The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature Poetry Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JessieeMayy
Think I did 4, possibly 5 in total. It's not the amount you write though, it's about what you write. My teacher is always saying a C grade student will write pages and pages of blag, whereas A and B grade students will write less, more precise stuff. So don't worry!

From doing past papers and my teacher marking it, i've done like 7-8 pages on each, and my teacher still gives me an A???
Original post by StrangeBanana
I did 3 paragraphs on structure and form, 2 paragraphs on language. I don't think you'll be penalised for only writing about structure, since it does specifically mention it in the question.

You will, because you get marks on writing about Language. It's poetry, you have to write about language. They structure the question like that to confuse you and get you to write the wrong things/not write the right things
Original post by stephanieuwa
You will, because you get marks on writing about Language. It's poetry, you have to write about language. They structure the question like that to confuse you and get you to write the wrong things/not write the right things

Fair enough; sucks for that guy.
Fair enough; sucks for that guy.

He's not alone, loads of people seem to have done it.

What did you compare Ghazal with?
Reply 244
Who else did Come on Come Back in the conflict cluster?

Posted from TSR Mobile
He's not alone, loads of people seem to have done it.

What did you compare Ghazal with?

Ouch.

Hour; did you do this question as well? Which poem did you compare it to?
Ouch.

Hour; did you do this question as well? Which poem did you compare it to?

Yeah I know it's a shame because we're marked on AO1, AO2 and A03, but they've missed out on entire AO point, so they can't get very high.

Yass, I did. I compared Ghazal with The Manhunt. Why did you choose hour and how did you find the unseen?
Yeah I know it's a shame because we're marked on AO1, AO2 and A03, but they've missed out on entire AO point, so they can't get very high.

Yass, I did. I compared Ghazal with The Manhunt. Why did you choose hour and how did you find the unseen?

:frown:

Cool. I don't know, it was just instinctive. :tongue: Worked out pretty good, though. I thought the unseen was okay, didn't really like the poem that much but each to their own. How did you find it?
:frown:

Cool. I don't know, it was just instinctive. :tongue: Worked out pretty good, though. I thought the unseen was okay, didn't really like the poem that much but each to their own. How did you find it?

Same I found the poem boring, and I struggled with my timing. I felt like after going through the poem, I only had like 20 minutes left to come out with an A* response.

I did the second question about the ending and compared Ghazal and Farmers Bride. I didn't specifically talk about structure since there wasn't anything to say but I said that the ending was juxtaposed to the rest of the poem(which could be seen as a structural point). Apart from that, I mainly analysed the themes and language. Do u think that's okay?
Original post by ozmo19
Post exam discussion...
Which question did you choose?
What did you compare it with?
Thoughts about the unseen poem?
and anything else you want to discuss

Compared Les Grands Seigneurs to Medusa. It was obvious that was the poem that'd come up because Les Grands Seigneurs was the only poem that hadn't been up before hahaha
Original post by Kirankhalsa
I did the second question about the ending and compared Ghazal and Farmers Bride. I didn't specifically talk about structure since there wasn't anything to say but I said that the ending was juxtaposed to the rest of the poem(which could be seen as a structural point). Apart from that, I mainly analysed the themes and language. Do u think that's okay?

Even though they specifically asked for the ending, I'm pretty sure you were supposed to talk about the entire poem. I agree there isn't allot for structure, but they say that you have to talk about structure because it's a Band 6 skill and it's asked for in the markscheme.

As long as you talked about structure and it's a relevant and detailed point, you can still get a Band 5/Band 6, especially if you explored with your themes and language, so I wouldn't worry.
Original post by Superfaye
I do Character and Voice so I compared On a Portrait of a Deaf Man to Casehistory :smile:
I'm glad people's predictions for Character and Voice were correct :biggrin:

I wrote about 8 pages, lol.

Oh dear, I only wrote like 4/5 for the whole exam :frown: but I feel like I wrote enough? haha
I was on a computer, since I have provision to. I wrote 4 and a half pages on computer, 3 and a half on the poetry and a page on the unseen. I compared The Farmer's Bride with Ghazal - the second question on the ending, because I talked about structure and form too. I hated the first question.

I hated the unseen poem. I said about form, structure and language. For form, I said it was a narrative and had the first 3 stanzas have the ABAB rhyme scheme like a ballad. For structure, I went on to say about the forth stanza having the ABBA rhyme scheme to symbolise the change in feeling and recognition that the speaker isn't perfect and he is criticising his father for the same things he's doing to cope. I said the title suggests about the distance with his father, and the 2 symbolises how this has happened before and maybe happened the previous year on the anniversary?

I didn't really talk much about it because I ran out of time. Only did a 2 sentence conclusion because I was forced to stop.
Original post by WillWalker23
I was on a computer, since I have provision to. I wrote 4 and a half pages on computer, 3 and a half on the poetry and a page on the unseen. I compared The Farmer's Bride with Ghazal - the second question on the ending, because I talked about structure and form too. I hated the first question.

I hated the unseen poem. I said about form, structure and language. For form, I said it was a narrative and had the first 3 stanzas have the ABAB rhyme scheme like a ballad. For structure, I went on to say about the forth stanza having the ABBA rhyme scheme to symbolise the change in feeling and recognition that the speaker isn't perfect and he is criticising his father for the same things he's doing to cope. I said the title suggests about the distance with his father, and the 2 symbolises how this has happened before and maybe happened the previous year on the anniversary?

I didn't really talk much about it because I ran out of time. Only did a 2 sentence conclusion because I was forced to stop.

I compared those two for that question as well! I found it quite difficult! What sort of things did u include in your essay?
Even though they specifically asked for the ending, I'm pretty sure you were supposed to talk about the entire poem. I agree there isn't allot for structure, but they say that you have to talk about structure because it's a Band 6 skill and it's asked for in the markscheme.

As long as you talked about structure and it's a relevant and detailed point, you can still get a Band 5/Band 6, especially if you explored with your themes and language, so I wouldn't worry.

I talked about the whole poem but I don't think I made enough links to the question! I wrote one whole paragraph on how the man is more powerful in both poems. But that has nothing to do with the ending 😭
Original post by Kirankhalsa
I talked about the whole poem but I don't think I made enough links to the question! I wrote one whole paragraph on how the man is more powerful in both poems. But that has nothing to do with the ending ������

I did the same thing, however, I completely misread the question and I didn't focus my essay on the ending but on the poem as a whole. :mad:
Reply 257

Incorrect. The mark scheme states 'candidates talk about language/structure or form'. If someone talked about structure well enough, although difficult, it is still hypothetically possible to get full marks.
To anyone who succeeds this I praise you, but yes, mark scheme allows it.
Reply 258
Original post by RahhSabina
Am I the only that compared Les Grande Seigneur with My Last Duchess

Nope :smile: we are the minority though so actually our ideas are less likely to be repeated, meaning the examiner thinks we are more original. Woo us!
Original post by mphilips
I did the same thing, however, I completely misread the question and I didn't focus my essay on the ending but on the poem as a whole. :mad:

It was really difficult to just talk about the ending. 1 of my paragraphs had nothing to do with it at all. I don't know how we were meant to approach such a question tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending