The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

St John's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Thanks for your reply. It's good to hear that John's give some sort of financial help for conferences.
Do you know if John's provides on-site accommodation for postgrads? Also, do you have any idea about the rooms at Corfield Court? I've tried searching online but couldn't find info and pictures of the rooms there.

Original post by Viceroy
Yes. Every postgraduate at John's has access to £500 to use for conference travel, books, research, or whatever you wish. All you need to do is fill out a form, have your supervisor sign it, return it to the Finance Office and they will reimburse you your expenses up to £500. I think this amount may actually be more for PhD students, or is renewed each year.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Unless you have a disability, I do not believe that there is any on-site accommodation for post-grads. The hostels, however, are mostly close by; Corfield is especially good. I was given a room there during my MPhil year and absolutely adored it.

Original post by kraken23
Thanks for your reply. It's good to hear that John's give some sort of financial help for conferences.
Do you know if John's provides on-site accommodation for postgrads? Also, do you have any idea about the rooms at Corfield Court? I've tried searching online but couldn't find info and pictures of the rooms there.
Reply 1582
Thanks so much for the pictures! :smile: It looks so nice. Actually I'm still waiting to hear about college placement. I hope I can get St John's. Fingers crossed. Can you choose what type of accommodation you want?

Original post by Viceroy
Some photos of the Corfield Court rooms. The room photographed belongs to a friend of mine, and the other photo is a view from another room in Corfield.
Thanks so much for the pictures! :smile: It looks so nice. Actually I'm still waiting to hear about college placement. I hope I can get St John's. Fingers crossed. Can you choose what type of accommodation you want?

I hope you get John's, too! It's a great college :smile: You can choose your accommodation from a list, and can rank your top three choices, but, in the end, you just have to hope for the best because rooms are allocated by lottery, I think. If you do get John's, be sure to put Corfield first, and then two of the hostels near college - Don't pick the Madingley Road hostels unless you don't mind being further away from town.
I got an offer for MML starting 2014 in the post this morning!!! ^_^
Original post by emmaisan0wl
I got an offer for MML starting 2014 in the post this morning!!! ^_^

Hooray! Congratulations! :smile:
Reply 1586
How are the facilities (gym, cafe, etc) at Corfield Court? Will the cleaners come and clean our rooms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How are the facilities (gym, cafe, etc) at Corfield Court? Will the cleaners come and clean our rooms?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No gym or cafe at Corfield (you'll have to go to John's for those), but there are free laundry facilities. Yes, the bedders will come and vacuum, take your bin, clean your sink, and tend to the kitchens/bathrooms in your entryway.
Reply 1588
Can somebody advise on which rooms are available to freshers? Is it still mainly un-renovated Cripps staircases and North Court? Also, how much can one expect to pay in rent for the different rooms? Are the small N Court rooms significantly cheaper?
Original post by und
Can somebody advise on which rooms are available to freshers? Is it still mainly un-renovated Cripps staircases and North Court? Also, how much can one expect to pay in rent for the different rooms? Are the small N Court rooms significantly cheaper?

I can't remember the figures off the top of my head, but if you're a offer holder for this year they sent us a March update with info about room availability, cost and selection recently. It basically said "none of this will happen for a few months yet" so I promptly forgot about it. :biggrin:
Reply 1590
Original post by Zedseayou
I can't remember the figures off the top of my head, but if you're a offer holder for this year they sent us a March update with info about room availability, cost and selection recently. It basically said "none of this will happen for a few months yet" so I promptly forgot about it. :biggrin:

Yep, an offer holder and hopefully a fresher in October. :biggrin: What subject are you doing?
Original post by und

The refurbished staircases G/H and from next year F/E are available to freshers in Cripps. Next year staircases A-D are being refurbished so no go there. Cripps rooms cost between £1200-£1350 a term.

You also get the choice of rooms in Chapel Court and North Court, which are usually sets shared with one other person (you have your own room but share a kitchen and bathroom). These cost between £800-£1100. They are nicely furnished and warm, and better value than the Cripps rooms. However your setmate could be a complete dick, or worse a mathmo so choose wisely.

I'd personally advise going for Cripps rooms, and they have just been refurbished, are very nice indeed with awesome communal kitchen areas.
They are also closer to the backs, the gym, the squash courts and music practice rooms etc. On the other hand New Court/ Chapel court are close to the town and the supermarket. There are very few social benefits either way so don't worry about that.

If you're really unlucky and end up at the bottom of the (random) ballot you might have to live in a house outside of college, but this has it positives as well.
Reply 1592
Original post by Banishingboredom
The refurbished staircases G/H and from next year F/E are available to freshers in Cripps. Next year staircases A-D are being refurbished so no go there. Cripps rooms cost between £1200-£1350 a term.

You also get the choice of rooms in Chapel Court and North Court, which are usually sets shared with one other person (you have your own room but share a kitchen and bathroom). These cost between £800-£1100. They are nicely furnished and warm, and better value than the Cripps rooms. However your setmate could be a complete dick, or worse a mathmo so choose wisely.

I'd personally advise going for Cripps rooms, and they have just been refurbished, are very nice indeed with awesome communal kitchen areas.
They are also closer to the backs, the gym, the squash courts and music practice rooms etc. On the other hand New Court/ Chapel court are close to the town and the supermarket. There are very few social benefits either way so don't worry about that.

If you're really unlucky and end up at the bottom of the (random) ballot you might have to live in a house outside of college, but this has it positives as well.

Thanks for the post. I'll have a better idea nearer the time but right now I like the idea of a room in a set, as you don't have to share facilities with as many people. Just out of interest, what's so bad about mathmos? :lol:
Original post by und
Thanks for the post. I'll have a better idea nearer the time but right now I like the idea of a room in a set, as you don't have to share facilities with as many people. Just out of interest, what's so bad about mathmos? :lol:

The stereotype is they don't get out much. Or like loud noise. Or undertake normal social interaction with other humans. Think Howard from Fresh Meat.
thankyou. How do i contact the offer holders?
Reply 1595
Original post by Banishingboredom
The stereotype is they don't get out much. Or like loud noise. Or undertake normal social interaction with other humans. Think Howard from Fresh Meat.

I see. :biggrin:

Are any of the rooms for freshers in Cripps ensuites or even sets? Also, hypothetically speaking, if I were to come first in the ballot, what would be the absolute best room I could pick in College?

Original post by Sanah Khan
thankyou. How do i contact the offer holders?

Try here maybe? https://www.facebook.com/groups/213596392058311/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1596
Original post by und
I see. :biggrin:

Are any of the rooms for freshers in Cripps ensuites or even sets? Also, hypothetically speaking, if I were to come first in the ballot, what would be the absolute best room I could pick in College?

Try here maybe? https://www.facebook.com/groups/213596392058311/

I think they're renovating cripps, the tour guide said on the open day, so by the time current year 12s go, they should all be ensuite (that's what I understood anyway)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1597
Original post by Reddish
I think they're renovating cripps, the tour guide said on the open day, so by the time current year 12s go, they should all be ensuite (that's what I understood anyway)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, thanks for the info. After STEP I'm not hopeful about going to Cambridge, but hopefully if I do the rooms will indeed be nice. :biggrin:

Also if the tour guide said that for year 12s, then that means the current year 13s will probably either be staying in the refurbished parts or elsewhere.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1598
Original post by und
Ah, thanks for the info. After STEP I'm not hopeful about going to Cambridge, but hopefully if I do the rooms will indeed be nice. :biggrin:

Also if the tour guide said that for year 12s, then that means the current year 13s will probably either be staying in the refurbished parts or elsewhere.

What course are you applying for? I wanna apply to engineering and I didn take FM so I might have to do STEP ;( even tho my school offers FM ... I'm such an idiot.

Was STEP really hard? How did u revise and for how long?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1599
Original post by Reddish
What course are you applying for? I wanna apply to engineering and I didn take FM so I might have to do STEP ;( even tho my school offers FM ... I'm such an idiot.

Was STEP really hard? How did u revise and for how long?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got an offer for maths so I had to get 1,1 in STEP II and III.

It seemed like I'd do fine until I was actually sat in the exam hall with the paper in front of me. So yes, it's very hard, particularly when you add in the exam pressure. For engineering most colleges wouldn't ask you for STEP though, right? And even if they do they'll either ask for a lower grade or they'll let you take STEP I, so you should be OK if you do enough practice. I pretty much did nothing but STEP from January onwards personally, and even that might not have been enough as I saw.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending