The Student Room Group

Do History students actually have it that bad..? :/

Hi all,

I hope this is in the right section!

Okay I was talking to some 3rd year lawyers graduating this year and well they were talking about degrees and their value in terms of employment.

I am not referring to hard v. soft subjects here, but employability. They were talking about how some degrees = unemployment and they put history in this category.

Now I understand the importance of getting work experience, ect during your 3 years plus at uni, but they were implying that this does not matter. They were saying your employability ends at your degree alone to a greater extent.

I know some lawyers are a bit "bitter" as many Historians end up in Law (Solicitors or Barristers). And yet they feel (perhaps rightly so) that getting a 2.1 in Law is harder than getting one in History.

I was trying to push that it what you do in your 3 years that count. After all not all Lawyers are employed or have secured a job before or after graduating.

What do you think? This is not a question on the difficulty of the degrees or which one is better, just the idea that Law = employable and History = not employable.

Sorry for any typos. You get the gist of what I am trying to ask....
I worked with 2 people in a call centre who had a law degree ... Enough said :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest