The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature Poetry Exam Discussion

Post exam discussion...
Which question did you choose?
What did you compare it with?
Thoughts about the unseen poem?
and anything else you want to discuss

Scroll to see replies

I thought the exam was really great!! :smile: I did ghazal and I compared it to to his coy mistress!!! That was the only poem that I really learned, so it was good!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Compared Ghazal to Manhunt! Thought it went well :smile:
i thought it went well but so did everyone else in the country so i think the grade boundaries will be super high seeing as how everyone predicted at least one of the poems right
and the unseen wasn't that hard to write about

Out of interest, how many pages did everyone write?

I compared ghazal with to his coy mistress (the obvious choice)
whoever did farmer's bride, you'll probably get marks just for choosing the harder one :rolleyes:
I compared Ghazal to To His Coy Mistress, but the only worry for me was that it said 'form and structure'

If I did a few paragraphs about form and structure of the two poems, but then started talking about language for effect. Will I still be credited for all these points? I structured my language points in a way that talked about structure, e.g. 'Marvell places this word here for effect, then listed many effects of the word and interpretations etc...'

Original post by ScarletXxXRose
i thought it went well but so did everyone else in the country so i think the grade boundaries will be super high seeing as how everyone predicted at least one of the poems right
and the unseen wasn't that hard to write about

Out of interest, how many pages did everyone write?

I compared ghazal with to his coy mistress (the obvious choice)
whoever did farmer's bride, you'll probably get marks just for choosing the harder one :rolleyes:

I did the farmers bride, but I made a mistake because I've never seen it in my life and I wrote about the end of the first page as I didn't know it had a back, how much marks will be deducted? I thought I made some good points though... I compared it to 'hour' but I'm panicking a lot right now, thinking they won't give me any marks.
Reply 6
I thought it was quite good! I compared Ghazal to to his coy mistress which were the only 2 poems I really prepared properly for since they were the predicted ones so I'm happy with how it turned out! The unseen was fine too I think, though I'm always weaker at that because it takes me a while to get into it but I made a few good points I think. I forgot a personal response though, I could kick myself!
Reply 7
I do Character and Voice so I compared On a Portrait of a Deaf Man to Casehistory :smile:
I'm glad people's predictions for Character and Voice were correct :biggrin:

I wrote about 8 pages, lol.
I wrote about 9 pages altogether

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I didn't finish YET AGAIN :frown: But other than that I think it went ok... I compared On a Portrait of a Deaf Man to Brendon Gallacher :smile:
Original post by Sacred Ground
I did the farmers bride, but I made a mistake because I've never seen it in my life and I wrote about the end of the first page as I didn't know it had a back, how much marks will be deducted? I thought I made some good points though... I compared it to 'hour' but I'm panicking a lot right now, thinking they won't give me any marks.

sorry to be harsh, but since you didn't write about the end, you'll definitely get marked down
and seeing as how you've never seen it before, i think you might think you made good points but everyone else would of studied it in detail and would of made even better points
what exactly were the points you made?
I had read that unseen poem before; to say that I hate poetry what are the chances of that?!
sorry to be harsh, but since you didn't write about the end, you'll definitely get marked down
and seeing as how you've never seen it before, i think you might think you made good points but everyone else would of studied it in detail and would of made even better points

I thought the examiners can never deduct marks, if they see something that's not right, don't they ignore it??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by marioman
I had read that unseen poem before; to say that I hate poetry what are the chances of that?!

That was lucky :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Ghazal and The Manhunt although I wish I had done To His Coy Mistress now.

Also, the unseen poem is actually in the CGP GCSE English Unseen Poetry Guide; my friend showed me. Not really unseen then?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm, its a misogynistic poem as it portrays disrespect for women. The bride talks to birds etc which gives a sense of fairy tales like Snow White and the fact she is I prisoner implies a sense of the Cinderella fairy tale and the farmer is seen as the wicked step mother. The bride is clearly distressed, she was exploited for her families financial gain, forceful marriage etc.
Would talking about 'form and structure' more than language get you more points - I feel as though I overdid the structure stuff.

Also, did form of the 'ghazal' mean about the persian history and stuff?
I compared Ghazal to The Farmers Bride, which i was going to compare anyway if Ghazal came up, but both of them were named hahaha! It went really well, as my English teacher told me a lot, I wrote about 7 pages on that, then i was left with 30 minutes to do the unseen, and this year it was surprisingly easy!! I got a lot of different interpretations from it, and managed to write 4 pages on that. So Overall this makes up for my absolute failure in the OMAM and Inspector calls!
Original post by FREYA2898
I thought the examiners can never deduct marks, if they see something that's not right, don't they ignore it??

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's basically what i meant,
but ignoring half of the essay means that you won't get a lot of marks
Question 7, compared Ghazal with The Farmer's Bride.

Unlike everyone else on this thread, I think this exam went awfully. :C

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending