The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE History Paper 2 - Post Exam Discussion!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jeevanr21
I got that more sources opposed, you? :smile:

I got more for it?

A agreed - was the cartoon about playing football and that war was fun for soldiers,
B agreed - was saying about how the newspaper wanted to know more information
C disagreed - showed the extent of the raids and describe factually some of the experiences of war
D disagreed - a portrait showing how the soldiers experienced chemical warfare, yet it slightly agreed, as the painting or whatever it was didn't show any dead bodies, just soldiers suffering so not the complete truth.
E and F agreed - described the battle of the somme as a good thing and that there were only "some losses." Gave a very exaggerated positive aspect on the Battle, despite the 20,000 killed in the first day and the fact that the Battle was called off in November 1916 and little gain was made. The Battle wasn't a glorious one as described in the sources, so gave a very positive onset and didn't show the whole truth - didn't show what was really happening.
G disagreed - was a source from 2002 showing how the Public knew a lot through local newspapers.

So
A, B, E, F agreed
C, D, G disagreed.

Could be argued though that:
A, B, F agreed
C, D, G, E disagreed

E was more sceptical about the Somme, yet didn't reveal the whole truth about the Battle, in my opinion - it's how you interpret it, I suppose.
(edited 9 years ago)
I got more supported it too due to censorship under the defence of the realm act of 1914 :smile:
Original post by WillWalker23
I would tend to agree too. That's what I did do for the 'what do you learn' - I just hadn't seen it before. It seems a bit silly anyway. The gas attack photo was an exception and I don't know - it just seemed like that was randomly thrown in so it wasn't all about censorship - all of the other sources were about censorship in some way and how people didn't know what was going on.

I guess I just revised all the other topics really well, and if it had been on rationing I would've preferred it. Censorship is a very narrow and small part of the course. It just seems silly. They could, at the very least have done it 50:50 censorship and propaganda and done more on propaganda.

I'm always quite critical of History papers - the one we had last Friday was okay, yet I disagree with the whole option compulsory set-up. I think that the 4 and 6 mark questions should be compulsory for both and then the 10 mark essays should be the options.

I didn't find it 'bad' I just didn't like the paper very much. It wasn't hard, it was just silly.

You make fair points. Why do you think that the 4 and 6 mark questions should all be compulsory though? I suppose, if they were compulsory, they would be testing us on each section rather than letting us leave one out - perhaps one we're not so confident on - allowing us to play to our strengths, despite the 4 and 6 marks not really being a struggle. For someone who might be confident about the whole course (i.e. yourself), it is fine to answer small sections on all of the aspects maybe, but others might not be suited to this. Of course it's not about what 'suits' the student given that it is an exam, but I'm not too sure as to why you want those questions to be compulsory.

Also, i reckon you should consider formally writing to OCR to sort out the incompetency within their exam-making skills. xD
I got that more sources opposed, you? :smile:

I got that too! I said that only sources A (the Tommies one) and source F (the more positive Battle of the Somme one) supported the idea that they didm;t know what really happened! But I guess it's kind of a matter of opinion!:smile:
Reply 24
Yeah I got more opposing too
For the 1915 one I wrote about the munitions crisis even though I knew it was wrong because I couldn't think of anything else. I did also write some of what you guys said too so would they just ignore the wrong bit and give me some marks for the rest or none at all?
Original post by Manexopi
For the 1915 one I wrote about the munitions crisis even though I knew it was wrong because I couldn't think of anything else. I did also write some of what you guys said too so would they just ignore the wrong bit and give me some marks for the rest or none at all?

My history teacher said they don't mark negatively, so if anything is wrong they will probably ignore it and award marks for the correct stuff.
Reply 26
I said that C agreed as it was clearly censored, I said that A, B and C agreed, E, G and H disagreed and F was in between
I didn't analyse source g on the 12 mark question but did all the others, how many marks would I loose? I'm really nervous please help.
On the what did you learn questions I wrote what I learnt, then what I didn't learn since I hadn't come across that question before.
I believe I did a paragraph on what I learnt and a paragraph on what I didn't...do you think I would lose a lot of marks for this? I was expecting a message question.
On the what did you learn question I wrote what I learnt, then what I didn't learn since I hadn't come across that question before.
I believe I did a paragraph on what I learnt and a paragraph on what I didn't...do you think I would lose a lot of marks for this? I was expecting a message question.

Also, I didn't look at all of the sources since my teacher told me we only had to do 2 sources for each side of the question, I'm actually so worried I have completely screwed this up...
Original post by Manexopi

No, I wrote about the munitions crisis too, I don't think it was wrong because it's kind of published as a way to motivate the munitions workers to help the soldiers fight back by carrying on their work. It's a good opportunity to use some extra contextual knowledge! :wink:
Reply 31
No, I wrote about the munitions crisis too, I don't think it was wrong because it's kind of published as a way to motivate the munitions workers to help the soldiers fight back by carrying on their work. It's a good opportunity to use some extra contextual knowledge! :wink:

Yeah that's what I said I think. Well that's good to know I wasn't the only person!
Original post by JazzyT17
I didn't analyse source g on the 12 mark question but did all the others, how many marks would I loose? I'm really nervous please help.

Apparently you don't have to use all the sources, so if you included enough for twelve marks in your other analysis you should be fine!😄
Original post by Kristie1998
Apparently you don't have to use all the sources, so if you included enough for twelve marks in your other analysis you should be fine!������

My school must be the only one who takes the mark scheme as gospel?

Like for my mock I got 11/12 and referred to all of the sources and backed it up with own knowledge and was right and everything, just in one of my paragraphs when talking about one of the sources I didn't quote from the source and just talked about it, so my teacher deducted a mark.

Anyway, that sounds good if that's really true. I want a good A* in History. My coursework was 49/50 which I was happy with but I wanted full marks. My bro got full UMS in his paper 2 so I should be able to do the same (I strongly hope so anyway!)
My school must be the only one who takes the mark scheme as gospel?

Like for my mock I got 11/12 and referred to all of the sources and backed it up with own knowledge and was right and everything, just in one of my paragraphs when talking about one of the sources I didn't quote from the source and just talked about it, so my teacher deducted a mark.

Anyway, that sounds good if that's really true. I want a good A* in History. My coursework was 49/50 which I was happy with but I wanted full marks. My bro got full UMS in his paper 2 so I should be able to do the same (I strongly hope so anyway!)

Oh I don't know! That's what my teacher said particularly if there is seven sources like there was in this paper! Like in my mock I got 12/12 and referred to every sources however some people missed one out, as it seemed to be less appropriate to the question and still got twelve! Hopefully the markers will be slightly nicer than your teachers and we will be able to get an A*!
Oh I don't know! That's what my teacher said particularly if there is seven sources like there was in this paper! Like in my mock I got 12/12 and referred to every sources however some people missed one out, as it seemed to be less appropriate to the question and still got twelve! Hopefully the markers will be slightly nicer than your teachers and we will be able to get an A*!

I hope so anyway. We got told for my mock that it would be on Women and the Vote by my teacher - the other classes were told it would be on world war one so I only revised Women, but still got an A* so not too worried, since I revised WW1 this time, although I still thought Women and the Vote would be the one that came up.
I hope so anyway. We got told for my mock that it would be on Women and the Vote by my teacher - the other classes were told it would be on world war one so I only revised Women, but still got an A* so not too worried, since I revised WW1 this time, although I still thought Women and the Vote would be the one that came up.

I'm sure it will be fine! We all thought it would be women so revised it completely, and opened the papers like 'oh ****!'😄
Original post by Whizbox
I said that C agreed as it was clearly censored, I said that A, B and C agreed, E, G and H disagreed and F was in between

There was a SOURCE H????? :frown: I don't remember seeing that at all, in fact I'm sure the question said analyse Sources A-G...
There was a SOURCE H????? :frown: I don't remember seeing that at all, in fact I'm sure the question said analyse Sources A-G...

I'm pretty sure there was no source H, I think the last one was source G (the one about censorship) as there weren't any on the back two pages!
I'm pretty sure there was no source H, I think the last one was source G (the one about censorship) as there weren't any on the back two pages!

Thank God :tongue: What did you guys put in terms of own knowledge? A little worried I didn't do enough, only mentioned DORA and censorship, the munitions crisis and a little bit on propaganda/ volunteer army... didn't mention rationing at all :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest