The Student Room Group

HELP i need advice

I've just done 3 AS courses in Biology, Psychology and Environmental Studies. I'm planning on going to Salford Uni to do Wildlife Conservation and Zoo Biology and I need 240 ucas points to get in.

However, I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally DO NOT want to stay at sixth form next year!!! But I also dont want to go to college and start uni a year later than all my friends. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do next year that can still get me considered for Salford?
Reply 1
Original post by er6209
I've just done 3 AS courses in Biology, Psychology and Environmental Studies. I'm planning on going to Salford Uni to do Wildlife Conservation and Zoo Biology and I need 240 ucas points to get in.

However, I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally DO NOT want to stay at sixth form next year!!! But I also dont want to go to college and start uni a year later than all my friends. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do next year that can still get me considered for Salford?

Why do you not want to stay at sixth form? The only way Salford Uni are going to accept you is if you have your A-levels because you will need the A2's to make it up to 240 ucas points
Reply 2
Original post by 06shawm
Why do you not want to stay at sixth form? The only way Salford Uni are going to accept you is if you have your A-levels because you will need the A2's to make it up to 240 ucas points

I just hate it. I've been at the school since year 7 and after 6 years I'm bored of the same place every day. Doesnt help that my friends are all leaving this year, getting apprenticeships etc. so I'd be completely on my own for a year.
I dont think there's any chance they would take you without a levels to be honest, so you'd have to just stick with it for another year and remember that it will lead to what you want in the long term
Is there a different college/sixth form you could transfer to where you have friends?
If not, as much as it might be a bit lonely to start with, but you'd make new friends through your a2 classes, and if your friends aren't around then you might concentrate on lessons more so it might be beneficial academically if that makes any sense
Reply 4
Original post by er6209
I just hate it. I've been at the school since year 7 and after 6 years I'm bored of the same place every day. Doesnt help that my friends are all leaving this year, getting apprenticeships etc. so I'd be completely on my own for a year.

Just remember that you haven't got too long to go and if you can stick it out until the end of exams next year you will be free, it just seems a waste if you were to leave now since you are quite heavily involved in your A-levels! I understand it must be difficult to see your friends finishing and your still left behind but A-levels are really good qualifications to have and obviously open the door to university. Maybe speak to your teachers/career advisors to explain how you feel if you genuinely feel like you don't want to be here anymore?
Original post by er6209

Apply for salford uni foundation course - environmental studies - same faculty and link in course - its also more relevant to the undergrad course and more specific than a levels...

http://www.salford.ac.uk/ug-courses/environmental-studies-foundation-year#tab_fees_a655
Reply 6
Original post by er6209

email the uni inquiring if they have any foundation course relevant to the degree you want to get in.
Better do- Biology Foundation Year offered by Salford Uni which will help you progress into uni:yep:
See- http://www.salford.ac.uk/ug-courses/biology-foundation-year

It might be helpful. Lemme know how it works.

Quick Reply

Latest