The Student Room Group

AS students- which AS subject will/might you drop this year and why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Dropping Bio and French (**** and not enough option blocks.)

How many AS did you do to start with? 5?
If I were to drop a subject (I do maths economics french and spanish) I'd drop economics because a) I don't like how your grade is determined by your exam technique and not your knowledge and b) I find it to be mostly common sense. I'm not sure I will drop it, however, because I want to push myself at A2 and I haven't found AS particularly challenging (hope the exam results show that...) I'm probably the only one going for a ML degree without English Literature :eek: , but then again I hate doing essays under timed pressure so that would have probably backfired. Sooooooo jealous of those who got to do more than 4 AS, my school only offers that to the further mathematicians :angry:
Original post by emily288
Cardiff seems like a nice city. It's far enough, but not too far away from home for me, which is nice. The cost of living in London puts me off KCL or Imperial.....

Yeah and I dont know why but it seems like London is a nice city but it has lost all "community" do you get what I mean? + I like cardiff unis specialty on sports... I want to play rugby there :colondollar: far enough from home eh cheeky :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Dropping Bio and French (**** and not enough option blocks.)

And I thought you were a wanna be polyglot. Tut tut tut :cool:
Original post by Alludeen1
If I were to drop a subject (I do maths economics french and spanish) I'd drop economics because a) I don't like how your grade is determined by your exam technique and not your knowledge and b) I find it to be mostly common sense. I'm not sure I will drop it, however, because I want to push myself at A2 and I haven't found AS particularly challenging (hope the exam results show that...) I'm probably the only one going for a ML degree without English Literature :eek: , but then again I hate doing essays under timed pressure so that would have probably backfired. Sooooooo jealous of those who got to do more than 4 AS, my school only offers that to the further mathematicians :angry:

If its common sense then surely you should definitely keep economics it at A2...the only common sense subject I have is general studies lol... anyways goodluck with 4 A2s you beast :tongue:
English because I barely wrote anything in the exams even though I knew the content :banghead:

I'm just hopeless at timed essays
Original post by Darkwarrior23
How many AS did you do to start with? 5?

4 but picking up fm A2
My exam board for biology is AQA what annoys me the MOST is if you have the nelson thornes book at the end of each topic or page it will have the how science works stuff... and then it says candidates not expected to recall facts from HSW... then suprise suprise it drifts into the exam.+ what on earth is the point in doing the ISA when the exam consists mainly of HSW... AQA have lost the plot and yesterday was 1 step too far... but apparently low grade boundaries thankfully like those seen in the equally messed up January 2011 Bio2 exam (54 for A out of 85... 64 for full UMS :colondollar: ) that would be a dream come true

Yeah loads of people I talked to said it was horrible. I don't know why but I found it quite alright, quite normal. That might be a bad sign though and I may have actually done quite badly, I tend to not be very good at judging how well exams go xD.
I just spent the last 10 mins of that exam looking at the picture of the seal...
I didn't do the Jan 2011 exam, but daamn grade boundaries like that would be awesome! I did hate the ISA this year though, blergh, that'll possibly bring down my whole grade by one, unless I did particularly well in the exams.
If its common sense then surely you should definitely keep economics it at A2...the only common sense subject I have is general studies lol... anyways goodluck with 4 A2s you beast :tongue:

Thanks :biggrin: I'm so glad we didn't have to do general studies, I heard one of the essays this year was on bricks used in school buildings or something similarly captivating! good luck with your results :smile:
Original post by Okkefac
Yeah loads of people I talked to said it was horrible. I don't know why but I found it quite alright, quite normal. That might be a bad sign though and I may have actually done quite badly, I tend to not be very good at judging how well exams go xD.
I just spent the last 10 mins of that exam looking at the picture of the seal...
I didn't do the Jan 2011 exam, but daamn grade boundaries like that would be awesome! I did hate the ISA this year though, blergh, that'll possibly bring down my whole grade by one, unless I did particularly well in the exams.

Haha that cute little bastard wasted like 5 mins off my time. and you are probably just good at making educated guesses and linking what youve learnt with different cases better then the average student:biggrin: and what did you get on your ISA I got 40:frown:
Reply 110
I do history psychology economics and maths and critical thinking - dropping psychology and critical thinking (you have to) - retaking my as maths as a subject is on the cards! I need an A over all - and it is just not happening with the maths exams I have done
Original post by Alludeen1
Thanks :biggrin: I'm so glad we didn't have to do general studies, I heard one of the essays this year was on bricks used in school buildings or something similarly captivating! good luck with your results :smile:

Haha that was the other exam board mine was on renewable energy resources which I teared up due to geography and chemistry and infectious disease and immunity which I destroyed thanks to biology I even went into sooo much detail exam marker will be mind****ed... give them a taste of their own medicine :tongue:
chemistry - worst teacher ever, missing out parts of the course, teaching us things that aren't on the spec -___- so done with chemsitry
Original post by mwahxx
I do history psychology economics and maths and critical thinking - dropping psychology and critical thinking (you have to) - retaking my as maths as a subject is on the cards! I need an A over all - and it is just not happening with the maths exams I have done

Which Maths exam have you done and what do you reckon you've got?
Really cannot afford to drop any of my subjects. Seem to be the only one.
Reply 115
I am torn between dropping maths or sociology ..
I originally took sociology because I enjoyed and and maths because I wanted to do economics at university... Now I'd like to do Economics and Politics. I took maths, economics, sociology and politics and really it only makes sense to drop sociology but the chances of me getting an A/A* are very high as opposed to me getting a B in maths overall is slim and I'll 100% be resitting C1 and C2. Thoughts?
Reply 116
I don't want to drop anything doing psychology, math, physics, psychology
Original post by infinitytheory
chemistry - worst teacher ever, missing out parts of the course, teaching us things that aren't on the spec -___- so done with chemsitry

I had the best teacher ever and then a bald new graduate took over for 3 months as part of his training.... the roles were reversed... I honestly think I've taught him more :mad::angry:
Original post by KirenA
I am torn between dropping maths or sociology ..
I originally took sociology because I enjoyed and and maths because I wanted to do economics at university... Now I'd like to do Economics and Politics. I took maths, economics, sociology and politics and really it only makes sense to drop sociology but the chances of me getting an A/A* are very high as opposed to me getting a B in maths overall is slim and I'll 100% be resitting C1 and C2. Thoughts?

How many economic degrees require maths? if not all then definetly drop maths an A in Sociology is much better and valuable then a C in maths in my opinion :tongue: and push AS math grade up next year
Haha that cute little bastard wasted like 5 mins off my time. and you are probably just good at making educated guesses and linking what youve learnt with different cases better then the average student:biggrin: and what did you get on your ISA I got 40:frown:

I finished with 15 minutes at the end, and I never go through my answers, I would've stared at the cute little guy for all 15 minutes but I felt I would've looked weird if anyone noticed.
I might be good at it, I have no idea, I've done well in my past papers but I only did 3 for the two bio units each (compared to my other subjects where I did more, whoops).
Ah, what was 40 out of? My school doesn't let us know our ISA results until results day, and if we want to resit we have to do it next year in May, which is stupid.

Quick Reply

Latest