The Student Room Group

Access course, Edinburgh University and feeling old..

Hi!

First of all thank you for reading and reply me.

Im thinking about to make a access course in september. I'm 23 and for mental health reasons I had to stop my studies almost 2 years ago. I feel much better and I want to try to study genetics at Edinburgh or Glasgow (I'm from EU and it's cheaper for me study there, so I really need to be there).
I have these weird feelings, feeling old and crying myself until sleep but I really need to try and I need to prove to myself that I can do this, that I'm not stupid and unuseful.
Recovering took me some time and nobody can give me back that time but I don't want to listen anymore to the people that tell me that I'm too old or too stupid to build a career in science.

Genetics it's my dream, there is nothing in the world that I want more than study.

My questions are:

- ¿There is somebody heard that gained a place in Edinburgh with a access course? (I didn't know what apparently it's a "snobbish" university) is that true?

- Do I really have any chance to be there with a access course?

And, starting with 24.

- Do I have any chance of build a career in research and be good on it?

Thank you again for your time and Excuse my english.

Nia
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Nobody? I really appreciate any advice.
A quick look at whatuni.com shows that the universities of Aberdeen and Dundee also offer Genetics, which gives you a choice of 4 Scottish universities. I think you should contact any universities that you are interested in and ask their advice about whether Access courses are acceptable for Genetics.

I wouldn't worry about your age. 24/25 is perfectly young enough both to enjoy university and to stand as good a chance of finding employment as anybody else afterwards.
I'm 40, and I'm about to do an MSc in High Performance Computing at Edinburgh Uni. If I'm not too old, you definitely aren't. :-)

Seriously, whatever has happened to you so far in your life, it's in the past. It's *never* too late to do your best to make the most of today and of every day that follows - regardless of where you're starting.

If you're still having emotional difficulty, then please make sure you talk to someone about it. Find a friend, call a parent, see a counsellor - just don't try to bear it alone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending