The Student Room Group

Journey to become an RAF officer

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by jannisjr
Feeling the pain. I just got the phone call that capita have processed my medical notes I had to send them. My medical was at the end of July.
God I hate capita.

To get the notes I required, I just spoke to the secretary in the surgery, requested they just photocopy all the relevant pages. I had to pay like £5, and they had them ready 3 days later. I sent them direct to capita.

ahh mine was not so simple, I tried to go down this route, but they needed consultant notes apparently, what a farce. Also I get white coat hypertension apparently - which means my BP goes high in a clinical environment, despite me feeling totally relaxed! I have a home BP kit where I get good recordings on, but need to get it witnessed and signed off by a GP, so having to wait for a "24 hour recording" to be done at home. Been waiting for 2 weeks for this already due to the surgery only having 1 kit.... enquired about doing it privately, but they wanted to charge £75 registration fee, £50 for an initial consultation, £75 for the use of equipment, then £50 for administration fee (1 signature on the print-out of my results!)
Reply 61

What branch are you going for by the way?
I had the 24hr ABPM as well. We've both got white coat hypertension. I just bit the bullet and paid up for the private tests. If id waited for the NHS I'd still be waiting for the monitor to become available. There was like a 3 month waiting list, and I didn't want my application thrown out.

The gp notes I spent about 3 weeks trying to explain what it was I needed from them. Once they finally understood, they realized it wasn't actually that big a deal and got on with it. It had all the consultant notes as well, because mine was about grommits I had and the subsequent operation to get one removed.

Going for pilot mate, like the rest of the world! Gotta try though, chasing the dream.
I had the 24hr ABPM as well. We've both got white coat hypertension. I just bit the bullet and paid up for the private tests. If id waited for the NHS I'd still be waiting for the monitor to become available. There was like a 3 month waiting list, and I didn't want my application thrown out.

The gp notes I spent about 3 weeks trying to explain what it was I needed from them. Once they finally understood, they realized it wasn't actually that big a deal and got on with it. It had all the consultant notes as well, because mine was about grommits I had and the subsequent operation to get one removed.

Going for pilot mate, like the rest of the world! Gotta try though, chasing the dream.

If never tried for a pilot you would spend the rest or your life think what chould of been

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Hey Folks, found this forum very useful, keep posting with updates :smile: does anybody know that when you are in IOT phase 1 can you get a day off to attend university graduation? thanks
Original post by Jacob W
Hey Folks, found this forum very useful, keep posting with updates :smile: does anybody know that when you are in IOT phase 1 can you get a day off to attend university graduation? thanks

Almost definitely not.

And, btw, there's no "IOT phase 1". IOT is phase 1 training for officers, no need to use both phrases.
Original post by Jacob W

Some of the current term ones were permitted days to attend graduations, although my friend who is on term two with me wasn't allowed to attend her sisters. It all depends what you have programmed for that day and whether it is a training objective. Don't expect it, but you can request it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by teasin_tina
Some of the current term ones were permitted days to attend graduations, although my friend who is on term two with me wasn't allowed to attend her sisters. It all depends what you have programmed for that day and whether it is a training objective. Don't expect it, but you can request it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Tina,
How did you get on with DE?
Original post by AlphaTango
Hi Tina,
How did you get on with DE?

Passed both my leads but am now suffering big time, just need to sleep all the time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Passed both my leads but am now suffering big time, just need to sleep all the time!

Well done on passing your leads Tina. Don't worry about the sleep. It's highly over-rated and there'll be plenty of time for that on your post IOT leave! Keep your chin up and make the final push to your goal which I'm sure you've worked hard for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done! Good luck with the rest of the term. That two week break will be bliss.
Thanks guys. Hopefully less than 14 weeks left now
Out of interest, side the way DE and progression to term 3 has changed, what happens to people who get delta'd? Is there still an AT trip to Wales for them?
Original post by Drewski
Out of interest, side the way DE and progression to term 3 has changed, what happens to people who get delta'd? Is there still an AT trip to Wales for them?

They do the R2 remedial package in the 2 weeks leave, which is a week of theory and two mini practise leadership days followed by 5 days doing a mini MILAID. Not too savvy what they do for the next ten weeks, they do MILAID with T2, do some things with T3 and are the sector commanders on DE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They do the R2 remedial package in the 2 weeks leave, which is a week of theory and two mini practise leadership days followed by 5 days doing a mini MILAID. Not too savvy what they do for the next ten weeks, they do MILAID with T2, do some things with T3 and are the sector commanders on DE

Yeah, but do they not get taken away from Cranwell to avoid seeing the graduation? I would imagine that since falling DE isn't an automatic fail of T2 that they wouldn't be needing that anymore.
Reply 75
Found this on another thread so thought I'd have a quick stab at is as its a SLOOOWWW day at work.

Priorities:

1)Casualty (ASAP)
2) Equipment at Middleton railway (11:45 deadline)
3)Commanding Officer (10:30 at Endtown / 11:15 at Middleton)

35 miles of fuel in van
52.5 miles in motorcycle

Starting 915:

Other driver task:
take casualty to hospital.
-Take in van 10 miles @ 30mph = 20 mins + 10 mins unloading. 0945 arrival. 25 miles of fuel remaining.

Collect freight by 1145, sooner the better.
Route: Morbury - Middleton (via Dog & Fox)
7 miles of "Country Road" 5.5 A road
Travel at 20mph on the Country roads to prevent too much bumping, 21 mins
5.5miles = 11 mins
Total time = 32 min. Arrive at 10:17. Fuel left 12.5 miles.

Route: Middleton - Ware. Via A road - (10 miles)
10 miles @ 30mph = 20 mins.
Freight delivered to Ware at 10:27. 1 hour 18 to spare, allows for extra time loading the casualty onto the van, unloading - traffic and slower pace over country road.
Fuel left 2.5miles.

My Task:
Although CO is not fond of motor cycles - due to priorities that is the only resource available.

2 options of:
Contact and inform CO that there is a shorter route available to him due to lack of fondness of the motorbike option!
- to arrive at Middleton on the train at 11:15. 10 miles (for him, 20 round trip) on A roads.
@40mph - I leave RAF Ware at 11:00, arrive at Middleton at 11:15, return to Ware for 11:30. Fuel used: 20 miles / 32.5 remaining

If unable to contact him, pick up from Endton at 10:30.
A road route = 25 miles @ 40mph = 37.5 mins
Leave as early as possible, (9:52 LATEST) - return via same route to Ware, arrive at roughly 10 past 11.
2.5miles of fuel remaining.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 76
If anyone can see any flaws / has any questions about the logic - feel free to rip my plan to shreds, only quickly piled it together.
In the RAF the Commanding Officer would always take precedence over everything !!!
Reply 78
Original post by Old_Simon
In the RAF the Commanding Officer would always take precedence over everything !!!

Point taken on board.

Find some rope, tie stretcher to back of motorbike - drag to hospital. Drive back to base.

Myself and other driver take van to the train station, I drive, he holds the door open for CO. Take back to station (driver remains at station, only 2 seats in this van).

Driver drags 100kg of freight back the 10 miles to base.
Original post by Opts
Point taken on board.

Find some rope, tie stretcher to back of motorbike - drag to hospital. Drive back to base.

Myself and other driver take van to the train station, I drive, he holds the door open for CO. Take back to station (driver remains at station, only 2 seats in this van).

Driver drags 100kg of freight back the 10 miles to base.

To be srs I read all the problem and your solution v thoroughly. It looks good to me and your thinking seems clear and logical. Well done.

Quick Reply

Latest