The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature Poetry Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

1.) If you compared Ghazal or The Farmer's Bride with something unusual, it's absoluely fine, as long as you did it well. I compared Sonnet 116 with Born Yesterday and I turned out fine. :tongue:

2.) I think the unseen poem's lovely! My unseen poem last year was also really nice, but the one the year before ('A Marriage') was AWFUL.

3.) I would have killed for Farmer's Bride last year :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Am I the only one who did question 8(The Farmers Bride) Personally I find it easier.
I compared it to "In Paris With You" as they seem quite similar at the end, plus I suck at structure and form so for me personally, talking about effects was easier.
And I found the unseen poetry so sad however it was quite easy to see points and contrast.
Good luck to everybody though!
I feel like the only one who's done question 8, I think I've failed aha
Original post by chloeyay
I feel like the only one who's done question 8, I think I've failed aha

Me and another have done question 8 too, scroll up and you'll see us discuss it. I looked at question 7 and after 5 minutes of staring at it i was like....nope. xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why on Earth did everyone go for the Ghazal question, is it even possible to wright an essay on structure and form? Furthermore, why would you compare it to 'To His Coy Mistress'?
Original post by 3.2.1.Panic
Why on Earth did everyone go for the Ghazal question, is it even possible to wright an essay on structure and form? Furthermore, why would you compare it to 'To His Coy Mistress'?

My thoughts exactly! However after the exam I found people who done question 7, they only wrote around 2 paragraphs. However I wrote about 4 detailed ones. Hopefully I can that C aha :smile:
Ghazal and To His Coy Mistress was something I had spent two hours planning a thesis on. I couldn't imagine my luck when the exact question I prepared for - in the same day - popped up in question 07. This exam was very much the opposite of Tuesday's, I felt. I flopped that one so badly.
Same here! I managed to write at least three pages on the endings. Half my friends who did question 7 didn't even mention form

Posted from TSR Mobile
I compared Les Grands Seigneur to The Ruined Maid but extremely worried as the question was asking about relationships, I feel my response was abit far- fetched as Ruined Maid was a prostitute..
Original post by BeeBuzz
That's actually really good! I like the fact you talked about nature and love and how that basically disagrees with the end of the poem. I'm worried because i hardly talked about other parts of the poem. I probably should have mentioned the end and used the rest of the poem more to help enforce my ideas. I'd say you did really well with your points! I should have picked up on the idea of it being an unrequited love as well, and the weakening of the love towards the end, like you mentioned. The fact that you said it juxtaposes the rest of the poem has to go under talk about structure as well, as in the order of moods and how it changes at the end to confuse the reader. In the mark scheme it says talk about structure, so that's good :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! And I hope so! Your ideas were great too! Honestly, I don't think you needed to refer to the rest of the poem cuz the question specifically asked about the end! I did quite the opposite.. Hahah! Hoping for low grade boundaires!!!
I compared Ghazal and QuickDraw and did in depth analysis of the form and structure but didn't really quote as I thought that wasn't required! Do you think this would lower my grade if my analysis is good?
I did The Farmer's Bride and compared it to To His Coy Mistress, I thought it went really quite well, a better question couldn't have come up :biggrin:
Original post by Kirankhalsa
Thank you! And I hope so! Your ideas were great too! Honestly, I don't think you needed to refer to the rest of the poem cuz the question specifically asked about the end! I did quite the opposite.. Hahah! Hoping for low grade boundaires!!!

Hahaha omg low grade boundaries would be the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kdizzle97
I chose to compare Come On, Come Back and Belfast Confetti
I really liked the unseen poem I started talking about how the regular structure shows that the son appears strong on the outside but is broken on the inside. Also, I talked about how the father and son could have ended their relationship due to their incredibly different reactions to the death!
Found the exam alright, hoping to get a B/A :biggrin:

I compared the same poems as you!!!! I basically just talked about differing line lengths creating a broken and fragmented feel which links to the confusion of the speakers. I also talked about the punctuation and metaphorical use of punctuation in BC and then enjambment in both but omg so relieved because most people at my school chose question one haha! Good luck for results day :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leahthesloth
I compared the same poems as you!!!! I basically just talked about differing line lengths creating a broken and fragmented feel which links to the confusion of the speakers. I also talked about the punctuation and metaphorical use of punctuation in BC and then enjambment in both but omg so relieved because most people at my school chose question one haha! Good luck for results day :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool! Most people chose to do the Out Of the Blue in my school as well :biggrin: Sounds like you made some good comparisons, I wrote about very similar things to you haha. Thanks!,you too. Hope you do well :smile:
Original post by leahthesloth

Posted from TSR Mobile

I chose Come On Come Back and the Right Word!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 236
Ben4 I compared Come on Come Back and The Right Word as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 237
Original post by Ben4
I chose Come On Come Back and the Right Word!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I also compared Come on Come Back to The Right Word, what comparisons did you make?
i compared Out of The Blue and The falliing leaves... both people are falling!! except one is on the verge of falling while the other shows people already falling. The falling leaves is like a continuation of out of the blue

I talked about: Equal stanza lengths but alternating line lengths showing the person is trying to take control but it finding it difficult to do so and the link to falling leaves was that falling leaves had only one stanza with alternating line lengths showing that the falling has already happened, there is no time to think, absolutely no sense of control, just alternating line lengths.

I then talked about imagery, a bird goes by, and like a snowflake
- i talked about how the bird is a simple of hope but the fact that it goes by suggests hope is leaving. Alternative was that it linked to white dove which is a form of the the holy spirit, could be foreshadowing his death.
- Snowflakes inevitably melt so it shows the people were doomed to die which has a similar effect to the dove doing by, no hope, doom, and also that a snowflake is individual, you will never find a snowflake that is the same shape so its suggesting that conflict doesn't just affect groups of people, it effects everyone individually linking to out of the blue as it is an individual who is the focus of the poem.

I also said that out of the blue uses the colour 'white' as a shirt and falling leaves says 'brown' as the leaves
White suggests hope but also suggests surrender and cowardice. Brown is the colour before black so suggests someone is on the verge of dying. I said the link is that cowardice and surrender will leave you vulnerable to conflict so you die:smile: white being the surrender and brown being the dying :smile:

haha tenuous links im sure
Original post by HarjKS
I did the 'Conflict' cluster and compared 'Out of the Blue' with 'Bayonet Charge'.

i compared Out of The Blue and The falliing leaves... both people are falling!! except one is on the verge of falling while the other shows people already falling. The falling leaves is like a continuation of out of the blue

I talked about: Equal stanza lengths but alternating line lengths showing the person is trying to take control but it finding it difficult to do so and the link to falling leaves was that falling leaves had only one stanza with alternating line lengths showing that the falling has already happened, there is no time to think, absolutely no sense of control, just alternating line lengths.

I then talked about imagery, a bird goes by, and like a snowflake
- i talked about how the bird is a symbol of hope but the fact that it goes by suggests hope is leaving. Alternative was that it linked to white dove which is a form of the the holy spirit, could be foreshadowing his death.
- Snowflakes inevitably melt so it shows the people were doomed to die which has a similar effect to the dove doing by, no hope, doom, and also that a snowflake is individual, you will never find a snowflake that is the same shape so its suggesting that conflict doesn't just affect groups of people, it effects everyone individually linking to out of the blue as it is an individual who is the focus of the poem.

I also said that out of the blue uses the colour 'white' as a shirt and falling leaves says 'brown' as the leaves
White suggests hope but also suggests surrender and cowardice. Brown is the colour before black so suggests someone is on the verge of dying. I said the link is that cowardice and surrender will leave you vulnerable to conflict so you die white being the surrender and brown being the dying

haha tenuous links im sure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending