The Student Room Group

Lots of Questions!

Hi,

I'm applying for university my second time round and I'm in a bit of a pickle, I went to university in London last year, studying Creative Writing - unfortunately had to quit three months in due to ill health (and I mean quit, not defer!).

Six months on and I'm a lot more physically and mentally stable to kickstart my university experience for the second time - however, I'm slightly confused! (I'll bullet point to make everything easier!)

Personal Statement Double-Up?

I'm hoping to apply again in time for entry in September, this time studying either Make-Up Artistry or Theatre Arts, everything is set to go but, I'm stuck on my personal statement: after reading through my previous one I've discovered that everything I said is still quite relevant, and there's not much else I can change (apart from my goals, intentions, ambitions etc seeing as I'm not applying for Creative Writing) I was wondering, could I just take my previous personal statement and just change the bits about Creative Writing and point it all towards Make-Up Artistry/Theatre Arts, and keep the rest - or do I have to write a completely new one?

I know sometimes UCAS can be slightly touchy on things like this, but I fear if I were to write a new one, it would come out shockingly similar to my previous one regardless!

Personal Statement: Two Subjects?!

This may sound like a silly question but one I'm sure many of you have grown accustomed to! With my personal statement last year, the courses I applied for were all Creative Writing, so it was fairly easy writing it as I only had to talk about one course - seeing as I'm applying for two different courses this time round, how do I get around this? Ideally I want to study Make-Up Artistry, however there are only two universities I am willing to attend that do 'a' Make-Up Artistry course of sorts, two universities of which are quite competitive to get into - for personal reasons it is imperative I go back to university this year, seeing as my chances of getting into either of those two choices are quite slim, I thought I'd take advantage of being able to apply for three more, but in a subject I am also equally as passionate about (and also, Make-Up Artistry and Theatre Arts can go hand in hand...) so I've applied for two Make-Up Artistry courses and three Theatre, in the hopes that should I not get an offer with Make-Up Artistry, I might at least have a better chance with Theatre. But how on earth do I combine that I have a passion for both, without leaving the other out?

I don't want the Make-Up Artistry people to wonder why I'm perhaps talking about studying Theatre, but I also don't want the Theatre people to wonder why I'm talking about Make-Up Artistry! This is something that has baffled me since the beginning, and I am struggling immensely!! Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Mature Student?

I am currently 21 (as of 28/04/93) would I now be classed a 'Mature Student'? Would I have to apply as a mature student, and how does this effect my application/university experience overall?

Student Finance?

I have also done a little bit of research into re-applying for Student Finance, there are certain qualms about being 21 with them also - does this mean they no longer assess based on your parents income, but your own?

Also, at the moment I am on ESA (declared unfit to work) this benefit will run out by the time I attend university (my medical certificate to declare me 'unfit' for employment, is due to run out end of August) however I will still be on this benefit when I do come round to applying for Student Finance - would I have to put down that at this moment in time I am on benefits, even though come August/university term I won't be? Or not put anything down at all?

I'm slightly worried because if I do put down that I'm on benefits at the time of application, that they'll judge my income based on that -possibly get less than what I would be entitled to loan/grant wise if I were to not be on the benefits- and not allow for the fact that I won't be on them come university term, therefore I will have no other source of income!

A sincere thanks to anyone who actually reads this, and is kind enough to advise me the best they can! I am currently at a loss and running out of time to get my application in, so I am honestly so grateful for any advice I receive!! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cjmichaels
Hi,

I'm applying for university my second time round and I'm in a bit of a pickle, I went to university in London last year, studying Creative Writing - unfortunately had to quit three months in due to ill health (and I mean quit, not defer!).

Six months on and I'm a lot more physically and mentally stable to kickstart my university experience for the second time - however, I'm slightly confused! (I'll bullet point to make everything easier!)

Personal Statement Double-Up?

I'm hoping to apply again in time for entry in September, this time studying either Make-Up Artistry or Theatre Arts, everything is set to go but, I'm stuck on my personal statement: after reading through my previous one I've discovered that everything I said is still quite relevant, and there's not much else I can change (apart from my goals, intentions, ambitions etc seeing as I'm not applying for Creative Writing) I was wondering, could I just take my previous personal statement and just change the bits about Creative Writing and point it all towards Make-Up Artistry/Theatre Arts, and keep the rest - or do I have to write a completely new one?

I know sometimes UCAS can be slightly touchy on things like this, but I fear if I were to write a new one, it would come out shockingly similar to my previous one regardless!

Personal Statement: Two Subjects?!

This may sound like a silly question but one I'm sure many of you have grown accustomed to! With my personal statement last year, the courses I applied for were all Creative Writing, so it was fairly easy writing it as I only had to talk about one course - seeing as I'm applying for two different courses this time round, how do I get around this? Ideally I want to study Make-Up Artistry, however there are only two universities I am willing to attend that do 'a' Make-Up Artistry course of sorts, two universities of which are quite competitive to get into - for personal reasons it is imperative I go back to university this year, seeing as my chances of getting into either of those two choices are quite slim, I thought I'd take advantage of being able to apply for three more, but in a subject I am also equally as passionate about (and also, Make-Up Artistry and Theatre Arts can go hand in hand...) so I've applied for two Make-Up Artistry courses and three Theatre, in the hopes that should I not get an offer with Make-Up Artistry, I might at least have a better chance with Theatre. But how on earth do I combine that I have a passion for both, without leaving the other out?

I don't want the Make-Up Artistry people to wonder why I'm perhaps talking about studying Theatre, but I also don't want the Theatre people to wonder why I'm talking about Make-Up Artistry! This is something that has baffled me since the beginning, and I am struggling immensely!! Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Mature Student?

I am currently 21 (as of 28/04/93) would I now be classed a 'Mature Student'? Would I have to apply as a mature student, and how does this effect my application/university experience overall?

Student Finance?

I have also done a little bit of research into re-applying for Student Finance, there are certain qualms about being 21 with them also - does this mean they no longer assess based on your parents income, but your own?

Also, at the moment I am on ESA (declared unfit to work) this benefit will run out by the time I attend university (my medical certificate to declare me 'unfit' for employment, is due to run out end of August) however I will still be on this benefit when I do come round to applying for Student Finance - would I have to put down that at this moment in time I am on benefits, even though come August/university term I won't be? Or not put anything down at all?

I'm slightly worried because if I do put down that I'm on benefits at the time of application, that they'll judge my income based on that -possibly get less than what I would be entitled to loan/grant wise if I were to not be on the benefits- and not allow for the fact that I won't be on them come university term, therefore I will have no other source of income!

A sincere thanks to anyone who actually reads this, and is kind enough to advise me the best they can! I am currently at a loss and running out of time to get my application in, so I am honestly so grateful for any advice I receive!! :biggrin:

Yes you can use the same frame of the personal statement, I did the same. However consider that it is difficult to write a personal statement for two different courses and if your able to do that is up to you I'm afraid. Most people just choose one course or apply for similar ones otherwise they could face rejection from all. As its so late in the day you will need to email universities to see if they have any places before you apply, and you need to get your application in asap as you'll go into clearing after the 30th June.

As far as student finance goes you have to be 25 to be considered independent in their eyes unless your married, have a child or have been working beforehand.
Reply 2
Some universities accept second personal statements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending