The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mubariz
Well you can't measure pain so that also is unmeasurable your point is irrelevant, pain is subjective.

But physically men are stronger please don't argue otherwise

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't disagree with that claim actually, if you read what I said properly, I did state that they're physically strong to an extend, which is true! And as for your earlier point, the ability to handle pain is influenced by one's physical strength, thus making my point relevant thank you very much!
says who u uneducated bastard
Original post by GeorgeBuxey94
For anyone interested in female media portrayals or feminist stuff, there's something called The Bechdel Test.

The rules for this test are:

1. It has to have at least two [named] women in it
2. Who talk to each other
3. About something besides a man

It's pretty shocking to actually see how many films DON'T pass this test, and really is something to get angry about..

Original post by shadowdweller
More about it here for anyone who is interested :h:

lol only feminists
Original post by Diamond girl
I didn't disagree with that claim actually, if you read what I said properly, I did state that they're physically strong to an extend, which is true! And as for your earlier point, the ability to handle pain is influenced by one's physical strength, thus making my point relevant thank you very much!

Not really, mma fighters take more pain than powerlifters but the latter are stronger.

Plus like I said you cannot measure pain so you cannot prove it, pain is subjective therefore point is irrelevant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blablabla321
Looks like we're 'thought' twins:tongue:Thats probably not a thing but it should be. I agree, Harry Potter wouldn't have been able to figure most of the stuff out on his own.

Loool, I know right! And yesss, exactly! She was definitely an important character in Harry Potter!
Original post by caseyfattey69
says who u uneducated bastard

At least quote me, then debate. But go on then, show proof that your claim is true, I am waiting for a laugh

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mubariz
Not really, mma fighters take more pain than powerlifters but the latter are stronger.

Plus like I said you cannot measure pain so you cannot prove it, pain is subjective therefore point is irrelevant

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, I didn't claim that strength is determined by pain, but pain is definitely an influential factor! Pain may be subjective, but something like childbirth is universally painful, the degrees of pain differs but it's viewed as painful in general!
Again, I didn't claim that strength is determined by pain, but pain is definitely an influential factor! Pain may be subjective, but something like childbirth is universally painful, the degrees of pain differs but it's viewed as painful in general!

Well not really, the influential factors (of the pain you can take) are the pain you have received before (because pain is subjective, something won't hurt you of you go through a lot of pain every day) and the hormones running through your body, which is why it's possible for a woman to give birth, and also possible for people to not feel a pin during a fight (adrenaline)

I never doubted it is not painful but claiming it is more painful or less painful than getting kicked in the nuts it's pure bull****

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mubariz
Well not really, the influential factors are the pain you have received before (because pain is subjective, something won't hurt you of you go through a lot of pain every day) and the hormones running through your body, which is why it's possible for a woman to give birth, and also possible for people to not feel a pin during a fight (adrenaline)

I never doubted it is not painful but claiming it is more painful or less painful than getting kicked in the nuts it's pure bull****

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have an interesting point, but is there some level of confusion on your part? I haven't even compared childbirth to being kicked in the balls once! I was merely arguing a case for why women are physically strong, in fact, why women are relatively close to male strength (again, not saying women are stronger, but just closer to strength than people may think)
Original post by BeteNoire1990
I mean. A film with a strong, muscular female is really cool. But it's not attractive to a lot of people. Like the singer Pink is proudly all big and strong and tough and rough and she's so irrelevant. Yet a weakling like Rihanna who shows absolutely no physical or mental power at all is a huge star unfortunately. People cry they want a tough strong cool female but they really don't. Big box office hits only become hits if people flock to see them, and in those it's always like a dizy girl with bad jokes, she just looks nice.

I agree with you to an extent, but Pink is a huge star too, not as big as Rihanna I guess but still extremely popular!
I agree with you to an extent, but Pink is a huge star too, not as big as Rihanna I guess but still extremely popular!

Of course she's popular, she's been around way longer than Rihanna but it's like for the time she's been around it seems no one really cares. My point is, when the world gets a tough chick they stiff her and pick the ditzy obviously pretty one. So it's not the industry all the time, it's the audience.
You have an interesting point, but is there some level of confusion on your part? I haven't even compared childbirth to being kicked in the balls once! I was merely arguing a case for why women are physically strong, in fact, why women are relatively close to male strength (again, not saying women are stronger, but just closer to strength than people may think)

I actually never said you compared them, I just said saying one is more is crap, now since when can take a look to the balls and women can take childbirth and pain is not measurable your pain point is irrelevant.

They aren't anywhere close in strength. It has been estimated that a fit, strong 15-16 year old boy is around the level of a Olympic woman. You just have to look at the pro stays to see my point, why do to you think there are different leagues if the difference isn't that big.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
This thread has become loathsome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I'd just like to let everyone know caseyfattey69 sent me a picture of his dick...

Classy.
Original post by Mubariz
I actually never said you compared them, I just said saying one is more is crap, now since when can take a look to the balls and women can take childbirth and pain is not measurable your pain point is irrelevant.

They aren't anywhere close in strength. It has been estimated that a fit, strong 15-16 year old boy is around the level of a Olympic woman. You just have to look at the pro stays to see my point, why do to you think there are different leagues if the difference isn't that big.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is getting exhausting! You implied I said it, but fair enough! And as for estimations, unless it's completely proven, well it's not entirely worth mentioning then, maybe?
Your point makes sense! At the end of the day, I've not once denied males being physically stronger than females, but I stick with my claim that women are not too far off, no estimation will change that view! Unless there happens to be a large amount of hardcore research that proves that males are in fact are lot stronger than females, I will stick with my opinion!
This is getting exhausting! You implied I said it, but fair enough! And as for estimations, unless it's completely proven, well it's not entirely worth mentioning then, maybe?
Your point makes sense! At the end of the day, I've not once denied males being physically stronger than females, but I stick with my claim that women are not too far off, no estimation will change that view! Unless there happens to be a large amount of hardcore research that proves that males are in fact are lot stronger than females, I will stick with my opinion!

Look at any sport. World record bench press for men is almost twice as much as the one for women, same with the squat and deadlift. It is almost exactly double for all 3 main lifts with 6 different people, see a correlation?

I don't want to waste my time finding any proof but it's ure there is a lot of it, you can look yourself if you are so interested.

Look at any sport, males would almost always dominate women, that's why there are different divisions because it would be unfair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 256
Not really, since I have over 3 IQ points so I know that basically all films have relied on the same tired stereotypes since the dawn of cinema. Potheads are depicted as lazy, stupid and unmotivated, when it real life the only people I know who do weed are some of the most thoughtful, intelligent and articulate people I know. Children are depicted as sweet and harmless, when most of the children I know in real life are total squawking nuisances. Women are depicted as fragile and helpless, and yet I once dislocated a man's jaw in self defense on the London underground.
Original post by Per
Not really, since I have over 3 IQ points so I know that basically all films have relied on the same tired stereotypes since the dawn of cinema. Potheads are depicted as lazy, stupid and unmotivated, when it real life the only people I know who do weed are some of the most thoughtful, intelligent and articulate people I know. Children are depicted as sweet and harmless, when most of the children I know in real life are total squawking nuisances. Women are depicted as fragile and helpless, and yet I once dislocated a man's jaw in self defense on the London underground.

I doubt you dislocated a man's jaw unless he really was not ready for it or he was especially fragile himself. The reason being it is hard for a male to dislocate another man's jaw so I find it hard to believe the average woman could do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 258
Original post by Mubariz
I doubt you dislocated a man's jaw unless he really was not ready for it or he was especially fragile himself. The reason being it is hard for a male to dislocate another man's jaw so I find it hard to believe the average woman could do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't have to believe it, it still happened. He was just an average eastern european, about 5'9 (I'm 5'3). Comedy gold. It was a decent strike but just luck that it happened in the right place I admit. Pow, right in the kisser. Pretty sure it was dislocated by the way it was hanging, plus his shrieking. The best part was I was wearing a pink dress and heels. I'd give my life's earnings to have that CCTV footage.
Alien I-IV
Hannibal
Silence Of The Lambs
Edward Scissorhands
Terminator
Terminator 2
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
Star Wars I-III
Downfall
etc

Most slasher films (Halloween, Friday 13th, Nightmare On Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre etc..) usually have a strong female character.

Latest