The Student Room Group

Car exhaust box thing hanging down all jagged. How much of a problem is this? PICS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by JC.
You'd have "confiscated" her car?

LMAO. What a prat. Giving it the big I am on the internet.

You can advise folk, sure, but you can't "demand" they do a damn thing. What a wally!

I am surprised to discover my change of gender! :rolleyes:

You are very right with your other points. Im afraid I am out of rep today :frown:
Original post by JC.
You'd have "confiscated" her car?

LMAO. What a prat. Giving it the big I am on the internet.

You can advise folk, sure, but you can't "demand" they do a damn thing. What a wally!

If a motor vehicle is deemed unfit for the road and poses danger to myself then it is a criminal offence, hence I'm sure I can do a damn thing
Original post by Clez
Regardless of whether you deem a car safe to drive you have no legal rights to the property or right to seize said property on the grounds of it being unsafe - no garage is allowed to do that either. If you had tried I would have just phoned the police.

From Nuffles information, Im fairly sure it is a wheel bearing problem so I will probably run that check and decide how safe it is myself and then put it into the garage when I have the money and have returned home.

If you allowed me to check over your car and ''if'' I discovered a wheel bearing was faulty '' I WOULD have'' confiscated your motor vehicle until the bearing was replaced and deemed safe to be driven again, I don't see the problem, if I let you drive away and your wheel came flying off and killed yourself,myself or anyone else I'd blame myself despite it being your motor vehicle.
Go ahead and ring the police, I think they'd agree with me that you shouldn't have your car on the road in its current condition, you'd probably also get in trouble for dangerous driving/driving a motor car in an unfit condition.

Meh, if you don't want me to help you out and you'd rather get ripped off by a mechanic or kill you, me or someone else with your motor then meh
You do realise that 'confiscating' someones car when you have no legal power can amount to theft? If you did that to my Skoda I wouldn't hesitate to get the Police involved! I damn near did the same thing when my **** of an ex GF wouldn't let me have the keys to my old Fiesta one time!
Reply 43
Original post by Waterboyy
If a motor vehicle is deemed unfit for the road and poses danger to myself then it is a criminal offence, hence I'm sure I can do a damn thing

There is a difference between a vehicle being officially declared unfit for the road and what you personally decide. Especially if you are an unregistered personal mechanic your opinion is irrelevant to whether or not a car can be officially deemed unsafe to drive.

Even after an official garage check, nobody can actually stop you from driving away, its just that if I did crash Id be liable for failing to maintain a vehicle.

The only people who can actually impound vehicles are the police and even then only if it is causing excess noise or smoke (i believe). Just because you have a B-tech in Mechanics does not give you the right to impound vehicles that do not belong to you. That is a criminal offense that is called "theft". And your comments on here would be evidence that it was pre-planned theft too which would carry a harsher sentence. And saying that it was a danger to you would be a rather dire defense as there would be no immediate danger and only a whimsical hypothetical danger.

If you allowed me to check over your car and ''if'' I discovered a wheel bearing was faulty '' I WOULD have'' confiscated your motor vehicle until the bearing was replaced and deemed safe to be driven again, I don't see the problem, if I let you drive away and your wheel came flying off and killed yourself,myself or anyone else I'd blame myself despite it being your motor vehicle.
Go ahead and ring the police, I think they'd agree with me that you shouldn't have your car on the road in its current condition, you'd probably also get in trouble for dangerous driving/driving a motor car in an unfit condition.

Meh, if you don't want me to help you out and you'd rather get ripped off by a mechanic or kill you, me or someone else with your motor then meh

What would you have done if I had refused to give you my car? Would you have tried to force me? Theres a number of charges stacking up here. Taking a vehicle without the owners consent, conspiracy to commit theft, intimidation and possibly assault. Oh dear.

The police would detain you. If they said anything to me at all it might be "try taking this to a garage in the future".

Its not about risking being ripped off, its more about leaving my car with a reliable, trusted company rather than going to a random guy who says by the way, I might steal your car based on my own warped sense of the law. That and Im sure I have much better things to be doing than pressing charges against an assortment of criminal acts.
Someone in France tried confiscating our car because it was very dangerous and was about to fall apart. Drove it to Southern spain the next day. No problems. The french mechanic got very angry and yelled and waved his arms but didn't actually properly stop us.

(Head gasket did completely go in Morocco cracking cylinder head etc but that's not the point)

I'm not being funny but only the police have the powers to take a vehicle off you. Its if the find three defects with the car they have the power take it off of you (say bald tyres, a light not working and a blowing exhaust for example). Someone who is a mechanic, or is mechanically minded may RECOMMEND that the vehicle is not driven on the roads, but they cannot take it off of them as they have no legal powers. Its a good job I'm not trusting you with my Octavia!

A failed wheel bearing causing the wheel to fall off is incredibly rare, especially with a front wheel where the CV cup physically stops the wheel from pulling through the hub. Even if it were the rear wheel, it'd take a lot for it to come off. I did about 2000 miles on my noisy rear wheel bearing, 400 of which were fully loaded with five adults, three guitars, three amps, and various other music equipment, and the bearing was nowhere near close to letting go completely by the time I changed it. Assuming the OP does a lot less miles than I do, which is the case for most people, they'll be fine.
Reply 47

Other than phone the police, you can't do **** all, pal.
Reply 48
Original post by Clez
I am surprised to discover my change of gender! :rolleyes:

You are very right with your other points. Im afraid I am out of rep today :frown:

In my defense, I did used to know a girl who went by your username! :tongue:

Nice to see he holds his chosen trade in high regard!
Reply 50
Original post by Nuffles
Wheel bearings, when badly worn, make the car sound like a spaceship and the sound tends to get higher pitched as you drive faster. Does the sound go away when you turn one way, but not the other? It's almost certainly a wheel bearing if that is the case, and it'll be on the side that goes quiet when you turn that way, so if it goes quiet when you steer right then it'll be a bearing on the right side of the car.

It's almost always the front ones, but as I found out recently it can be a rear one too, although this is much rarer. Labour shouldn't be too much, and the parts themselves are fairly cheap. It's worth finding out if there are other parts that are worth doing at the same time, on my car for instance it's worth replacing the strut top bushing and bearing while the strut is out, so I did those while I was at it. It costs a little more now but will save you spending more money down the road.

To verify that it's a wheel bearing, find out which side it is with the above method, and then jack up the front wheel first, as it's probably the front one. Grab the wheel with your hands at the top and bottom and see if there's any play or wobbling at all. If there is then the bearing is definitely shot, if not then it's still worth getting checked out, but at least you'll know for sure.

Just an update on this, since I never concluded the thread - I tried what you suggested but couldnt find anyhing wrong. I finally took my car into the garage again yesterday and it came back today with the problem fixed. New brake pads and tyre on the left side. Apparently the brake pads were sticking making the grating/hissing noise and the tyre was quite flat. All sorted now!
Original post by Clez
Just an update on this, since I never concluded the thread - I tried what you suggested but couldnt find anyhing wrong. I finally took my car into the garage again yesterday and it came back today with the problem fixed. New brake pads and tyre on the left side. Apparently the brake pads were sticking making the grating/hissing noise and the tyre was quite flat. All sorted now!

Thanks for the Update OP!

Glad it all worked out in the end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending