The Student Room Group

I want to travel somewhere but dunno how

I'm 23, I just graduated with a BA Philosophy (2:1). I'm now working a job which I was persuaded into.

I want to travel because why not. I'm getting older every day, I have £4k I saved up myself, this job is ****, and I have never ever got to do what I actually want to do, partly because my parents split up a few years ago and all the guilt and **** that goes with that. Had an incredibly **** time at uni because I was depressed all the ****ing time.

I need to learn to stand up for myself and do things on my own. Plus I need some experiences. I spent 3 years of university sat in my room. No joke. I mean obviously I did try and make friends, a lot. Kept having set backs though (I mistakenly lived with different people each year when I should have stuck to people I liked).

ANYWAY.

So yeah, I think maybe I should go to Asia? But I really don't care. Anywhere fun and cheap. To be honest I'd love to just travel right now. How much planning should I do? And how do I know what to do? Do I just buy a backpack, book a flight and go? I know some people who have gone to places and built schools and stuff with other young people, how would I find out how to do that? I sometimes think it's a bit patronising of rich Westerners to go to some poor third world country and swan around thinking they're doing good, but I'm sure some charitable efforts are genuinely good and it'd be cool to do something like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated if you can spare it. Thanks!
Reply 1
Maybe try somewhere where you can gain work experience aswell, its really good for employment prospects
But if you just want a place to relax, then the world is your oyster! (Dunno if thats how u use it lol)
What kind on experience do you want wherever you go? A hot place, cold place, doesnt matter etc?
There`s Egypt, Spain, LA...
Original post by Mav455
Maybe try somewhere where you can gain work experience aswell, its really good for employment prospects
But if you just want a place to relax, then the world is your oyster! (Dunno if thats how u use it lol)
What kind on experience do you want wherever you go? A hot place, cold place, doesnt matter etc?
There`s Egypt, Spain, LA...

I would say I would rather work than relax. If I'm not working then I'll explore. I definitely want to do something active rather than just lounge about.

I don't know what kind of work I would do though. I know that lots of people go to teach English but I don't know any other foreign language (German is my best, and it's not great) so I might not be so good. Also I don't know if teaching English would be very relevant to jobs I do in the future. I wouldn't be adverse to giving it a shot but I think it's quite competitive to do from what I gather.

Hot place would probably be preferable but there are some interesting cold places in the world.

Just had a look online at some pre-packaged 'experience' type things, where you volunteer for a couple weeks. They seem to be vague about what the volunteering would involve. I've also come across a couple of sites run by volunteering organisations, they seem a bit more genuine, and more like they care about doing something actually worthwhile.
Reply 3
Hey,
I am going to India this summer, to do some volunteering, leaving in eaxctly 41 days. Maybe you would like to join, it would be great having some other people on board. :-)
Original post by Petricia
Hey,
I am going to India this summer, to do some volunteering, leaving in eaxctly 41 days. Maybe you would like to join, it would be great having some other people on board. :-)

What are you doing over there? Are you doing it with an organisation? If so could you tell me a bit about them or link me to their site?

How did you decide on what to do, did you look at a number of organisations that offer this sort of thing? Also what stage are you at in life, if you don't mind me asking? I.e., just left college, or maybe finished uni?

Sorry for the load of questions.
I know someoneen how booked a flight somewhere couples of nigh kn a hotel and a back pack. Go tthe plane and had amazing time. Nothing ells planed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
TomorrowTomorrow

You sound frustrated with life. Similar to what I was going through. What I did was book my flight thinking a friend was doing the same...he backed out and I thought "so be it might as Well do it alone". All I had was a flight ticket with Uzbekistan airlines (they no longer exist)...no hotels nothing else planned.

So long story short. Dont think abt too much. You have £4k that sounds like a Gap Year trip. Thing about travelling is making sure you learn or adapt quickly to different cultures and manners that are not like yours.

Everyone makes a trip to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. Its the easiest and by far the most popular route for very simple reason. Its great for travellers as so many ppl along the way on the same life journey and you can always find transportations for the next destination easily.

Dont worry abt what you should pack or buy to much. I can offer you my list that I always make and follow to give you a rough idea.

As for working. Dont need to learn any language long as you know English. Simplest and best method to keeping busy.

And really do not need to worry about seeming to gloat a westerner helping the poor. A person will need wont care too much abt why you are helping as long as they get a house built, refuge collected, a field harvested. You sound sincere and this will show through in your manners.

The 'volunteer' scheme always puts me off since you pay so much to help. I rather go there cheap and use my own cash to do things rather then pay a corporation.

Thanks

Zak
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tomorrowtomorrow
I'm 23, I just graduated with a BA Philosophy (2:1). I'm now working a job which I was persuaded into.

I want to travel because why not. I'm getting older every day, I have £4k I saved up myself, this job is ****, and I have never ever got to do what I actually want to do, partly because my parents split up a few years ago and all the guilt and **** that goes with that. Had an incredibly **** time at uni because I was depressed all the ****ing time.

I need to learn to stand up for myself and do things on my own. Plus I need some experiences. I spent 3 years of university sat in my room. No joke. I mean obviously I did try and make friends, a lot. Kept having set backs though (I mistakenly lived with different people each year when I should have stuck to people I liked).

ANYWAY.

So yeah, I think maybe I should go to Asia? But I really don't care. Anywhere fun and cheap. To be honest I'd love to just travel right now. How much planning should I do? And how do I know what to do? Do I just buy a backpack, book a flight and go? I know some people who have gone to places and built schools and stuff with other young people, how would I find out how to do that? I sometimes think it's a bit patronising of rich Westerners to go to some poor third world country and swan around thinking they're doing good, but I'm sure some charitable efforts are genuinely good and it'd be cool to do something like that.

There are so many organisations that can help you with organising a trip to suit your needs and wants. It is always a much safer way of travelling, and you have your accomidation,meals and 24 our coordinators. I travelled to China as a volunteer English Teacher on my first trip.
Original post by sootandty
TomorrowTomorrow

You sound frustrated with life. Similar to what I was going through. What I did was book my flight thinking a friend was doing the same...he backed out and I thought "so be it might as Well do it alone". All I had was a flight ticket with Uzbekistan airlines (they no longer exist)...no hotels nothing else planned.

So long story short. Dont think abt too much. You have £4k that sounds like a Gap Year trip. Thing about travelling is making sure you learn or adapt quickly to different cultures and manners that are not like yours.

Everyone makes a trip to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. Its the easiest and by far the most popular route for very simple reason. Its great for travellers as so many ppl along the way on the same life journey and you can always find transportations for the next destination easily.

Dont worry abt what you should pack or buy to much. I can offer you my list that I always make and follow to give you a rough idea.

As for working. Dont need to learn any language long as you know English. Simplest and best method to keeping busy.

And really do not need to worry about seeming to gloat a westerner helping the poor. A person will need wont care too much abt why you are helping as long as they get a house built, refuge collected, a field harvested. You sound sincere and this will show through in your manners.

The 'volunteer' scheme always puts me off since you pay so much to help. I rather go there cheap and use my own cash to do things rather then pay a corporation.

Thanks

Zak

That sounds really cool. Do you mind if I ask you a couple of questions?

1. How was your trip?
2. Did you go to Thailand/Laos/Cambodia?
3. Did you work out there? If not did you come across people who did? I suppose I should look at working visas

ANYWAY.

hey! I'm a pre-uni gap year student but I just did five months travelling and absolutely loved it. I worked to save up for the first half of this year, then went to asia and australia. £4k will get you a lot of time in Asia (I went to thailand, cambodia, vietnam and malaysia) and it's so easy to get around and to book flights while you're there that you really don't need to plan anything! There's so much to see and do, and so much culture, that even if you don't work you'll spend all your time on your feet exploring - with a few days taking a break on island beaches, of course.

Volunteering-wise, examine all the package ones carefully. I saw quite a few companies demanding thousands for a few weeks working in an elephant sanctuary, and in those cases the money is most definitely going towards a middle man. I spent six weeks teaching English at a Thai university through a non-profit organisation, and it was absolutely wonderful. If you're a bit more pro-active than I was, you can probably just do it directly by contacting a charity and asking to do some work.
As you said you want to do something meaningful it would be better if you plan a volunteer trip to any of the popular location in Asia, like Thailand, India, Vietnam etc. And instead of teaching English only you can contribute in many community development projects which you can easily find through any volunteering organisation. There are thousands of them to assist you, just decide where you want to go and what you like to do.
I'm taking gap year too. I guess it depends how long you want your trip to last. I'm going to India and Nepal because I want to explore Asia and it is soooo cheap there plus there's so many things to see there.
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymousmouse
I'm taking gap year too. I guess it depends how long you want your trip to last. I'm going to India and Nepal because I want to explore Asia and it is soooo cheap there plus there's so many things to see there.

When are you going to India?:-) I am already here, and its really great.
Original post by Petricia
When are you going to India?:-) I am already here, and its really great.

That's awesome! I'm going in October :smile:
How is it over there? Any recommendations, what do you like best about India so far?

ANYWAY.

Hey, well as you name suggests always leaving until tomorrow. My advice is the same I give to everyone go and travel. It matures you so much, makes you appreciate everything you have in life, have respect for another culture, become independent I could rattle on for quite some time but it an awesome choice in my opinion.

I live & work in China teaching English I can only comment on China as thus far I have yet to travel outside of China but I would think that most of Asia is very similar in nature and my experience in China is absolutely amazing. I see lots of people come here for 1 year and 8 years later are still living here (I originally planned 6 months been her 1 year 4 months and no plans to leave).

4k is a lot of money and you can live it on for a year if you use it sensibly I guess (depends entirely on your lifestyle) 4k on average might last me 4-5 months (I over spend quite a bit, but recently started to save and its very easy to not spend ridiculous amounts of money) Simple things like eating the local food, not partying too much or not staying in the best hotels etc etc. But how comfortably you want to do it up to you and you alone.

As for the teaching part in China at least their are soo many jobs its becoming impossible to get enough native speakers into the country to fill them. Generally with a full time teaching job its 1 year contract and you will still have some time to explore and with your 4k savings and salary you can do anything you want. If you don't wanna commit 1 year their is always part time work that gives you the extra freedom however sometimes its hard to get. Also you don't need to any Mandarin or Cantonese to teach in China. If you want any more info on teaching give me a shout by message and il be happy to try to answer any questions.

As already mentioned here I also looked into the volunteering programs but was put off by the price of some of them. (I mean i'm giving up my time, sweat and hard work and I also have to pay to work for free?) I never understood it tbh, not saying that some of them are not good probably great in fact but in my mind its a little confusing.
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymousmouse
That's awesome! I'm going in October :smile:
How is it over there? Any recommendations, what do you like best about India so far?

OK, thats nice. Whats your plan?
I been here few times before actually, and doing some volunteering at the moment, which is just great. Do you have any plans for that? You should try to be in India before 23rd of October, that is Diwali, one of their big celebrations, and its really nice to experience. I love Udaipur, not big fan of Jaipur, North is very beautiful. Hampi is also great. I can write you more info, if you want:-)

Quick Reply

Latest