The Student Room Group

Leaving university to do different A-levels.

Hi,
I was wondering what sort of light my application to university would be viewed in if I were to leave my course studying engineering at loughborough university to go and pick up an A level in art ( and also do my maths and physics again ) to apply to universities to read Architecture.

I know after doing maths and physics for esentially 3 years now on different levels I can definitely get at least A's in those subjects so I'd be hoping to go to universities offering A*AA offers.

I'd end up applying for Cambridge, Bath, UCL, Nottingham and also the Architecture Association in London. Which isn't a ucas university so they're not as important for me personally.

I was just wondering if I would have my application ignored due to the fact I will have done A levels twice, however I don't see it being a good idea to start a degree on architecture without first having at least one humanities and specifically design course done.

I know competition will be high but my skills as an artist are quite well developed and I know I will be able to create an impressive portfolio over two years easily. But I was wondering if I would get rejected due to doing a levels twice if it would be better for me to just change course to design. But my I'd really enjoy Architecture much more.

Any help and pointers will be appreciated thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Architecture is (at least at Manchester, and I presume that this is the case elsewhere) a very design based course, so some evidence of artistic ability will be required. However, this doesn't mean that A Level art (or similar) is necessary. You'll often need to provide a portfolio, but there really is no need to redo your A Levels.

If you do want to develop your artistic skills, you could consider an art foundation course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending