The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inthedark1
Im not saying they don't I'm saying that just because men have more muscles doesn't mean that women should be portrayed as weaklings who can't fend for themselves. Women have muscles too and just like guys can become stronger with training. I'm not saying they are as strong as guys as guys are naturally bigger/stronger. What I'm saying was that a lot of films don't show a woman's strength (apart from tomb raider etc) they don't seem to portray physical strength on women at all. Just because men have more strenth doesn't mean women can't have it does it? In fact they go the other way and make it look like women have no muscles and just flop on the ground in a crisis lol under the name of so called 'feminine'. In reality women are using their physical strength all the time and many work out/go to the gym. Many wouldn't just fall to the ground in a time of crisis as portrayed in films. This is what I'm getting at nothing else. How would you feel if you were female lol? You would probably be posting the same thread!

As I said it's feminism gone mad
Original post by blablabla321
The bit where they fall and struggle to get up is my favourite :biggrin:. The only film I can think of right now with a physically strong heroine would be the hunger games ones but im sure there are more.

What about the Incredibles? Elastigirl though... :cool:
Original post by 29Bilal96
What about the Incredibles? Elastigirl though... :cool:

ahah LOOOL completely forgot about her I reckon the woman from kill bill( the one Uma Thurman plays) is way harder though.
Hermione? Katniss? Hmm..
ahah LOOOL completely forgot about her I reckon the woman from kill bill( the one Uma Thurman plays) is way harder though.

Oooh I don't know, that's a tough one? And remember when Elastigirl just destroys those security guards in a lift? Pure strength.
Oooh I don't know, that's a tough one? And remember when Elastigirl just destroys those security guards in a lift? Pure strength.

Ahahhhah that is by far her best scene but for arguments sake if they were in a fight the one from kill bill would definitely win. She would chop Elastigirl up.
Original post by inthedark1
For example in films etc they are rarely portrayed as hero's. It's always men who know everything has to save them in a storm or crisis the woman just stands there with her make up fully done screaming or struggling. Even when she does pluck up some bravery she often looks terrified ie titanic she saved jack but had to be reassured constantly and told what to do by him lol, he was younger than her wasnt he. In films where woman are running away from killers etc they usually fall in the forest and struggle to get up like some weakling. When does this happen with men.. They get straight up, in fact they don't even run away in the first place lol. They are also in some films made to look like gold dust that men fight over even though they don't do anything but wear dresses and put makeup on:/ Again in reality women often fight over men.

I know that men are generally physically stronger but it is very exaggerated in films, in reality women often are sometimes stronger/braver etc. Does anyone know any films where women are the strong physically fit hero's? I want to watch them they inspire me a bit ha.

It annoys me that women are pigeon-holed into either a masculine ideal of 'strong' or else in a 'weak' way people associate with femininity. It annoys me there aren't a range of women in media since women are never portrayed complexly.
(edited 9 years ago)
For anyone interested in female media portrayals or feminist stuff, there's something called The Bechdel Test.

The rules for this test are:

1. It has to have at least two [named] women in it
2. Who talk to each other
3. About something besides a man

It's pretty shocking to actually see how many films DON'T pass this test, and really is something to get angry about..
Ahahhhah that is by far her best scene but for arguments sake if they were in a fight the one from kill bill would definitely win. She would chop Elastigirl up.

Meh. She could always call on Frozone. Ahh...I always wished I was that guy, he was far too cool for school :P
Meh. She could always call on Frozone. Ahh...I always wished I was that guy, he was far too cool for school :P

He actually was but his powers were limited so the novelty would wear off very soon.
Original post by GeorgeBuxey94
For anyone interested in female media portrayals or feminist stuff, there's something called The Bechdel Test.

The rules for this test are:

1. It has to have at least two [named] women in it
2. Who talk to each other
3. About something besides a man

It's pretty shocking to actually see how many films DON'T pass this test, and really is something to get angry about..

More about it here for anyone who is interested :h:
Original post by carlholwell
As I said it's feminism gone mad

How has it gone mad just trying to get through that a certain gender isn't weak.

Unless women are really not thought of as that weak and I just have a complex because stuff is said as banter. I don't know. I think most men respect women that I have come across I just don't think much of some older films lol
The bit where they fall and struggle to get up is my favourite :biggrin:. The only film I can think of right now with a physically strong heroine would be the hunger games ones but im sure there are more.

I was about to say the same thing! Even in Harry potter to some extent, Harmione was the brains behind everything and generally was, if not the strongest, one of the strongest characters!!
Original post by matthewduncan
Im not though.
Generally women are weaker physically and mentally.

That's clearly untrue! Perhaps they're physically stronger than females to an extent, but I mean, if a man can squeak a child out of his genitals, your case could never really win, as that alone takes a great deal of physical strength that males couldn't even fathom let alone deal with!
In terms of mentally, how on earth would you ever be able to prove that?
I mean. A film with a strong, muscular female is really cool. But it's not attractive to a lot of people. Like the singer Pink is proudly all big and strong and tough and rough and she's so irrelevant. Yet a weakling like Rihanna who shows absolutely no physical or mental power at all is a huge star unfortunately. People cry they want a tough strong cool female but they really don't. Big box office hits only become hits if people flock to see them, and in those it's always like a dizy girl with bad jokes, she just looks nice.
Original post by Diamond girl
I was about to say the same thing! Even in Harry potter to some extent, Harmione was the brains behind everything and generally was, if not the strongest, one of the strongest characters!!

Looks like we're 'thought' twins:tongue:Thats probably not a thing but it should be. I agree, Harry Potter wouldn't have been able to figure most of the stuff out on his own.
Original post by Diamond girl
That's clearly untrue! Perhaps they're physically stronger than females to an extent, but I mean, if a man can squeak a child out of his genitals, your case could never really win, as that alone takes a great deal of physical strength that males couldn't even fathom let alone deal with!
In terms of mentally, how on earth would you ever be able to prove that?

Well you can't measure pain so that also is unmeasurable your point is irrelevant, pain is subjective.

But physically men are stronger please don't argue otherwise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Women choose to go through childbirth, but men don't choose to get kicked in the balls

From that we can conclude that a ball kick is the worst pain known to humankind
Original post by manchesterunited15
Women choose to go through childbirth, but men don't choose to get kicked in the balls

the funny thing is this is true. getting kicked in the balls has scientifically been proved to produce more pain (srs)
Original post by manchesterunited15

Some men can take a kick to the balls through extreme discipline

These men may choose to take one

Original post by caseyfattey69
the funny thing is this is true. getting kicked in the balls has scientifically been proved to produce more pain (srs)

Erm no, you can't measure pain, lol.

Scientifically proven you know :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest