Who should be the next Secretary General of the Model UN

6+6=630%
Apollo45%
Knogle10%
Nefarious5%
Nutter10%
Abstain0%
Total votes: 20
Same rules as before - No announcing your vote to anyone who is member of the Model UN usergroup. Rules for the election can be found as Addendum 8 in the MUN Charter.

6's
6+6=6

I have been around since the beginning of MUN II and have seen two great SG’s do excellent jobs at maintaining the MUN; hence I was surprised to see this vacancy come up so soon. I am not going to bore you with why I am an excellent choice for this position, despite the high number of nominees. Instead, see below for a mini-manifesto on how I would change the MUN if elected SG.

Introduction of new sub forum dedicated to draft resolutions being addressed by the GA, leaving the main board for administration and general threads.

Nightowl has done a great job in maintaining high levels of membership (whilst things like the HoC have recently stumbled) through methods like the roll call. I will this on and at the same time launch an active campaign throughout TSR to gain more reps, things like gemgems89’s new user bar would be a part of this campaign.

Following on from increasing membership, I believe that an integral part to this will be helping new members get used to the way the MUN works very quickly. As a result I plan to create a new thread in the MUN, building upon the MUNIII thread and including an MUN FAQ as well as a few voluntarily appointed experienced members to help out the newer ones with any questions they might have to be addressed in this thread.

Finally, I see impartiality and dedication as key markers of a good SG. I do possess personal convictions and beliefs, however I promise to put all these aside as SG and act completely independently. Dedication may be a sticking point for a few of you. I have had qualms with a few moderators in the past but I like to think that I am beyond that now and that I would put my responsibility to the MUN above the rest of TSR.

One last thing, feel free to ask me any questions and to interrogate me as much as you want to show you that I am the best candidate for the job.

Apollo's
Apollo

I’ve decided to put myself forward as a candidate for SG. I’ve been a part of all 3 “sessions” of the MUN, representing Denmark twice and China once.
I think I would be a good choice for SG because I have over a years worth of experience modding TSR and participating in the MUN. I know how to handle any situation that may arise and have already been involved in putting a stop to several poll rigging attempts.
As SG I would introduce many reforms, several of which I will detail:
1. Every 2 weeks there will either by a hypothetical or historical scenario. I will come up with 2-3 possibilities, and GA will vote on which one they want to do. Reps can also put forward suggestions.
2. I will bring more members into the MUN by requesting that all SC members (/ any other rep who wishes) have links to the MUN in their sig.
3. A clearer definition of inactive will be agreed upon.
4. Stand ins. If a member knows they are going to be away for any length of time, a nation may appoint a stand in (another rep) who will represent the departing reps’s nation.
5. I would create an “Important news/headlines thread”, will I will update daily with important news from around the world.
6. I will compile a list of news sites for each country to help stamp out the “nothing important happens in my country” attitude.
7. Round table discussions will be held where any issues, problems or reforms can be discussed by the GA. Any nation may call such a meeting to order.
8. MUN wiki will be greatly added onto.
9. Finally, I would ensure that real life events are portrayed at the same time in MUN- for example if the G8 summit occurs in real life, we will hold our own G8 summit.
In my time as a mod I think I’ve demonstrated the ability to make decisions and get things done. I’d love to put those abilities to work again to help the MUN grow and prosper.

Knogle's

Knogle

Alright folks, surprise surprise, I'm running for this election. :smile: Let me just tell you a bit about myself. I joined this MUN pretty early in the beginning when IIRC deej2 was still the SG. Ever since then, I have been extremely active in representing various countries of diverse beliefs and values - from Singapore to ASEAN to the UK. Each step of the way has taught me many lessons and given me many perspectives on global issues. I have never been afraid of learning, reading, and investigating - as I'm sure you can tell by my eager desire to learn about the Cuban Missile Crisis and the political system in the UK despite being located half a world away. I have learnt plenty during my term in the MUN, and I believe that it's time to return something back to the community. I don't proclaim to have behaved the most professionally or objectively, but I can confidently say that I have tried and delivered many times. I have had my pitfalls, but I assure you that I have committed to improving myself and working on my flaws. I have many fresh new ideas for the MUN which I hope will breathe life into this already excellent organisation. Some of these ideas include the regular geographical rotation of topics to ensure regions are not left out, weekly historical crisis discussions, etc. I assure you that I will be able to positively lead the MUN forward , improving the already outstanding work of the previous Secretary-Generals. I hope that you will give me, as a long-contributing member in excellent standing with the UNGA/SC, this opportunity to take over the reins and direct the MUN ahead with gusto and pride. :smile:
VOTE FOR KNOGLE TODAY!!

Nefarious'

Nefarious

IMO the MUN’s success is due both to the impersonal debate coupled with the strong sense of community. I would accordingly strictly moderate, insults, ad hominem arguments and inappropriate straying out of character. I would have an absolutely zero tolerance policy to any form of electoral fraud, whilst I was SG nobody suspended on these grounds would be readmitted under any circumstances. As long as it was kept in the appropriate place I would encourage friendly banter and strongly endorse the off topic thread.
I would try to make clearer the role of the Secretary General in the MUN as the job is not a direct parallel to real life. As I see it in the MUN the role of the SG is to facilitate the operation of the MUN for the benefit of all the members. Bearing in mind that the SG is still a member I would propose that when it comes to votes concerning elections and MUN administration the SG would have one vote just like everyone else as opposed fluctuating between having a casting vote or no vote at all apparently at random . I would also endorse the creation of a permanent deputy SG role, albeit without mini mod powers. This person would manage the forum during the SG’s absence but would also have a role to play in the event of the SG proving substandard (e.g. getting banned or otherwise becoming inactive), overseeing votes of no confidence and liaising with admin as necessary.
I would do all in my power to keep the MUN dynamic and active, removing inactive members whilst at the same time trying to increase the number of new applicants.
Apart from that there is little to say except if elected I will give it my best.

Nutter's

Nutter

I, Nutter, hereby express my intention to run for the position of Secretary-General.
The UN Charter describes the position of the UNSG as the "chief administrative officer", and this is precisely where I think my strengths, among other places, lie. I consider myself as a proficient technocrat who is capable of commanding the respect and attention needed to facilitate a mission and achieve and objective, and I do therefore believe that I am well-placed for appointment into this position. Nevertheless, I consider my role to transcend administrative boundaries and stretch into diplomatic boundaries, where I will serve as a leader, activist and mediator, in the spirit of the UN Charter.
Going beyond that, I am determined to lead the UN reform process. I feel that even our off-real Model UN has much room for further development, and while I may not have all the ideas and creative juices needed, I do have the determination, drive, vision and skill required to implement the reform process till its finishing point, and see the UN through its transition during these times of uncertainty. The UN is an institution that has been much criticsed since its inception, but I firmly believe that it has untapped potential and serves as a cohesive lynchpin of the world today - its work often goes unnoticed or taken for granted. Attention is not what I seek for the UN though - while we would appreciate additional support (both monetary and otherwise) from member countries, I want the UN to continue to remain altruistic and selfless in our work, for the greater good of mankind.
In closure, I wish to thank the outgoing SG for his tremendous work and inspirational leadership during his term. His shoes will be hard to fill, but I shall persevere if I am given the opportunity. Colleagues, I urge you to vote not for the totally bland or uncontroversial candidate, but for the one who would be willing to air his views, make a difference, and in so doing, fulfil the mission of the UN.
Nutter
UN Permanent Representative of the
Commonwealth of Australia

If you encounter any attempt to "buy" your vote either with sub or rep, Please report it to me/mods so it can be properly be dealt with as it is against both the MUN Charter and TSR Rules.

----

To admin - if you could make this poll so results are hidden and move it to the Model UN forum it would be great :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Remove the tag :hmmm:
I'm still stuck between two people :s:
Should we have a link to the questions thread in here?
Reply 2
Ohh here we go!
Reply 3
brimstone
Remove the tag :hmmm:
I'm still stuck between two people :s:
Should we have a link to the questions thread in here?

Yep - exactly what I was looking for. :smile:

Best of luck to all the candidates! :smile:
Reply 4
Aargh this is hard.
Are self votes allowed? :s:
Reply 5
good luck to all candidates :smile:
Reply 6
Yes self votes are allowed, does anyone have objections to me voting?
Reply 7
Nah, go for it.
Reply 8
what happened to you not voting? :p:
Reply 9
Vote bitch! :p:

*is not abusing admin* :wink:
Reply 10
Oh please, I have no need to keep integrity anymore :smile:
Reply 11
Sigh, *votes* :smile:
Nightowl
Yes self votes are allowed, does anyone have objections to me voting?

I would encourage it.

*votes*

Good luck to all the candidates. :smile:
Reply 13
Looks like there may be another stretch of inactivity while this is being resolved :p:
Reply 14
May the best candidate win.
Reply 15
Not to worry, there was last time :smile:
Reply 16
How many reps are we expecting to vote, Nightowl?
Reply 17
I'm sending a PM to everyone when I get back today :smile:
Reply 18
I love the way everyone makes lots of threads and worthwhile posts before the candidates are announced, but stop right after! :p:
Reply 19
TBH I did propose that discussion be frozen during the period of the elections... after all, even in parliamentary elections in the real world, parliament is always dissolved before the elections, and limited decision making is left to the active government. Otherwise, people will not be willing to freely express their views for fear of being implicated.

Latest

Trending

Trending