The Student Room Group

AS students- which AS subject will/might you drop this year and why?

Just wondering- personally I'm dropping Maths because C2 exam was pure evil and S1 is my weakest point+ I've heard C3 and C4 are a pain if you have struggled with C2, So next year I will do Bio,Chem and Geography and definitely retake C2.

Scroll to see replies

I'm thinking of dropping maths too, I have also heard C3 and C4 are really difficult. If I don't drop maths I'll drop psychology, don't like the sound of all those essays :smile:
Original post by Darkwarrior23
Just wondering- personally I'm dropping Maths because C2 exam was pure evil and S1 is my weakest point+ I've heard C3 and C4 are a pain if you have struggled with C2, So next year I will do Bio,Chem and Geography and definitely retake C2.

OMG I DO THE SAME SUBJECTS TOO AND I STRUGGLED WITH MATHS! << thats what im dropping.
Can you carry on with year 13 if you get BBE? with targets of BBB? Im worried that I got an e in as chemistry. Worst scenario being a U! I spent too much time revising for maths

Anyone in year 13 have any ideas?
Original post by amanda.144
OMG I DO THE SAME SUBJECTS TOO AND I STRUGGLED WITH MATHS! << thats what im dropping.
Can you carry on with year 13 if you get BBE? with targets of BBB? Im worried that I got an e in as chemistry. Worst scenario being a U! I spent too much time revising for maths

Anyone in year 13 have any ideas?

AQA Chemistry? Are you only doing 3 AS levels?
Original post by daisychain_
I'm thinking of dropping maths too, I have also heard C3 and C4 are really difficult. If I don't drop maths I'll drop psychology, don't like the sound of all those essays :smile:

Yeah I've there are tooo many case studies in psychology
Reply 5
I'm dropping Biology. It would be between biology (which I'm like an A grade in) and chemistry (I struggle to get a B overall, if even that). Even though it's logical I drop chemistry due to me being worse, there are a few reasons why I want to drop biology:
1. To carry on our school makes us go on a stupid £400 trip to Wales for 5 days which I honestly can not be bothered to go on, as I will be miserable, and I disagree with us having to spend that much money to do an A2.
2. Chemistry is more closely related to my other two subjects, maths and physics, so I feel it would complement them nicer at A2.
3. I have hope that I could resit AS chemistry if I do badly.
4. My bad chemistry grade is a good part down to the fact that my teacher left on maternity leave so I was stuck with a really crappy substitute, next year hopefully I'll have her and she can repair the damage her class had to put up with.
5. Biology at A2 has essays, 'nuff said.
Original post by Okkefac
I'm dropping Biology. It would be between biology (which I'm like an A grade in) and chemistry (I struggle to get a B overall, if even that). Even though it's logical I drop chemistry due to me being worse, there are a few reasons why I want to drop biology:
1. To carry on our school makes us go on a stupid £400 trip to Wales for 5 days which I honestly can not be bothered to go on, as I will be miserable, and I disagree with us having to spend that much money to do an A2.
2. Chemistry is more closely related to my other two subjects, maths and physics, so I feel it would complement them nicer at A2.
4. My bad chemistry grade is a good part down to the fact that my teacher left on maternity leave so I was stuck with a really crappy substitute, next year hopefully I'll have her and she can repair the damage her class had to put up with.

I enjoy the biology concepts but the exams are terrible. Chemistry concepts are difficult to grasp at first but exams are decent.

But what do you want to do at university... its scary how in a couple of months we will be applying:eek: :s-smilie:
Reply 7
I enjoy the biology concepts but the exams are terrible. Chemistry concepts are difficult to grasp at first but exams are decent.

But what do you want to do at university... its scary how in a couple of months we will be applying:eek: :s-smilie:

I initially found exam technique for biology absolutely horrible, but then I actually got used to it, and now I am quite comfortable, although I just can't be bothered with it XD.

Chemistry concepts are bad but sometimes alright to grasp for me, but I find the exams absolutely horrific. Doesn't help how my teachers either went very little over some topics, or didn't cover some details at all (e.g that greenhouse gases are molecules that absorb infra-red or something, we were just taught they heat up the Earth) and the exams ask on such tiny pieces of knowledge that we barely had to know, instead of overall ideas. What exam board do you do for chemistry? :smile: Maybe yours is nicer than mine XD or I just suck.

Wait just a couple of months? o.o
Wow
And I want to do maths, originally wanted to be a vet which is why I chose bio and chem, but not further maths. What do you want to do? :smile:
Reply 8
I'm thinking of dropping ICT, however it is a bit of an easy A subject so I've got mixed feelings about it... I also do Maths, Sociology and Geography.. from which I need maths for uni to do computer science.
Original post by Okkefac
I initially found exam technique for biology absolutely horrible, but then I actually got used to it, and now I am quite comfortable, although I just can't be bothered with it XD.

Chemistry concepts are bad but sometimes alright to grasp for me, but I find the exams absolutely horrific. Doesn't help how my teachers either went very little over some topics, or didn't cover some details at all (e.g that greenhouse gases are molecules that absorb infra-red or something, we were just taught they heat up the Earth) and the exams ask on such tiny pieces of knowledge that we barely had to know, instead of overall ideas. What exam board do you do for chemistry? :smile: Maybe yours is nicer than mine XD or I just suck.

Wait just a couple of months? o.o
Wow
And I want to do maths, originally wanted to be a vet which is why I chose bio and chem, but not further maths. What do you want to do? :smile:

My exam board for chemistry is AQA... they have a double personality tbh the chemistry exams this year were fairly easy however biology unit 2 was sickening I could feel my hairline receding in that exam:mad:.

And wow nice, I couldn't survive doing maths for another 3/4 years... I want to do Dentistry but keep doubting myself after that Bio2 exam, so yeah I will have to apply soon... you still have some time :smile:
Original post by DCypel
I'm thinking of dropping ICT, however it is a bit of an easy A subject so I've got mixed feelings about it... I also do Maths, Sociology and Geography.. from which I need maths for uni to do computer science.

Although geography is a facilitating subject and is more traditional.... surely for computer science ICT would improve your application to some extent seeming as its an easy A as well:tongue:
I'm dropping Drama, out of Ancient History, Drama, Biology and English Literature.

I really hate the theory aspect of drama, and not because I don't like writing (I do). I just don't appreciate the way it's taught or the way it's marked. Which is a shame because I feel passionately about theater and acting :frown:
Original post by Okkefac

£400 squids for a trip to Wales to do with Biology. LMAOO hahaha
Reply 13
I'm doing a2 biol chem maths
Did geog at AS
Grade permitting hopefully going to uni in sept to do medicine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I do AS Maths, Physics, Computing and History.

Definitely dropping history and taking up Further Maths as an AS. Should've done it from the start to be honest but I was trying to keep my options open :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
AQA Chemistry? Are you only doing 3 AS levels?

Yes i do aqa chemistry
Im doing maths,bio,chem & geography but im dropping maths. Idk if I'm going to do well in chemistry/ Maths. I predict that the grades im going to take to a2 with me are BBE - E being for chemistry
Original post by 9967
I'm doing a2 biol chem maths
Did geog at AS
Grade permitting hopefully going to uni in sept to do medicine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha hello future me... what grades did you achieve at AS and well done... how many offers and what unis :colondollar:
Reply 17
Although geography is a facilitating subject and is more traditional.... surely for computer science ICT would improve your application to some extent seeming as its an easy A as well:tongue:

I see where you're coming from, however it doesnt really have much to do with computer science as computer science teaches you how to program and ict teaches you which printer is which... also it has got loads of coursework, this year it consisted of about 250 pages altogether and next year its meant to be even more, which will then mean I'll have less time for other subjects.
Original post by amanda.144
Yes i do aqa chemistry
Im doing maths,bio,chem & geography but im dropping maths. Idk if I'm going to do well in chemistry/ Maths. I predict that the grades im going to take to a2 with me are BBE - E being for chemistry

If I was you.... revise chemistry for some part of your summer (boring!) really build your knowledge and show your teacher that the exam was just a fluke so they can predict you a decent final grade and you can retake units next year :biggrin: ... did you work hard enough this year for chemistry... if you worked your butt off 24/7 and still achieved an E i dont think its the subject for you... if you believe you could of done much better (this is how i feel) then carry on and put in WORK this summer and year 13 :smile:
I am not really sure. My exams have gone pretty **** to be honest. Perhaps, all of them? Aha, okay, no. Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest