The Student Room Group

Classical Civilisation as a private candidate/ textbooks

Hi, I'm currently looking into self studying Classical Civilisation (probably AQA) to sit both the AS and A2 exams next year. Aside from the primary texts mentioned in the specification, I was wondering whether there were any textbooks that are typically used for this course. I've found 'The Oxford Companion to Classical Civilization' online but it would be helpful if students currently studying the course could advise me as to which books I should buy as there doesn't seem to be much information out there for private candidates. Thanks.
We have done OCR Classical Civilisation at home, but don't know the AQA syllabus. Plenty of stuff out there.
It really depends on which topics you choose to study- there are several topics for each unit. Or at least, there are for the AQA syllabus, I am not so certain with OCR :smile:
Reply 3
I was thinking of studying either Aristophanes or Cicero for Unit 1, the Odyssey for Unit 2, Greek tragedy for Unit 3 and Socrates for Unit 4. I suppose I was asking whether there are any course specific textbooks or whether I'd generally be fine in simply studying the primary texts alongside a few relevant guidebooks, the specification and online resources.
Original post by 1181
I was thinking of studying either Aristophanes or Cicero for Unit 1, the Odyssey for Unit 2, Greek tragedy for Unit 3 and Socrates for Unit 4. I suppose I was asking whether there are any course specific textbooks or whether I'd generally be fine in simply studying the primary texts alongside a few relevant guidebooks, the specification and online resources.

Out of those units I have only done Cicero, I'm afraid.

The books we read were: 'Cicero and the Roman Republic'John Murrell and 'Selected Works' Cicero. I think that was it.

You could also read Imperium and Lustrum by Robert Harris. They are fiction but sometimes it helps put everything in a sort of timeline in your head, I think. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by 1181

There are no course specific text books unless they are specified in the specifications (for instance, the Women In Athens And Rome paper prescribes a book of translated extracts that you must use).

I can highly recommend as an "extra" the Cambridge Learning series of Classics books, which discuss important extracts and issues across the themes you are looking at. You can see the full list here - there are books on all the units you are considering which would undoubtedly help you.

You'll be able to find a million resources on tragedy and the Odyssey in particular as those are very popular options. I've never quite worked out what most people do for paper 1 (possibly the art and architecture paper?) but there's almost always some Aristophanes shoved in there unless you do Cicero, so a book on theatre would be useful - if you're interested specifically in comedy I'd suggest Kenneth Dover's "Aristophanic Comedy" which is pretty accessible and comprehensive at the same time.

Use the specification's suggested resource lists to help you out with reading as well - while those are aimed at teachers if you're doing this yourself you should get used to reading undergrad/grad level texts as they'll give you some good ideas.
Reply 6
I did Life and Times of Cicero and Odyssey when I did AS, and my teachers produced workbook things for it, I'll see if I can get a digital copy to send to you if you want? It was most of what I needed for AS revision, though of course some of the information in there we copied down ourselves as notes. The Cicero one was particularly helpful though.

I would highly recommend good old York Notes Advanced for the Odyssey! Also Rubicon (Tom Holland) and From the Gracchi to Nero (H.H Scullard) for Cicero, though only certain chapters... Plus of course your set texts - Cicero: Selected Works (and it always helps to read a little more, so How to Run a Country is a good modern selection of Cicero), plus The Odyssey itself.

Unfortunately we did completely different A2 topics, so I can't help you out there :/
If you're looking for digital resources, MASSOLIT (www.massolit.co.uk) has a *ton* of resources for Classical Civilization, designed for sixth form students taking the AS/A Level options. It has stuff on Cicero, Aristophanes, Greek Tragedy, with more coming soon on Homer. Check it out here: www.massolit.co.uk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending