The Student Room Group

Access to Higher Education - Science

Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone had done this course? I am thinking of applying for it, but there seems to be hardly any information about the course and its content. If anyone could shed some light, that'd be great. Cheers :smile:
Original post by k17
Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone had done this course? I am thinking of applying for it, but there seems to be hardly any information about the course and its content. If anyone could shed some light, that'd be great. Cheers :smile:

I'm starting one in September, is it health science or science and engineering?
Original post by k17
Hi,

I'm currently doing this course !!

The course that I do has 6 subjects:
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Study skills
English
Maths

In biology I've done 7 units:
Cells and Tissues
Cardiovascular System
Nervous system
Nutrition digestion and excretion
Musculoskeletal system
Endocrine system
Reproductive system

Chemistry 4 units. Two are double units
Foundations of chemistry
Organic and inorganic chemistry
Chemical principles
Physical chemistry

Physics - 4 units
Magnetism and electricity
Physics
Optics and waves
Medical imaging

Maths - at level 2 but we have an option at doing it at level 3

English 3 units
Language history
Writing standard english
Practical writing

Study skills
Essay writing
Note taking and note making
Word processing
Examination skills

In our course we have 3 mandatory units:
Essay writing
Practical writing
Examination skills

If you have anymore questions don't be afraid to ask :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll be starting the health sciences access course in September.

Mine will consist of:
Psychology
Biology
Health Sciences
Sociology

Plus some extra stuff the college want you to participate in.

I want to go to uni next year to do nursing.
Most uni's accept the access course but i'd email around now to find out what's exactly expected of you.
Original post by k17
Hi,

I'm just coming to the end of my access science course. We had to cover a mixture of units from Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Anatomy & Physiology.

Biology
Cells
Biochemistry
Genetics
Microbiology

Physics
Energy & Forces In The Human Body
Health Physics
Electricity & Waves

Chemistry
Atomic Theory
Mole concepts
Pollution & Health

Anatomy & Physiology
Renal systems
Cardiovascular System
Coordination & Movement
Homeostasis

Maths
Numeracy
Algebra
Statistics

The way the units were chosen was really good as they often seemed to link into each other. That way you could apply something you learnt in a biology module to chemistry etc. We also had to compete modules in communications and an experimental research project.

The courses tend to vary from college to college depending on the awarding body. I have to be honest I didn't know much about it when I applied but I was advised to register for the Access Science course by the University I wanted to apply to.

Our assessments are a mixture of presentations, essays, scientific reports, planning and carrying out your own practical experiments and reporting you findings. A number of people on the course also said they weren't expecting any tests or exams but we did have some. Where we did have them there was usually other work that went alongside them to make up an overall grade. Sometimes an assignment or a series of worksheets or even both.

If there's anything else you want to know then just ask me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending