The Student Room Group

How do I deal with this problem? Should I change?

I have a few neighbours, all of which are little girls of ages 8-11. They are very playful and I see them a lot as we all tend to relax (or in their case, play) in the community garden quite often. When I do spend time in the garden, they always try to interact and play with me by using violence, hitting me and taking my things and hiding them. I am a mature boy of 16 years and therefore cannot use violence back or get angry about the situation. I do not want to involve the parents as I do not wish for them to get in trouble. I believe that they might have small crushes on me and that is why they are behaving so. But I would much rather have their respect than to be their friendly nice neighbour. How can I earn this respect. They are all very well educated girls and only seem to change around me.Two days ago, the little girl of eight tried to punch me in the testicles and pull my trousers down. I responded by saying "do not do that, you should not do that", but all the girls just giggled and carried on. Then they blocked the door, not letting me enter my house, which left me no option but to walk away because other people were around. How should I approach this situation? They are nice little girls and I therefore do not want to get them in trouble. I have bruises from their kicks even though they are only laughing and playing. I KNOW, I Cannot let this carry on. But anger or violence will not change the situation.I am aware that my relationship with these little girls must be adjusted. I must assert my authority. Thank you, Anonymous :wink:
Reply 1
Jesus, just tell their parents.
Original post by Anonymous
I have a few neighbours, all of which are little girls of ages 8-11. They are very playful and I see them a lot as we all tend to relax (or in their case, play) in the community garden quite often. When I do spend time in the garden, they always try to interact and play with me by using violence, hitting me and taking my things and hiding them. I am a mature boy of 16 years and therefore cannot use violence back or get angry about the situation. I do not want to involve the parents as I do not wish for them to get in trouble. I believe that they might have small crushes on me and that is why they are behaving so. But I would much rather have their respect than to be their friendly nice neighbour. How can I earn this respect. They are all very well educated girls and only seem to change around me.Two days ago, the little girl of eight tried to punch me in the testicles and pull my trousers down. I responded by saying "do not do that, you should not do that", but all the girls just giggled and carried on. Then they blocked the door, not letting me enter my house, which left me no option but to walk away because other people were around. How should I approach this situation? They are nice little girls and I therefore do not want to get them in trouble. I have bruises from their kicks even though they are only laughing and playing. I KNOW, I Cannot let this carry on. But anger or violence will not change the situation.I am aware that my relationship with these little girls must be adjusted. I must assert my authority. Thank you, Anonymous :wink:

Literally do as the above said, just tell their parents and say that if the girls' behaviour does not change you will complain. Or you could ask your parents to tell the girls' parents.

Or... you could stop going to the community garden? It's you or them that needs to change (most likely them) :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
it's only going to get worse if you don't tell anyone, tell your mum/dad and let them deal with it, :judge:
Reply 4
Original post by LIT10106536
it's only going to get worse if you don't tell anyone, tell your mum/dad and let them deal with it, :judge:
I do not want to involve parents as they are only little girls and I do not wish for them to get in trouble for only playing. There would also be too many parents to complain to.The response I am hoping to get is how to behave to combat this disrespect from these little girls. I understand that they may have crushes on me or they are very fond of me, but i will not tolerate violence.Therefore, should I get angry to stop this? and if so, what sort of anger would be effective?Thanks for the response though:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Kill3er
Jesus, just tell their parents.
tell me what i can do to change the way they treat me.. thanks :smile:
If they are as nice and well educated as you say they should know better. I seriously advice you tell their parents

Posted from TSR Mobile
tell their parents!!!

also, you don't have to hurt them if they're 8-11 years old and block your way surely you can just pick them up and put them down somewhere else?
Reply 8
Original post by doodle_333
tell their parents!!!also, you don't have to hurt them if they're 8-11 years old and block your way surely you can just pick them up and put them down somewhere else?
If only... they have strength in numbers... I am quite well built but unless i make a scene, it would be impossible to pick them up while they are kicking, punching and scratching. I don´t exactly want to get punched down below again. In response to your suggestion, there would be too many parents to tell. I need advice on how to shape my character to force them to respect me. For example, should I smile at them? or should I ignore them and not even say hi? When they talk should I be rude?thanks
If only... they have strength in numbers... I am quite well built but unless i make a scene, it would be impossible to pick them up while they are kicking, punching and scratching. I don´t exactly want to get punched down below again. In response to your suggestion, there would be too many parents to tell. I need advice on how to shape my character to force them to respect me. For example, should I smile at them? or should I ignore them and not even say hi? When they talk should I be rude?thanks

there may be a lot of parents but if they have a pack mentality I doubt there is much you can do, especially now they have the impression of you as a walkover

if you want to try and deal yourself you just need to speak with authority, think of teachers you respected at school, don't be rude or over friendly, just tell them to stop with authority, it can be hard to do, I don't have anyyyyyy natural authority and when I started working with kids found it really hard to be taken seriously but you can foster authority if you practice, remember that a 16 year old is still old to them!

personally I would go for some non-violent physical intervention, e.g. moving them or grabbing hands and then tell them firmly to go play somewhere else and treat you with respect
Original post by doodle_333
there may be a lot of parents but if they have a pack mentality I doubt there is much you can do, especially now they have the impression of you as a walkoverif you want to try and deal yourself you just need to speak with authority, think of teachers you respected at school, don't be rude or over friendly, just tell them to stop with authority, it can be hard to do, I don't have anyyyyyy natural authority and when I started working with kids found it really hard to be taken seriously but you can foster authority if you practice, remember that a 16 year old is still old to them! personally I would go for some non-violent physical intervention, e.g. moving them or grabbing hands and then tell them firmly to go play somewhere else and treat you with respect
:smile: :smile: just the answer i was looking for... thank you !

This sounds so annoying, act like they are pathetic and immature so they feel stupid treating you in this way. Don't laugh or even smile (which is easy to do) but they'd think you were enjoying it. Get a friend to sit with you and ignore them and tell them to stop being such babies.

Worse comes to worse, tell their parents.

Throw them all in the bin for the lulz.
While I understand not wanting to get them into trouble, I think the best thing to do would be to tell their parents because regardless of whether they think its a bit of harmless fun or not, they need to learn and understand respect and boundaries. Especially when it comes to other people's bodies (!!)

It would honestly be better to speak to their parents now, express that you don't want to be overstepping the mark by telling them off or disciplining them, but you're getting fed up of being interfered with. Express that you don't mind playing with them or talking to them, but they need to respect your personal boundaries

Parents will probably appreiciate that you're coming to them rather than taking action yourself, its also probably best to try and deal with the situation now by speaking with their parents now rather than losing your temper with them later or have them make up stories about you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending