The Student Room Group

Ground zero gift shop offensive?

http://nypost.com/2014/05/18/outrage-over-911-museum-gift-shops-crass-souvenirs/

So they've opened the twin towers museum and included is a gift shop.

What do you think about this? Offensive? Necessary?

Scroll to see replies

Not really sure how I feel about it. People do like to take a momento home with them from memorial visits and stops they've made on vacation but it's kind of like having a gift shop right at the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor,(which they don't). Maybe a block away from the actual memorial but a gift shop right at ground zero does seem a little weird.
They have gift shops is pretty much all museums. From holocaust museums to the teddy bear museum. I don't see why the outrage? It is normal.
Reply 3
Original post by the mezzil
They have gift shops is pretty much all museums. From holocaust museums to the teddy bear museum. I don't see why the outrage? It is normal.

I'm still undecided how I feel about this, but having googled it seems that the Auschwitz gift shop sells books and photos rather than snow domes and pencils.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth
I'm still undecided how I feel about this, but having googled it seems that the Auschwitz gift shop sells books and photos rather than snow domes and pencils.

To be honest, if you go to ground zero, and all you buy is a pencil and a snow dome, you clearly have not understood anything inside the museum and its significance anyway, so I guess it is right to rip these people off with such things.
People pay for tours to Ground Zero and have done for some time now. And as mentioned above, there are many places where terrible things happened which use the history concerning that area to generate money. Go to the battlefields of the Somme and you'll find little gift shops.

I can understand why people might be upset. But this is certainly nothing new or unusual.
Having an ornament of the actual twin towers is somewhat odd. Nothing wrong with commemorating those who perished but doing it through tacky gifts just seems.....tasteless.
Reply 7
Original post by thunder_chunky
Having an ornament of the actual twin towers is somewhat odd. Nothing wrong with commemorating those who perished but doing it through tacky gifts just seems.....tasteless.

...American.
Reply 9
Remember, we are talking about Americans.
Gift shop=more money.
Money is needed, and people are too easily offended these days anyway.
This has America written all over it. It's kind of repugnant, but as the mezzil said - if that's all they take from the day, then they deserve to be ripped off.
(edited 9 years ago)
I have been to ground zero last year for 9/11. It had a very sad and depressing air to it, families are still grieving. I think the museum looks great and is a fitting tribute. The two beams of light last year looked spectacular and it felt ghost like. We noticed the gift shop and yes it is a little offensive. It's obviously different from most gift shops but it's completely unnecessary and it's a little insulting to the survivors and the friends and family of the deceased. It's tacky, if you want a souvenir then go to the many other shops.

I totally agree. Why should it be offensive...?
Of course it depends on the nature of the gifts. But the fact that there is a gift shop is neither offensive nor insensitive.
Original post by roger_europe
I totally agree. Why should it be offensive...?
Of course it depends on the nature of the gifts. But the fact that there is a gift shop is neither offensive nor insensitive.

I would say it is not offensive, it is just simply irrelevant. Whenever I go a museum I tend not to go the gift shop because I don't see the point. I always give a donation, but that is it.

I suppose America is just money driven and will do anything to increase profits. Some people will buy materialistic "stuff", and other people particularly families of the victims will find it offensive, which I empathize with. But I'd rather the person buy a snow dome and the profit go to the upkeep of the museum, than going down the road and spending the money on a big mac and chips. In my view anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Viva Emptiness
This has America written all over it. It's kind of repugnant, but as the mezzil said - if that's all they take from the day, then they deserve to be ripped off.

Quite possibly one of the few times you have ever agreed with me!
I would say it is not offensive, it is just simply irrelevant. Whenever I go a museum I tend not to go the gift shop because I don't see the point. I always give a donation, but that is it. I suppose America is just money driven and will do anything to increase profits. Some people will buy materialistic "stuff", and other people particularly families of the victims will find it offensive, which I empathize with. But I'd rather the person buy a snow dome and the profit go to the upkeep of the museum, than going down the road and spending the money on a big mac and chips. In my view anyway.
true!
well i find it quite reassuring that they have a gift shop. the Twin Towers were commercial centers, buying and selling stuff in the free American tradition.
the *******s who attacked them would have hated the gift shop... so i applaud it.
I think this tweet says it all:

Original post by the bear
well i find it quite reassuring that they have a gift shop. the Twin Towers were commercial centers, buying and selling stuff in the free American tradition.
the *******s who attacked them would have hated the gift shop... so i applaud it.

No gift shop means the terrorists win.
Reply 19
I think the museum is at the wrong place. Yes by all means have a museum but not one that is right in the middle of where the event happened and possibly on top of a place where someone lost their life. Now to pay their respects, the families have to go through an attraction where strangers are looking at their loved ones pictures in a darken room and they are not free to properly remember their loved ones. I find it insensitive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending