The Student Room Group

Car exhaust box thing hanging down all jagged. How much of a problem is this? PICS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nuffles
That's quite a lot for a basic back-box. I picked one up for my old 1.4 Golf and it was only £30, so unless you're looking at some very steep labour charges than £150 would be excessive.

You got that one right unlike most other crap you've spouted here
Original post by Nuffles
Ok mate, everything you say must be correct :rolleyes:

Okay ''mate''................................... go away
Reply 21
Original post by shaymarriott
A local garage. Kwik-fit will 'discover' lots of other problems that you 'need fixing' and you'll end to having to pay a lot more.

Iv now taken it to a local garage and they got a new back box on it and back to me in a couple of hours. Cost £60 for parts, labor and VAT
Reply 22
Original post by Y333EEE
It's a Vauxhall, just scrap it

Well that would leave me without a car, wouldnt it?

Thankyou for your useful post.
Reply 23
Original post by Motorbiker
I would definitely take it to your local garage.

Any updates since this post? Taken it to the garage?

Taken it to the local garage and got new back box fitted for £60

Still getting the whining noise though, they didnt look at that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Waterboyy
I hope you collected the parts from the forecourt or the police will come after you.

Anyway, be very careful taking it to a garage, especially qwikfit, The whining noise could be fan belt related, is it coming from engine bay area or near the rear of the vehicle?
If you live in the North West or surrounding areas I'd be happy to check over the car for you free of charge and would be happy to fix it for you if you wanted me to but will charge to fix it, not much though.
However just to add, if I deem the car dangerous to drive I will not let you drive it away and arrange an alternative agreement with you.

source: Motor Vehicle Apprentice, 2nd year in. specialize in
. Gearbox
.clutch
Engine
brakes
chassis
exhaust
bodywork
tyres
electrical components
+ more

I picked up the big pieces of it, I left the smaller debris as it was night and I couldnt be arsed.

The whining noise is on further inspection more of a hissing/grating noise like 2 pieces of metal sliding past each other that starts quietly and then gets louder as the journey goes on and can be heard much louder if you open the window to listen. It is coming from the left wheel from what I can tell, but stops when turning left.

I only live in Liverpool during term time, I mainly live in the Midlands but I go back up every couple of weeks - hopefully itll all hold together whilst Im tearing up the M6 at 90.

And thanks for the offer - it sounded good up to the "if theres a problem I wont let you drive it away" bit - obviously Im not going to meet a random guy from the internet who might try to confiscate my car.
Original post by Clez
Taken it to the local garage and got new back box fitted for £60

Still getting the whining noise though, they didnt look at that.

£60 is a good price including fitting tbh.

Where about roughly is the noise coming from and when does it happen and when does it not happen?

e.g on engine startup then stopping is usually a fanbelt whine.
Reply 26
£60 is a good price including fitting tbh.

Where about roughly is the noise coming from and when does it happen and when does it not happen?

e.g on engine startup then stopping is usually a fanbelt whine.

See my last post!
Original post by Clez
I picked up the big pieces of it, I left the smaller debris as it was night and I couldnt be arsed.

The whining noise is on further inspection more of a hissing/grating noise like 2 pieces of metal sliding past each other that starts quietly and then gets louder as the journey goes on and can be heard much louder if you open the window to listen. It is coming from the left wheel from what I can tell, but stops when turning left.

Interesting. Is this just when moving or when engine is running?

Original post by Clez
See my last post!

Cool, had just missed that.
Original post by Clez
Well that would leave me without a car, wouldnt it?

Thankyou for your useful post.

Tbh you did buy a Vauxhall so what did you expect? While you're at the garage I'd get them to look at the timing chain (can make a nasty noise due to piss poor design) as well as the gear linkage (again piss poor design). Plus if yours is the 1.0 (doesn't matter whether it's the 973cc unit or the 998cc unit) it's a horrid little engine as its slow, loud and unrefined. Plus it drinks fuel if you go out of town
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29
Interesting. Is this just when moving or when engine is running? .

When moving. I havent noticed it when stationary. Any thoughts? I hope its not serious, Im driving 100 miles up to Liverpool in an hour.
Reply 30
Original post by Y333EEE
Tbh you did buy a Vauxhall so what did you expect? While you're at the garage I'd get them to look at the timing chain (can make a nasty noise due to piss poor design) as well as the gear linkage (again piss poor design).

I didnt buy it, I was given it 4 and a half years ago by my Nan just before she died of cancer.

I will suggest those things when I next take it into the garage next week.
Original post by Clez
When moving. I havent noticed it when stationary. Any thoughts? I hope its not serious, Im driving 100 miles up to Liverpool in an hour.

Does it sound like a jet engine? If so it's the wheel bearing, you might be fine as a bearing not one of the components that goes instantaneously but it's not something you wanna ignore either! If you don't fix it in the next couple of weeks/couple thousand miles then the wheel may come off. When you next drive it loosen your grip on the wheel at like 30-40 mph and if the car wanders off to one side then its another symptom of a worn bearing. I should aalso add they're not expensive to fix, it only cost me 60 quid for parts and Labour when I got one of the bearings on my Octavia replaced
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Clez
Iv now taken it to a local garage and they got a new back box on it and back to me in a couple of hours. Cost £60 for parts, labor and VAT

Original post by Clez

I only live in Liverpool during term time, I mainly live in the Midlands but I go back up every couple of weeks - hopefully itll all hold together whilst Im tearing up the M6 at 90.

And thanks for the offer - it sounded good up to the "if theres a problem I wont let you drive it away" bit -
obviously Im not going to meet a random guy from the internet who might try to confiscate my car.

I would have let you drive it away if........................................ it was safe to drive, however if I deemed your motor vehicle unsafe to be no the road I would have confiscated it until I considered it worth of being driven, which in my opinion would be for the best if it saves you causing injury to yourself or to me or anyone else.

I'd have fitted and supllied parts at a cost of £50 for backbox, if yo want me to inspect your whining noise then I live 8 miles away from Liverpool and I see your gonig there soon so let me know
Wheel bearings, when badly worn, make the car sound like a spaceship and the sound tends to get higher pitched as you drive faster. Does the sound go away when you turn one way, but not the other? It's almost certainly a wheel bearing if that is the case, and it'll be on the side that goes quiet when you turn that way, so if it goes quiet when you steer right then it'll be a bearing on the right side of the car.

It's almost always the front ones, but as I found out recently it can be a rear one too, although this is much rarer. Labour shouldn't be too much, and the parts themselves are fairly cheap. It's worth finding out if there are other parts that are worth doing at the same time, on my car for instance it's worth replacing the strut top bushing and bearing while the strut is out, so I did those while I was at it. It costs a little more now but will save you spending more money down the road.

To verify that it's a wheel bearing, find out which side it is with the above method, and then jack up the front wheel first, as it's probably the front one. Grab the wheel with your hands at the top and bottom and see if there's any play or wobbling at all. If there is then the bearing is definitely shot, if not then it's still worth getting checked out, but at least you'll know for sure.
Reply 34
Rich (2000 corsa) got his broken exhaust mended for free.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
I would have let you drive it away if........................................ it was safe to drive, however if I deemed your motor vehicle unsafe to be no the road I would have confiscated it until I considered it worth of being driven, which in my opinion would be for the best if it saves you causing injury to yourself or to me or anyone else.

I'd have fitted and supllied parts at a cost of £50 for backbox, if yo want me to inspect your whining noise then I live 8 miles away from Liverpool and I see your gonig there soon so let me know

Regardless of whether you deem a car safe to drive you have no legal rights to the property or right to seize said property on the grounds of it being unsafe - no garage is allowed to do that either. If you had tried I would have just phoned the police.

From Nuffles information, Im fairly sure it is a wheel bearing problem so I will probably run that check and decide how safe it is myself and then put it into the garage when I have the money and have returned home.
Reply 36
Original post by Nuffles
Wheel bearings, when badly worn, make the car sound like a spaceship and the sound tends to get higher pitched as you drive faster. Does the sound go away when you turn one way, but not the other? It's almost certainly a wheel bearing if that is the case, and it'll be on the side that goes quiet when you turn that way, so if it goes quiet when you steer right then it'll be a bearing on the right side of the car.

It's almost always the front ones, but as I found out recently it can be a rear one too, although this is much rarer. Labour shouldn't be too much, and the parts themselves are fairly cheap. It's worth finding out if there are other parts that are worth doing at the same time, on my car for instance it's worth replacing the strut top bushing and bearing while the strut is out, so I did those while I was at it. It costs a little more now but will save you spending more money down the road.

To verify that it's a wheel bearing, find out which side it is with the above method, and then jack up the front wheel first, as it's probably the front one. Grab the wheel with your hands at the top and bottom and see if there's any play or wobbling at all. If there is then the bearing is definitely shot, if not then it's still worth getting checked out, but at least you'll know for sure.

Thanks for your help. It does indeed sound like it is the wheel bearing on the left side. I will find someone with a jack and have a look at it later or tomorrow and see how bad it is. I'll let you know.
Reply 37

You'd have "confiscated" her car?

LMAO. What a prat. Giving it the big I am on the internet.

You can advise folk, sure, but you can't "demand" they do a damn thing. What a wally!
Original post by JC.
You'd have "confiscated" her car?

LMAO. What a prat. Giving it the big I am on the internet.

You can advise folk, sure, but you can't "demand" they do a damn thing. What a wally!

I've repped you too much to do it again :frown:
Original post by Clez
Thanks for your help. It does indeed sound like it is the wheel bearing on the left side. I will find someone with a jack and have a look at it later or tomorrow and see how bad it is. I'll let you know.

If you've not done it before, check the owner's manual for the correct jacking points under the car. They're usually fairly clearly marked at the front or back of the sill, but if you're using anything other than the standard 'widowmaker' scissor jack, like a trolley jack, then you're better off jacking from one of the sub frames or suspension points. The person with a jack should be able to give you a hand. Also don't put any part of your body, arm, leg, anything, under the car while it's only supported by a jack.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending