The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature Poetry Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ozzin
I compared Les Grands Signeurs with Medusa for Question 2. I only wrote about 3 pages in total although I think I explained most of my points quite well (and I do have quite small writing).

SAME and I did 3 pages small writing...not sure it was enough? How did you find the question?
Out of the Blue and Yellow Palm :biggrin:
Original post by MattJGUK
Don't talk to me of GCSE poetry. I've had an earful
And I get tearful when I've done an exam or two.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love you

everyone, tomorrow night I'M A PARDY bc no exams for a week yesyes

Who did T.F.B and Ghazal?
Original post by Master25
What a great mistake! I am pleased to tell you that you are supposed to talk about language in a structure question as long as you link the two. I hope you did very well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 184
Original post by RahhSabina
Am I the only that compared Les Grande Seigneur with My Last Duchess
I wouldn't have thought so, It's sensible. I did Medusa
Original post by ilovemusic386
I love you

everyone, tomorrow night I'M A PARDY bc no exams for a week yesyes

Who did T.F.B and Ghazal?

I did The Farmers Bride and Ghazal, and I did the question about structure and form. Some of the points I made: I spoke about animal/nature imagery a bit for language, for Ghazal's structure I wrote about rhyming couplets suggests their togetherness and that 1 line each in the couplet could represent one person. For the farmers bride, I wrote about the first stanza, when the first words were a bit slanted, I said that it looks like the words are forming a downwards step which is like a breaking up of the relationship. I kinda of messed up writing about form because I mentioned some form stuff in the structure paragraph. :s-smilie: what did you write for form? :confused:
i did farmers bride and manhunt. I KNOW its odd but can anyone reassure me that ill still get marks? some points i made were that manhunt and farmers bride both have the theme of emotinal pain etc..... Please will i get marks even if its such a odd comparison?
For those who chose to do the Ghazal question did you also talk about language? Feeling slightly worried as I only made points about structure, since the question restricted me to do so:s-smilie:
Original post by isobel197
So did I! I compared Ghazal with quickdraw, which no one else seems to have done and wrote ONLY about structure for all my points, even on unseen! :'( could't have messed up more!

Ah, did you include quotes though to go with your points about the structure? If you did, that's good. If you didn't I'm sure you'll still get credit. I couldn't think of much to say about the structure for mine, so I just ended up focusing on the language.

Essentially, I wrote some jumbled up stuff that probably barely made sense. Let's hope the examiners are generous/grade boundaries are low! >< I'm actually glad it's over despite it not going well.
Original post by Dave8991
For those who chose to do the Ghazal question did you also talk about language? Feeling slightly worried as I only made points about structure, since the question restricted me to do so:s-smilie:

I did 3 paragraphs on structure and form, 2 paragraphs on language. I don't think you'll be penalised for only writing about structure, since it does specifically mention it in the question.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 190
I knew what the poem was trying to portray, like the father didn't want to accept it and the son accepted it, and they both grieved, but i wanted to be kinda original, so i basically done something probably no one else would have thought of, so i'm worried the examiner might mark me down :/

I basically said that the father puts the things where he does, not to show that he hasnt forgotten about her, but to make it seem as if he is griefing when he really isnt, "her side of the bed" i said suggests that it wasn't shared, possibly showing tension within the relationship, and how the relationship between the mother and father was never actually mentioned (like it never actually said they were husband and wife or girlfriend and boyfriend or even friends) which i said shows that the relationship wasn't even worth mentioning, and i said the father was looking through the mothers thing possibly looking for something that he needed, and it says "as if it were a crime", so i said it may have been something he didnt want anyone to know which is why he spent "an hour" putting everything back so there were no suspiscions, and i said the boy may know this but he doesn't want to think about it, because in the last stanza on the first line it said "and that is all." the full stop could signify he didn't want to think about any of it so he stops himself, but the child is still grieving because he phones the mother possibly just to hear her voice on the answering machine. I'm worried because "and that is all." was kinda in reference to life and death, but i linked it to the child not wanting to think about what the father is doing... will i lose marks for that?
Original post by StrangeBanana
I did 3 paragraphs on structure and form, 2 paragraphs on language. I don't think you'll be penalised for only writing about structure, since it does specifically mention it in the question.

Really.... REALLY hope that you're right about that!
Original post by EastGuava
Ah, did you include quotes though to go with your points about the structure? If you did, that's good. If you didn't I'm sure you'll still get credit. I couldn't think of much to say about the structure for mine, so I just ended up focusing on the language.

Essentially, I wrote some jumbled up stuff that probably barely made sense. Let's hope the examiners are generous/grade boundaries are low! >< I'm actually glad it's over despite it not going well.

I included like one quote, cause i didn't know how to use quotes for structure!? Fingers crossed for low grade boundaries! Hope you do well!
Original post by Dave8991

I only wrote about structure too because thats all the question specified, but I've spoken to loads of people who did language too, just hoping that they'll be low grade boundaries!
Really.... REALLY hope that you're right about that!

Your teacher's going to know better than me, ask them if you're worried. :smile:
Reply 195
Original post by chickatitta
SAME and I did 3 pages small writing...not sure it was enough? How did you find the question?

I didn't think it was too bad. I completely freaked at Question 1 and we had done Les Grands Signeurs and Medusa this morning, so it was a pretty easy decision. I do think I forgot a bit about the structure though.
I included like one quote, cause i didn't know how to use quotes for structure!? Fingers crossed for low grade boundaries! Hope you do well!

I hope you do well too :smile: as someone said, the question said structure - I just decided to ignore that halfway through :L - but I think we'll all be alright.
I think i got the wrong idea of the poem, i said it was to show that the father was left more heartbroken than the son: but i backed it up with quotes and so forth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone do the foundation? I finished section a and wrote about 4 pages for that and for section b i barely finished section a and didn't do section b so i'm guessing i lost around 9 or 10 marks out of 54 for that. I did brendon gallecher and give because they both feel lonely and very isolated and are looking for friendship and someone to care for them and appreciate them.
I just found out that I spoke about a daughter and not a son as i got confused with who the speaker was, will I lose out on marks because of this? I did also talk about how the poet employed certain views and the father.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending