The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

kizer
It's not so much being friends with them, it's spending time alone with them. It's odd if your gf spends time alone with other guys when she could be with you. Just like it would be odd if your bf spent time with other girls alone when he could be with you.

This isn't about spending time with other guys. It's about spending time with your friends, and if the OP's boyfriend wants to choose her friends for her, that's a serious trust issue.
Reply 21
Berto90
While agree with the other posts saying it is fine, I feel that I must point out that if you spend more time with these male friends than you do with your bf, he has a reason to feel insecure.

but that depends on your circumstances... i sometimes spend a lot more time with other guys because i'm at a seperate uni to my bf.

i guess if i was constantly ditching my bf to see other guys then he could get miffed- but there have been situations when this has happened if something's happened and i need to be there as a friend

just depends how trusting you are

lou xxx
Reply 22
This guy sounds a bit possessive and rather insecure. I think you should perhaps talk this thing through with him to clear any misunderstandings. See if he thinks or suspects you flirting with your other male friends, then he has a reason to get paranoid, insecure and jealous. But, if you have just been normal and friendly with them and have done nothing to cheat on him or to get him suspicious, I don't see why he should be getting so paranoid. In that case, you should maybe reassure him.
Reply 23
thanks for your opinions. it seems that the girls feel its fine but the guys only think its fine in certain situations e.g if the girl is unable to spend time with her boyfriend. he is not controlling he tends to put the guilt trip on and thinks that all the guys are after me when they clearly are not!its interesting to get an unbiased outside point of view!
sylvester
thanks for your opinions. it seems that the girls feel its fine but the guys only think its fine in certain situations e.g if the girl is unable to spend time with her boyfriend. he is not controlling he tends to put the guilt trip on and thinks that all the guys are after me when they clearly are not!its interesting to get an unbiased outside point of view!

guilt tripping is still being controlling and kinda manipulative. do what you want and make sure he tows the line!
Pretty Boy
Oh really? In my experience girls aren't the best at being able to tell if a guy is after them. I rather think a guy is better at seeing such things from a guys point of view. Even if the guys aren't actively pursuing you, you can bet your bottom dollar they think about it from time to time which your b/f knows and it prolly makes him uncomfortable. True story.

depends on the girl 0_o

evryone thinks about stuff from time to time. that doesnt mean they want to do anything about it. if hes the one whos uncomfortable with life he should deal with it instead of blaming her.
Pretty Boy
Again, I think this is a case of females massively underestimating the male sex drive. Plus, usually, if a guy gets half he'll do something about it.

your massively underestimating some womens sex drives, ive yet to find a man wh can keep up with me. anyway thats not the point, some men have whats known as 'morals'. i trust my male friends not to try and jump into bed with me. *some* men dont just think with their penis, although admittedly alot of them do.
Pretty Boy
Again, I think this is a case of females massively underestimating the male sex drive. Plus, usually, if a guy gets half he'll do something about it.

And I think this is a case of a male underestimating the judgement and sensibility of other males. I know of many examples of straight men having entirely platonic relationships with women. Men don't want to have sex with all women - or at least this man doesn't.
Pretty Boy
A couple of drinks and you'll see most guys true colours.

oh, an btw,

Male sex drive > Female sex drive

But you'd have to be a guy to truly understand that.

no to have a balanced view you would have t have tried both and i very much doubt you have lol.

and what would be the point in having mates if you didnt trust them to look after you when you were drunk? mine have on occasion told me i have had quite enough to drink, given me water and hauled me off to bed *in a totally non sexual way*. my god the way you talk you'd think all men are total ****wits.
Reply 29
high priestess fnord
no to have a balanced view you would have t have tried both and i very much doubt you have lol.

and what would be the point in having mates if you didnt trust them to look after you when you were drunk? mine have on occasion told me i have had quite enough to drink, given me water and hauled me off to bed *in a totally non sexual way*. my god the way you talk you'd think all men are total ****wits.

do i have too much faith in men thinking that you can actually be JUST friends with them and not have to worry about any form of intimacy? or am i giving them too much credit here..
Pretty Boy
A couple of drinks and you'll see most guys true colours.

oh, an btw,

Male sex drive > Female sex drive

But you'd have to be a guy to truly understand that.

So what you're saying is, every male has a greater sex drive than every female?
sylvester
do i have too much faith in men thinking that you can actually be JUST friends with them and not have to worry about any form of intimacy? or am i giving them too much credit here..

depends on the man. there are men i trust and men i wouldnt trust as far as i could throw them and some who are in between. you can be 'just friends' with a man tho, dont let anyone tell you otherwise.
Reply 32
I know he doesn't have a right to distrust you but I do understand for him doing so. Sometimes, your boyfriend might need to feel like the only one and he can't feel this way if he feels he has to compete with other males.

Ofcourse, you can't not spend time with your male friends so I suggest you speak to him about it and reassure him about the situation. Make sure he doesn't suppress his feelings about this because then they will build up and he'll burst like a dam.

Humans are jealous beings and while it's annoying, try to put yourself in his shoes. Would you like it if your boyfriend was close to another girl and possibly made you feel like you weren't the only girl?

In theory, he shouldn't mind but close friends of the opposite sex always get in the way.
sylvester

I think it's quite possible to have entirely platonic relationships between heterosexual men and women. I know I wouldn't try to make a move on any of my female friends if I were alone with them, and that would be a decision on my part, not because they already had a boyfriend or they weren't interested. There are probably some men who would have trouble having a non-intimate relationship with a woman, and I don't want to suggest that's all that bad a thing, but I know many men who can sustain a friendship with a woman and not want to take it further.
im a male and i have a best mate who is female and she is engaged... only problem is that me and her have slept with each other 6 times now since meeting 6 months ago...
like i said, some men i trust and some i just dont...
I dont think you should be so quick to judge your bf like that OP. Its understandable.

If youre hanging around alone with a guy he doesnt know, hes going to feel threatened no matter how much trust he has in you. Its an emotional thing not a logical thing, he cant help feeling like that. Ive had girls dump me for 'friends' of theirs, afterwards you think "i was such an idiot i should have seen this coming, why did i let them get so close?" im not saying you'd cheat on him but you can understand how he might be scared anyway

The answer, of course, is to encourage your bf to make friends with your male friends. I wouldnt be bothered at all if my gf spent time with my best mate
Pretty Boy

Of course it doesn't go for EVERY male and yes I'm generalising becuse some dont actually have the confidence to go for it and spend their time hangin round with girls and some are just effeminate.

so your trying to say that any trustworthy man is either effeminate or lacks confidence to make a move? my god you are self hating.
Reply 38
Pretty Boy

So? Even if a guy is pathetic enough to let his sex drive override a friendship and make a move on an attached female friend, doesn't mean that she's going to respond! So what if a male friend occasionally thinks what it would be like to have sex with you? That doesn't mean that the girl in question is immediately going to ditch her man for some loser who doesn't realise the boundaries there are.

I think it is possible to take platonic friendships too far while in a relationship - if they're really tactile ones, or if you'd see particular male friends in preference to your boyfriend. But in any normal situation, most people have mixed-sex friendship groups and why should that change if they're in a relationship?
Helenia
So? Even if a guy is pathetic enough to let his sex drive override a friendship and make a move on an attached female friend, doesn't mean that she's going to respond! So what if a male friend occasionally thinks what it would be like to have sex with you? That doesn't mean that the girl in question is immediately going to ditch her man for some loser who doesn't realise the boundaries there are.

I think it is possible to take platonic friendships too far while in a relationship - if they're really tactile ones, or if you'd see particular male friends in preference to your boyfriend. But in any normal situation, most people have mixed-sex friendship groups and why should that change if they're in a relationship?

because pretty boy cant keep his penis under control and so assumes no other man can either :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending