The Student Room Group

What makes the British angry?

I have only been in England for two years but somehow i always have to contemplate before i need to say something or make a joke fearing that i might offend people culture and manner wise so what is it that makes the British really angry (enough to punch me)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Haha it completely depends in which bit of England you are in! Us northerners are actually quite friendly!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The British are never angry. They are merely frustrated or miffed.
Reply 3
Disrupting the sacred balance of the queue

This can be achieved by doing any of the following:

1. Cutting in front of someone
2. Not having your money ready when you get there
3. Listening to headphones too loudly
4. Farting

Bear in mind you won't be able to tell when we're angry... We'll just breathe slightly more deeply and silently wish you dead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
As long as you have basic good manners and genuine good intentions, and act generally respectful of the people around you, you should be alright. There are some historical topics to avoid, like the Thatcher years or our involvement in many wars, as people have very strong opinions on such things that could lead to arguments and hot water in a non-academic setting. Asking people or joking about politics or religion is a bad idea, as is not respecting people's rights to their own beliefs and thoughts. When alcohol is involved, be careful and stick with people you know - it makes people extremely irrational and a danger to themselves and others if they've had too much. One thing that is likely to universally be taken badly is insulting the armed forces. Do not insult the military as you are likely to get thumped if someone overhears you. Many people feel very strongly about it, and a lot of families have been affected by recent conflicts to the point where joking about soldiers could push some wrong buttons. In a similar vein, talking ill of the dead is also considered shockingly rude in many circles, although this mainly a problem among the older generations.

Basically, just aim to be a decent person and don't go looking to insult people. If you make an honest mistake, a genuine apology should set you right. You can't quite generalise any group of people, as all individuals have different stories and backgrounds, so you probably know better than anyone what is and isn't ok amongst your friends.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by moolightwisdom
I have only been in England for two years but somehow i always have to contemplate before i need to say something or make a joke fearing that i might offend people culture and manner wise so what is it that makes the British really angry (enough to punch me)?

the kinds of statements like this, e.g. accusing us of being angry, makes us angry.
Just make sure you relate everything you talk about back to one direction, im sure you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't ever, under any circumstances, cut in front of a queue :laugh: the death glares you'll get :rofl:

But to be honest I don't think we actually are that angry at all, just talk about the weather you'll be fine :grin:
Avoid sensitive issues like Thatcher, the slave-trade, religion and wars unless it's in an academic setting.

Also, don't talk to people on the tube, do not jump the queue and always be apologetic even if you have no reason to be.
Immigration
Got to say immgration.
Reply 11
Disrespect (bus drivers), people not admitting they are terrible and THOSE GOD DAMMED PEOPLE WHO SPEND AGES COUNTING CHANGE WHEN THEY GET TO A TILL DESPITE HAVING 5 MINUTES TO DO SO IN THE BLOODY QUEUE!

SORT IT OUT!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just don't insult their brainless, law-breaking, thuggish soldiers or they'll claim you're the scum of the Earth.
Reply 13
British people like to be offended.

They like to be outraged and appalled by things because the majority are overly-entitled bellends and the thrill of being offended gives them some diversity from their normally **** lives.

We also have **** weather. Davey C is our prime minister and a good portion of the population, no matter how open they claim to be, have a problem with foreigners and will we clench up at hearing a foreign languages or accent.

We expect the entirety of the rest of the world to speak our language, even when we go to their countries and if they don't we get pissed off with them.
Reply 14
It's not all foreigners, it's the ones that come to England for easy benefits so they can sit and home all day, never try for work and get everything given to them.

As with languages, come to England, learn the language. As an Asian, I have loads of family that say they can't work or go to mainstream shops because they can't speak English and so expect others to provide for them when there are plenty of resources to learn themselves but this is another case of laziness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Audi
Haha it completely depends in which bit of England you are in! Us northerners are actually quite friendly!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ha lol! Northerners are the worst. Southerners speak better, are cleaner, are more friendly, richer, have a higher IQ range, eat better, More active and just generally more superior in almost every way especially in London.
WE'RE NOT ****ING ANGRY

lol I kid. We're not, but I've lived in London and Norfolk and the aggression and obsession with violence when I was in school is ridiculous. I'd hardly call it a rough school but it seemed that everyone was trying to prove their worse and anything you said would be replied with "oi blad, you wanna fight?". I'm glad I left
Reply 17
Some people find speaking a language other than English in public rude.
Original post by Asariond
As long as you have basic good manners and genuine good intentions, and act generally respectful of the people around you, you should be alright. There are some historical topics to avoid, like the Thatcher years or our involvement in many wars, as people have very strong opinions on such things that could lead to arguments and hot water in a non-academic setting. Asking people or joking about politics or religion is a bad idea, as is not respecting people's rights to their own beliefs and thoughts. When alcohol is involved, be careful and stick with people you know - it makes people extremely irrational and a danger to themselves and others if they've had too much. One thing that is likely to universally be taken badly is insulting the armed forces. Do not insult the military as you are likely to get thumped if someone overhears you. Many people feel very strongly about it, and a lot of families have been affected by recent conflicts to the point where joking about soldiers could push some wrong buttons. In a similar vein, talking ill of the dead is also considered shockingly rude in many circles, although this mainly a problem among the older generations.

Basically, just aim to be a decent person and don't go looking to insult people. If you make an honest mistake, a genuine apology should set you right. You can't quite generalise any group of people, as all individuals have different stories and backgrounds, so you probably know better than anyone what is and isn't ok amongst your friends.

Your bit in bold is a load of horse ****. People criticise the military all the bloody time.
Original post by Atsushi
Some people find speaking a language other than English in public rude.

Does chav dialect count as english? Cos if not, I'm one of those people

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending