The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature Poetry Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kirankhalsa
It was really difficult to just talk about the ending. 1 of my paragraphs had nothing to do with it at all. I don't know how we were meant to approach such a question tbh.

Yes I noticed that after I had found out what the question actually was, I wouldn't of have been able to write that much about it as there were not a lot of points you could write about. I just hope that I don't loose too many marks.
I compared those two for that question as well! I found it quite difficult! What sort of things did u include in your essay?

See you have to loosely define the "ending" of the poem - I did the last 3 stanzas of the Farmer's Bride and the last 4 couplets of Ghazal.
Original post by WillWalker23
See you have to loosely define the "ending" of the poem - I did the last 3 stanzas of the Farmer's Bride and the last 4 couplets of Ghazal.

I wrote one paragraph about the last 2 lines of each poem.. And I wrote one paragraph about nature linking to the ending of the poem. (How nature suggests they are dependent on each other and care for each other but the ending betrays this thought). And I wrote 1 paragraph about how the man is dominating in both poems (turned the key upon her fast) etc ..but that paragraph literally has nothing to do with the ending. I just hope I can get an A overall :frown:
Original post by Robowarrior
Guys I think I failed, I compared Ghazal to Praise song and wrote about nature imagery, animal imagery, repetition and structure. Is that even right?

I compared the same!! I thought I was alone! Because it was about structure i think writing about repitition is good :smile: I wrote the differences of structure in the stanzas and the start of each stanza... i really hope it was alright :frown:
I compared ghazal to sonnet 43 but I only compared language not structure. Is it possible to get into band 5?
'Come On, Come Back' with 'Belfast Confetti' :smile:
I did the character and voice section of the anthology and I compared on a portrait of a deaf man to the hunchback in the park. If my teacher didn't go through on a portrait of a deaf man the day before the exam, I would've been screwed!
I talked about the whole poem but I don't think I made enough links to the question! I wrote one whole paragraph on how the man is more powerful in both poems. But that has nothing to do with the ending ������

Yeah it does because in the farmer's bride there's a patriarchal society where men have all the power? And he exerts this power when he rapes her. It has everything to do with the ending. Don't sweat. As long as you spoke about the whole poem
Original post by ghlgb
Incorrect. The mark scheme states 'candidates talk about language/structure or form'. If someone talked about structure well enough, although difficult, it is still hypothetically possible to get full marks.
To anyone who succeeds this I praise you, but yes, mark scheme allows it.

In Section A, a few students may only write about one poem. In this case, award
marks for AO1 and AO2 as normal, but deduct the requisite number of marks
according to bullets missed on AO3 e.g. Candidate scores in Band 4 on AO1 and
AO2. Having achieved 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4, the mark should be 22. However,
candidate has missed 2 AO3 bullets from each of Bands 1, 2 and 3, therefore 6
marks must be deducted, leaving a final mark of 16.
In Section A, students may write about the named poem but compare it with a poem
from a different cluster. Mark as normal no penalty.
If a candidate fails to write about the named poem, mark the response as normal but
write “Minor Rubric” on the front of the script and refer it to a senior examiner.

All specifications in English Literature must require students to demonstrate their
ability to:

AO1
respond to texts critically and imaginatively; select and evaluate relevant textual
detail to illustrate and support interpretations

AO2
explain how language, structure and form contribute to writers’ presentation of ideas,
themes and settings

AO3
make comparisons and explain links between texts, evaluating writers’ different ways
of expressing meaning and achieving effects

AO4
relate texts to their social, cultural and historical contexts; explain how texts have
been influential and significant to self and other readers in different contexts and at
different times

tl;dr: The mark scheme clearly states if you miss bullet points in any of AOI's you will fail to access the range of marks possible. Not talking about language will stop you from gaining maximum marks. You cannot get full marks and not talk about language.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 269
So if you compare two poems averagely without structure, what would you get? And what would you get if you included structure and analysed averagely?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 270
So if you compare two poems averagely without structure, what would you get? And what would you get if you included structure and analysed averagely?
Could I still get an A or A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 271
Original post by stephanieuwa
In Section A, students may write about the named poem but compare it with a poem
If a candidate fails to write about the named poem, mark the response as normal but
write “Minor Rubric” on the front of the script and refer it to a senior examiner.

All specifications in English Literature must require students to demonstrate their
ability to:

AO1
respond to texts critically and imaginatively; select and evaluate relevant textual

AO2
explain how language, structure and form contribute to writers’ presentation of ideas,
themes and settings

AO3
make comparisons and explain links between texts, evaluating writers’ different ways

AO4
relate texts to their social, cultural and historical contexts; explain how texts have
been influential and significant to self and other readers in different contexts and at
different times

tl;dr: The mark scheme clearly states if you miss bullet points in any of AOI's you will fail to access the range of marks possible. Not talking about language will stop you from gaining maximum marks. You cannot get full marks and not talk about language.

Sorry, perhaps we are referring to different sections of the specification.
Take a look at page 5 of this document:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-47102H-W-MS-JUN13.PDF

Not that it matters anyway, the exam is over.

ability to:

AO1

AO2
themes and settings

AO3

AO4
different times

The mark scheme usually says language AND/OR structure AND/OR form(AO2). So it is possible to get top grades even without talking about language as you would've still covered AO2 and clearly the question was asking to talk about structure and form. You probably won't get credited for talking about language but tbh we'll just have to wait till results day
Original post by ghlgb

Do u think I'll lose marks for saying similes instead of metaphors ( "If I am the grass and you are the breeZe in Ghazal) when comparing the poems? Lol!
Original post by 3.2.1.Panic
Why on Earth did everyone go for the Ghazal question, is it even possible to wright an essay on structure and form? Furthermore, why would you compare it to 'To His Coy Mistress'?

I did 'Ghazal' compared to 'The Manhunt' I thought there was loads to write about. The couplet long stanzas, the enjambment, metaphors, end-stopped stanzas, and the language. Although it asks you about form and structure, you should always mention language too :smile: I thought the endings one was harder!
Original post by Dave8991
The mark scheme usually says language AND/OR structure AND/OR form(AO2). So it is possible to get top grades even without talking about language as you would've still covered AO2 and clearly the question was asking to talk about structure and form. You probably won't get credited for talking about language but tbh we'll just have to wait till results day

I don't mean to come across as blunt, but you do get marks on talking about language. It's poetry. Poetry. My teacher literally the first thing she said when we came out of the exam was "You were supposed to talk about language, did you talk about language?"
Original post by ghlgb

True, aqa really tried to confuse people this year, but when it's poetry, how can you NOT talk about language? This'll probably reflect in the grade boundaries, the questions were phrased very weirdly.
Original post by JessieeMayy
I did 'Ghazal' compared to 'The Manhunt' I thought there was loads to write about. The couplet long stanzas, the enjambment, metaphors, end-stopped stanzas, and the language. Although it asks you about form and structure, you should always mention language too :smile: I thought the endings one was harder!

I did Ghazal and the Manhunt as well! I talked about the conditional verbs as well. Preaching to the choir: Always talk about language.

The ending one did seem allot harder.

How'd you find the unseen?
Reply 278
I also did Ghazal and The Manhunt but I now believe I have ****ed up the entire question.

In my answer, I emphasised and talked about form and structure throughout my answer (comparing them both) but I HARDLY even talked about language because I thought that I might not get a lot of marks for it so mainly just talked about form and structure because that was what the question was asking.

However now I am thinking I should have talked about language. I only made a few simple comments about language. For example, the two-line stanzas in Ghazal allow Khalvati (the poet) to fire different ideas and metaphors about love in quick succession - they are not supposed to be connected as in a narrative and I then talked about how this is in contrast with The Manhunt, which is wrote in the first-person narrative to consequently make the poem seem direct and convey the impact of the physical, mental and physcological effects of war. Similarly, to Ghazal, both poems are in two-line couplets but there is a contrast in the sense that The Manhunt displays fragmentation in the relationship (shown by the separate stanzas) and Ghazal is more of an expressive, desire of love etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I did Ghazal and the Manhunt as well! I talked about the conditional verbs as well. Preaching to the choir: Always talk about language.

The ending one did seem allot harder.

How'd you find the unseen?

I thought the unseen was ok actually. I was really scared because every time I tried to practice I could never link the language/structure points to an idea, but I managed to in the exam! I wrote about the 10 syllables per a line being like a heartbeat, reinforcing the fathers broken heart, and that it also represent the time ticking away. I wrote about how the strict structure suggests the speaker was in control of his emotions more than the father. I didn't mention loads on language :/ but hopefully I've done enough to get my predicted grade. How did you find it?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending