The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

St John's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hey lady, you just asked what people were wearing - you didn't specify a gender!

I think they also have a sale on women's clothing, if that helps :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 101
Ditting Suck
Hey lady, you just asked what people were wearing - you didn't specify a gender!

I think they also have a sale on women's clothing, if that helps :smile:

Fortunately us lads get away with simply pulling out a suit, white shirt and a nice tie. What i want to know, is what the dress code for first hall on Sunday is. It says no gown, but does that mean we can go in casual dress? Or, do we have to wear a suit etc.
Good question, toto

*lions and tigers and bears*
Reply 103
Ditting Suck
Good question, toto

*lions and tigers and bears*

I don't get your humor. Are you a mathmo?
NO!

Have you never seen The Wizard of Oz?
Do you reckon that our college's rent is much higher than other college's?? My friend in Catz only has to pay like 700 pound per term including KFC , plus as I read through other college's thread, it's significantly lower!!
Reply 106
never_get_up
Do you reckon that our college's rent is much higher than other college's?? My friend in Catz only has to pay like 700 pound per term including KFC , plus as I read through other college's thread, it's significantly lower!!

What do you expect? When you're going to the best college in Cambridge, you will have to pay a premium for it! :biggrin:

On a serious note, from what i have heard, I think Johns rooms and food are quite good by most colleges standards.
toto8462
What do you expect? When you're going to the best college in Cambridge, you will have to pay a premium for it! :biggrin:

On a serious note, from what i have heard, I think Johns rooms and food are quite good by most colleges standards.

Uhm, guess so...Btw, my room is A15, any idea where it is?:confused:
And also, how long does this prepayment rent cover? 8 weeks? 10 weeks? or what?

In short, how much is the rent per week if mine said 870.51 per term??
Reply 109
Im in A and similarly my rent is £870.51 - for a bedsit. Its a good place to be, next to the river and closest to new court.
oh, so that's actually not bad at all!! Btw, I know asking this is a bit silly but since I haven't had to declare any kind of this form, I don't know what is meant by "Next of kin"? Is it your parents, siblings, or what?
Yay! More people in the 870.51 club!

I'm on F staircase though :frown:
I think I'm on the first floor!

cosy :wink:
Reply 113
mad_mc_52
And BTW - did anybody else LOVE the descriptions of the other colleges in the pale blue handbook in the Freshers pack??????

I read that too! I thought they were hillarious. Especially the descriptions of Trinity, Christs and Kings - good comedy.

Apparently I am in E... E24 methinks. I thought they'd made a mistake with the 26 to begin with. i'd somhow got it into my head that there were 4 rooms to a staircase. God knows where. The rent does seem a little high tho...
Reply 114
Markjay
I read that too! I thought they were hillarious. Especially the descriptions of Trinity, Christs and Kings - good comedy.

Apparently I am in E... E26 methinks. I thought they'd made a mistake with the 26 to begin with. i'd somhow got it into my head that there were 4 rooms to a staircase. God knows where. The rent does seem a little high tho...

I'm E23 !
Reply 115
Haha you guys, enjoy your stair climbs! Those concrete stairs frighten me, possibly because the first time I went up them I was rampantly pissed and in high heels and fell over lots.
So does anybody get a cheaper rent than 870.51?
Not that I've heard.

Okay, question for the science people: I don't know if it's an issue for anyone else, but I'm going to have real trouble coming down on the 26th, as both my parents work full time. Does anyone else know whether it's possible for us to arrive on the 24th?

The other option is to get the train and get my parents to drive my stuff down the following weekend, but obviously that costs me extra...
Reply 118
Give them a ring and see what they have to say. Some second/third years will be back in college by then won't they?
So when it asks for your "term time address", how exactly do you format it.

Is it something like:

X99 Cripp's building,
St. John's College,
CB2 1TP etc ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending