The Student Room Group

Keeping up a language over summer?

Hi!
I have just finished first year at the University of Edinburgh and going into second in september. I study French and Spanish, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips for keeping up language over the summer? I always drop right off with them, and I find that by the time I get back to work I've forgotten everything... the original plan was to go to spain and practice there but that fell through and I don't have much else of a clue?
Thanks guys!
Original post by obbets
Hi!
I have just finished first year at the University of Edinburgh and going into second in september. I study French and Spanish, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips for keeping up language over the summer? I always drop right off with them, and I find that by the time I get back to work I've forgotten everything... the original plan was to go to spain and practice there but that fell through and I don't have much else of a clue?
Thanks guys!

There's an app in the App Store called Duolingo, you can use that (but I don't know if it is University degree level) and you can always use Memrise and Quizlet to learn or revise vocabulary.
Watch telenovelas on Youtube, eg Muneca Brava or Yago. I found them highly addictive!
I'm going to be studying German (and History) at Edinburgh this September and I'm just trying to simply immerse myself as much as possible in native material over the summer seeing as I won't have the chance to travel to a German speaking country. So, for me that means watching random documentaries on Youtube, TV shows (eg Türkisch für Anfänger), listening to the radio/podcasts on Deutschlandfunk, and all sorts of things. I hope that helps. :tongue:
Reply 4
Start listening to French and Spanish music. It's a lot more similar to English music than people think and it means you're constantly refreshing your memory. I'm not familiar with any Spanish artists, but listen to BB Brunes. They're like the French version of the Kooks.
Also, watch some French movies! Les Intouchables and Amèlie are quite popular.
(edited 9 years ago)
Put your phone into French/Spanish, alternate between them,
Put your webpages into F/S

EVERYTHING FRENCH/SPANISH!!
Well I'm not necessarily having to carry it on, I've just finished Higher German and did not want to do AH. But I'm putting my German to good use as I was approached last week by a local textiles factory who asked me to do some translating for them (which I'm so pleased about) and have until August to finish - I have nearly completed it all, however I guess this is my way of keeping the German within me alive. Thus, I'd recommend doing some translating for either web companies, local/national companies :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I speak the language of truth lol But in the meantime yeah I wanna learn Portuguese, it's sexy. French is a hassle, Mandarin is a necessity. Or is Cantonese...? Oh I'm failing already lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending