The Student Room Group

Is it true that horizontal stripes make a girl look fat?

Fall in love with a horizontal stripe dress recently, I heard that horizontal stripes will make a girl look fat, is it true? Are horizontal stripe clothes patent for thin girls?

Original post by JoyceSimmons
Fall in love with a horizontal stripe dress recently, I heard that horizontal stripes will make a girl look fat, is it true? Are horizontal stripe clothes patent for thin girls?

Nah, I think they look good on thinner girls, but very unflattering for larger girls IMO.
Reply 2
Horizontal stripes tend to add weight (making you look wider), vertical stripes tend to reduce weight (narrowing) :smile:
It's all an optical illusion really, if you want to wear horizontal stripes, go for it, as long as you wear skinny jeans or leggings to balance the bagginess out it'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really can't tell! I have this skirt which has horizontal stripes! :s-smilie:

That's what I've been told though... Though I still wear it! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
If you're really skinny they won't make you look fat. But they will make you look wider and if you aren't skinny or you have some extra fat in your body they can make you look bigger.
Unfortunately, yes. The stripes will make your body wider.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm afraid that's usually the case but it may depend on your body type. You're less likely to look fat in horizontal stripes if you're quite thin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
vertical stripes have the effect of making you look slimmer.
Yes it is true horizontal stripe design make your appearance heavy.
Anything makes a 'fat' person look 'fat', stripes or no stripes. Regardless people should stop dealing with illusions and deal with the reality of their real body.
Horizontal stripes make a fat girl look fat. Vertical stripes make a fat girl look fat. But a girl's fat doesn't make her look fat :dunce:
Not intending to kill the mood or knock you down, but as a man I will voice my opinion that you'd be better off getting an item of clothing that is not stripy if you want to look good, unless it is a stripy miniskirt to give an impression of a phat ass.

To make some points that you should take seriously though:

-Fat people look fat when wearing vertically striped clothing.
-Fat people look fat when wearing horizontally striped clothing.
-Skinny people look skinny when wearing either type of clothing.
-Baggy clothing tends to hide excessive fatness, but will not hide a skeleton.
-Tight clothes only look good on fit women.
-The first rule of being fat is 'thou shalt not wear tight clothing'.
-Avoid the colour brown. It looks cheap and gives off a poo vibe.
-If you have nice legs, get a decent pair of tights or skinny jeans. They are good.
-Make sure your clothes don't stink of sh!t. Ask your friends to smell you to avoid this problem.

That is all you need to know for the rest of your life. (Even though you didn't ask about what i have written)

tl;dr - Don't get that stripy curtain-esque thing. Whether or not it makes you look fat is not the question. It looks bad.
yes mostly horizantal stripes makes girl fat.
Reply 13
I honestly don't believe the illusion exists at all. It kind of makes sense as a suggestion but I wouldn't say that people look radically different when wearing horizontal or vertical stripes.
Also:
Original post by steve kunt

-Tight clothes only look good on fit women.
-The first rule of being fat is 'thou shalt not wear tight clothing'.
-If you have nice legs, get a decent pair of tights or skinny jeans.

Can people please stop telling other people what they're allowed to wear? Wear whatever you like. If you're comfortable in it (by which I mean, it makes you feel good, this doesn't always = actually comfortable) then go for it. Other people's opinions aren't more important than your own.
i don't believe the myth... when i wear horizontal stripes as a top it makes me look much skinnier but when i wear it on the bottom half of my body it creates this large essence but if i were to wear vertical stripes on the bottom half of my body it creates a thinner look whereas on the top half it makes it look bigger

moral of that is i think it depends on where you wear the stripes to how it makes the body look but NEVER wear horizontal stripes with vertical stripes :')
Original post by steve kunt

just lol

Quick Reply

Latest