The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

St John's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Plus, which thread is this in? cos it tells me its in the St. Johns college one, but the subject is 'Why st johns rather than oxford?'
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Funkachillislap
Plus, which thread is this in? cos it tells me its in the St. Johns college one, but the subject is 'Why st johns rather than oxford?'

This is my thread.
Reply 1182
Funkachillislap
Sorry mate, just thought you seemed overly confident on a subject which to you appeared to only come from hearsay. Also, how have you spent a term there and not met anyonefrom johns, its like one of the biggest with the most folk. Never mind anyhows. Have a good new year.

There are 13 people from St. John's doing MML, out of 190. It's quite reasonable I haven't met any of them yet :smile:

(Why did I go and look that up? I don't know).
Reply 1183
Melz0r
There are 13 people from St. John's doing MML, out of 190. It's quite reasonable I haven't met any of them yet :smile:

It happens; I swear I haven't met a single engineer from Trinity

I reckon they just shy away from our :awesome:ness
Melz0r

Have you seen a REALLY tall guy with big curly ginger hair? He's one of the more distinctive John's MMLers, and also my college brother :biggrin:

aKarma
It happens; I swear I haven't met a single engineer from Trinity

I reckon they just shy away from our :awesome:ness

I've met a Trinity engineer...well, I think he's actually a ChemEng...And I met him before term started, so maybe it doesn't count.
Reply 1185
SoapyDish
Have you seen a REALLY tall guy with big curly ginger hair? He's one of the more distinctive John's MMLers, and also my college brother :biggrin:

I've met a Trinity engineer...well, I think he's actually a ChemEng...And I met him before term started, so maybe it doesn't count.

hey soapy, i really like your blog. why dont you write more often??
Hello!
Are there any first year french and hispanists here or could someone point me in the direction of a friendly one? I'm in Year 12 and I'm looking to apply to John's and I would love to discuss the application process with them! Cheers!
Just out of interest; could people post why they chose St. Johns as a college? Mine reasons were quite simple so i'll start:

Family ties, wanted big; central, sporty and not so intense college. From the open day johns fitted the bill so i didnt see any reason why i shouldnt apply.
Anyone else have any reasons?
Reply 1188
haha i have no reason...i sent in an open application and was alloted st.johns by the admissions office!!!
Picked it out of the prospectus to visit on the open day because it offered all the subjects that I was interested in, and was in a good location. When I got there, I just fell in love with everything about the college. Since being here, I know it's the right college for me. The size, location, facilities etc are all just what I need, and I'm still in love with it :smile: The accommodation costs are a bit steep though, the only bad thing!
I got pooled there. Awesome college. Except soapy.
Reply 1191
Funkachillislap
Just out of interest; could people post why they chose St. Johns as a college? Mine reasons were quite simple so i'll start:

Family ties, wanted big; central, sporty and not so intense college. From the open day johns fitted the bill so i didnt see any reason why i shouldnt apply.
Anyone else have any reasons?

I had pretty much the same reasons as you. I'd also stayed at the college a week or so over previous years and grown to love it & everyone at johns was clearly epic

I've heard quite a few people who first saw it from the backs and decided there and then that it was the college they wanted.
caaakeeey
I got pooled there. Awesome college. Except soapy.

Didn't know you were pooled! Did you do an open application or did you not make your first choice?

And oi. Don't think I haven't forgotten my stash.
I liked St. John's from the prospectus and visited on the open day in June. I loved absolutely everything; the look of the college, the location, the encouraging admissions officer and enthusiastic Dos, the current students - everything. I visited a few other colleges (one other open day), but I immediately knew St. John's was the 'right' one.

Such a pity I messed up my interview :frown:
SoapyDish
Picked it out of the prospectus to visit on the open day because it offered all the subjects that I was interested in, and was in a good location. When I got there, I just fell in love with everything about the college. Since being here, I know it's the right college for me. The size, location, facilities etc are all just what I need, and I'm still in love with it :smile: The accommodation costs are a bit steep though, the only bad thing!

I never even thought to look at accommodation costs; i never thought the average would vary between colleges. I stayed in Jesus's North Court on a school trip; Those rooms were sooo nice!
I have to say; its a good job i had chosen Johns before i stayed in cripps for the open day; my room was (large but) Terrible! A crack went right across the big window and it smelt of the 70's.
Funkachillislap
I never even thought to look at accommodation costs; i never thought the average would vary between colleges. I stayed in Jesus's North Court on a school trip; Those rooms were sooo nice!
I have to say; its a good job i had chosen Johns before i stayed in cripps for the open day; my room was (large but) Terrible! A crack went right across the big window and it smelt of the 70's.

Yeah, the rooms do smell a bit funny! They're renovating them all over the next few years though...But yeah, Cripps rooms are really expensive! Over £1000 a term...North Court's more reasonable...
If you like your wooden floors coal black, you'll love cripps...
SoapyDish
Didn't know you were pooled! Did you do an open application or did you not make your first choice?

And oi. Don't think I haven't forgotten my stash.

I like to think that my first choice Robinson new they weren't good enough for me... I'm pretty sure I've told you numerous times...
caaakeeey
If you like your wooden floors coal black, you'll love cripps...

You know my college hubby? He managed to strip all the varnish off his floor on the last night, when he had a party that got a bit out of control...

And no, I'm sure you never told me you were pooled!
SoapyDish
You know my college hubby? He managed to strip all the varnish off his floor on the last night, when he had a party that got a bit out of control...

And no, I'm sure you never told me you were pooled!

lol.
Have you seen the footprints on our floor from someone on the floor walking back from the shower, it like stripped the wood, and you can see footprints from the shower into his room, its hilarious.
I'm probably going to tell you again too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending