The Student Room Group

Light alcoholic drinks

I dont really drink alcohol at the moment..But I anticipate that this may change once I start university in October.

I dont like the idea of getting pissed/ hammered after drinking very strong alcoholic drinks...so can anyone recommend any light alcoholic drinks so that I dont feel too left out by ending up with a cup of lemonade or something?

I hear malibu with coke is nice and light...I've never actually tried this, what are your thoughts? Any suggestions? Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 1
Yep, malibu and coke is quite light ... although Malibu is strong(ish) on it's own, it's brilliant when drunk with coke. :biggrin:.
And of course, Bacardi Breezers :wink:
Reply 2
Tiddletale
I dont really drink alcohol at the moment..But I anticipate that this may change once I start university in October.

I dont like the idea of getting pissed/ hammered after drinking very strong alcoholic drinks...so can anyone recommend any light alcoholic drinks so that I dont feel too left out by ending up with a cup of lemonade or something?

I hear malibu with coke is nice and light...I've never actually tried this, what are your thoughts? Any suggestions? Thanks :biggrin:

If this is what you wanna do then a good tip is to drink something like Apple Sourz, which is about half the strength of vodka I think, then mix is with lemonade = a nice, but appropriately weak drink.

Enjoy.
Reply 3
thefin
If this is what you wanna do then a good tip is to drink something like Apple Sourz, which is about half the strength of vodka I think, then mix is with lemonade = a nice, but appropriately weak drink.

Enjoy.

Ew that sounds disgusting!

If I were you I'd just make sure you don't gulp your drinks down. When you drink them fast they seem to affect you a lot more. Vodka, lime and lemonade is a nice drink to start off with as it doesn't taste very strongly of alcohol IMO. Malibu and coke too, but I'm not personally a fan of that (was at one point though, think I just got sick of it).
Reply 4
Vodka, Lime & Soda (or lemonade) is light enough, and there's a lot of liquid in there, thus you won't be making many trips back to the bar. Or else, Vodka and Orange/Cranberry/whatever will also go a long way. If you don't want to drink straight wine, ask for a spritzer - soda or lemonade. By diluting with mixers - fruit juice, soft drinks, whatever - it can be as 'light' as you like.
Reply 5
Rainy
Vodka, Lime & Soda (or lemonade) is light enough, and there's a lot of liquid in there, thus you won't be making many trips back to the bar. Or else, Vodka and Orange/Cranberry/whatever will also go a long way. If you don't want to drink straight wine, ask for a spritzer - soda or lemonade. By diluting with mixers - fruit juice, soft drinks, whatever - it can be as 'light' as you like.

NO!! i can't drink vodka at all! it gets me hammered after like 3 vodka lime and lemonades which is not a lot for me. I can easily drink 6-7 archers and lemonades or malibu and cokes and be nicely tipsy but vodka!! I really would be careful.

of course this could all just be me and I'm sure different drinks have different effects on different people but two of my friends can't drink vodka either.

I'd advise just finding something you like the taste of and not drinking too much. or my new method cos i tend to gulp my drinks down and its too expensive to keep buying them, alternate your alcoholic drinks with soft drinks. having a coke (or tap water if I'm feeling really cheap!) between my drinks helps me to keep tabs on how much I'm drinking!:biggrin:
Reply 6
anything with coke or lemonade.

malibu and archers are about 25% whilst vodka is about 40%, so if you want something light, try them.
I'd have singles if I were you, like Malibu and coke, Vodka and juice etc. Or even just cider.
in a pub: lager shandy?
bar: fuzzy navel, appletini, vodka-cran (like an above poster said, a juice/vodka combo...or a fuzzy navel/hairy navel/sex on the beach type cocktail?)
Reply 9
Taboo and Lemonade, it's nice enough and light to drink too.

Malibu and Cola/Lemonade/Cranberry is also very nice :smile:.

Latest