The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol vs ANU?

Need some feedback on something that is troubling me, I have offers for PhD from Australian National University and The University of Bristol. SG here.

Anyone studied from both unis? Any views or comments about which would you recommend?
Bristol is a much nicer place to live than Canberra...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
How would you say Bristol as a uni is like?
I haven't attended the university, but it does have an excellent reputation

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't studied at either but live in Australia. The universities' reputations are almost identical, so I'd base it on where you'd rather live. Personally I'd choose Bristol (mostly for the more historic feel and opportunity to travel around Europe), but you'd be surprised how many people love Canberra. Its best features are fresh, clean air and pristine, easily accessible nature. There are also decent museums and some pretty good restaurants (the food isn't up to Singaporean standards; but neither would it be in Bristol).

Anyway, I mainly wanted to say something positive about Canberra. It's not such a bad place, and could be a decent choice depending on your priorities. For parks/trees/nature/marginally better weather go to Canberra, and for a bigger-city vibe, more conventionally-pretty (ie older) city and more diverse travel options choose Bristol. I'd go with Bristol, but it's a decision you should make for yourself! An intensive googling session and/or visits to each city should help you clear things up
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Yes it has been really helpful. I really appreciate all the comments and advice here
I am an academic who has worked at both.

Bristol - central city campus, older traditional University with good international reputation, especially for STEM subjects and Medicine.
Canberra - modern campus Uni in modern artificial 'capital' city in the middle of nowhere. Uni concentrates on research and is well recognised internationally.

In my opinion neither are 'better' than the other in terms of reputation or student experience. The atmosphere at ANU is a bit more intense than Bristol, but the campus and city environments are vastly different. Canberra is a weird place and I couldn't wait to leave - its bland, boring and feels 'empty'. Its full of civil servants (thats all they do there) and has no sense of community. Its deserted at weekends. It certainly wont give you any real sense of 'living in Australia'. Bristol is an old city, full of real people. The Uni is a bit strung out but facilities are just as good and the sense of community and 'life' is certainly far better.

Check out the relevant films on You Tube :
Bristol : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzMxTHksVT4
ANU : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mzbDcoH_Ug
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
This is just my unbiased opinion.

ANU

Pros:

1. Generally considered the best (or 2nd best if you're a unimelb student) university in the country (Australia).
2. Closer to Singapore, air plane tickets would be cheaper if you plan on returning every year.
3. Bigger asian population, more international students.
4. Located in the Capital of the country.
5. Better international ranking.

Cons:

1. Far away from everything.
2. Cost of living is higher, not sure if your accommodation is taken care of as a PhD student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending