The Student Room Group

Stood Up (male)

I'm here to rant a little.

About a month ago I signed up to a free dating site because I'm quite busy with my profession and I'm not great at meeting girls. I've had no real luck until last week when a girl and I both 'liked' each other on it and got talking. We messaged for a few days back and forth and we seemed to get on pretty well and have plenty to say (though admittedly I'm not a great lover of this online messaging stuff, the purpose of a dating site should be to get to the date as quickly as possible then talk etc ) I asked on her a date after a few days - after all it is a DATING website. She said she'd love to and we arranged a time and place which was meant to be tonight.

I text her today to confirm - she said we were still on and she was looking forward to it.

I get ready, try and look nice, get a taxi in to town and wait nervously but quite excited to meet her in person. Ten minutes later I'm slightly worried but still I give her the benefit of the doubt. 20 minutes I'm thinking the worst - 25 I walked away. I wasn't going to stand there humiliated any longer. I text her and said 'running a little late?'

No text, no explanation, nothing.

Went to a mates flat instead and had a decent night then got a taxi home.

What annoys me is not so much that she stood me up but the fact that there is no communication. I mean I would expect such behaviour of a 17 year old perhaps but not someone in their 20s. I find it incredibly selfish of this girl to do this and had this been the other way round I'm sure I'd get a barrage of texts or calls to say what the hell. I have spent a fair bit on taxis tonight, I got cash out to pay for the date, I've made the effort to come into town and sure I was a little nervous and I expect she was as well but to not show up with no explanation is unacceptable.

The ultimate insult is that I logged in to the dating site before and she was online an hour after we were meant to meet.

I haven't text her or anything but I'm wondering whether to just let it go or send her a text, not an abusive text by any means but a text to let her know I think she behaved in a disgraceful and selfish manner. The idea that she should get off Scott free irritates me - I didn't do anything to deserve that.

I know I'm not the first or the last person to be stood up but as an adult society should we just accept such behaviour?
Maybe she was scared.
That does sound quite harsh tbf. If true that girl sounds lime a bit of a bitch

it's l fair and well that someone might be late or might not be able to come but at least text that person , or better, call that person that you can't come. Its not very fair that you had to get a taxi, go out of your way etc...

It just shows a lack of caring tbh
Oh wow are you a virgin OP? Welcome to the cruel world where women mistreat men. I'm surprised more men don't come out as gay. :lol:
That's incredibly unfair on you, she should have been straight with you from the very beginning.

Some women just go on there for the ego boost which isn't surprising seeing as how thirsty some guys are on these sites :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Bishes be cray. Keep on lookin', buddy.
Reply 6
Original post by Cloud nine.
Oh wow are you a virgin OP? Welcome to the cruel world where women mistreat men. I'm surprised more men don't come out as gay. :lol:

What does straight men being rejected have to do with gay men coming out? You posts honestly don't make any sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww that was harsh :console:

Even if she was scared she should've said something right..?
Reply 8
This sort of angst is typical of Internet dating. Friend calls with emergency to give a get out option is another one. You will not always be treated dismissively but it is quite common. It's an inherent risk in this type of dating where there is a bold step of meeting someone who you don't know and are uncertain about. Girls I think get particularly nervous and blase about the guys feelings. For me conventional methods are still difficult but much better.
Reply 9
Original post by Arieisit
What does straight men being rejected have to do with gay men coming out? You posts honestly don't make any sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They do make sense his surprised most men are still straight:redface:
Original post by Anonymous

About a month ago I signed up to a free dating site because I'm quite busy with my profession and I'm not great at meeting girls. I've had no real luck until last week when a girl and I both 'liked' each other on it and got talking. We messaged for a few days back and forth and we seemed to get on pretty well and have plenty to say (though admittedly I'm not a great lover of this online messaging stuff, the purpose of a dating site should be to get to the date as quickly as possible then talk etc ) I asked on her a date after a few days - after all it is a DATING website. She said she'd love to and we arranged a time and place which was meant to be tonight.

I text her today to confirm - she said we were still on and she was looking forward to it.

I get ready, try and look nice, get a taxi in to town and wait nervously but quite excited to meet her in person. Ten minutes later I'm slightly worried but still I give her the benefit of the doubt. 20 minutes I'm thinking the worst - 25 I walked away. I wasn't going to stand there humiliated any longer. I text her and said 'running a little late?'

What annoys me is not so much that she stood me up but the fact that there is no communication. I mean I would expect such behaviour of a 17 year old perhaps but not someone in their 20s. I find it incredibly selfish of this girl to do this and had this been the other way round I'm sure I'd get a barrage of texts or calls to say what the hell. I have spent a fair bit on taxis tonight, I got cash out to pay for the date, I've made the effort to come into town and sure I was a little nervous and I expect she was as well but to not show up with no explanation is unacceptable.

The ultimate insult is that I logged in to the dating site before and she was online an hour after we were meant to meet.

I haven't text her or anything but I'm wondering whether to just let it go or send her a text, not an abusive text by any means but a text to let her know I think she behaved in a disgraceful and selfish manner. The idea that she should get off Scott free irritates me - I didn't do anything to deserve that.

I know I'm not the first or the last person to be stood up but as an adult society should we just accept such behaviour?

Of course you should send her the text, I doubt she's expecting anything less. You can't let the whole night go by with her thinking she wriggled out of it while you're left humiliated (no offense). Even an abusive text wouldn't go uncalled for, but each to their own style.. time and a taxi fare are pricey for someone who's essentially a stranger.
Reply 11
Women...
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous

The secret to a happy life is good health and a bad memory, let it go bro, throwing your pain in her face won't make you feel better, it'll just make her feel worse.
Have you ever actually spoken to her on the phone, OP?
Reply 14
Why bother sending her a text? She's a prick, she won't care.
Reply 15
Do not message her again, if she doesn't have the decency to explain why she didn't turn up then she's obviously not right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Dont message her again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending