The Student Room Group

Oxford Applicants 2016 Entry & Interview chat

The Cambridge one is up already . . . ! And here is the general 2016 thread for applying to university http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3371681

Fill in the form below to be added to the stalking page. Contact Eux to make any changes.

Form-
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1BoozasmAXM1YiDKqzyJJM9GmsPaEyl4NqDLExFcoGIY/viewform?usp=send_form

Stalking page-
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10VudSVlk7HQD5ujZo6ZPL6pWQCahoPUFS9HwEtW5ARI/edit?usp=sharing

Copy and paste this and fill it in below!

GCSE grades:
A-Levels:
Course:
College:

Mine is:

GCSE grades: -
A-Levels: -
Course: Oriental Studies
College: The Queen's College

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Edminzodo
The Cambridge one is up already . . . !

That's no excuse! :facepalm:
I find it interesting that the number of neurotics applying (or planning) to Cambrdige, who make such threads, is far greater than the number for Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Probably because they all know that they want to be doctors or do STEM subjects . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is utter nonsense.
Original post by William Turtle
That is utter nonsense.

I was joking. :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good jokes have a basis in fact, and have a habit of actually making sense.
Good jokes have a basis in fact, and have a habit of actually making sense.

I'm sorry . . . :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Predicted GCSE grades: 11A* (i did german early as a native speaker)
A-Levels: IB history, philosphy and english or physics
Course: history!
College: no clue
Did post but don't want to jinx anything so...
I find it interesting that the number of neurotics applying (or planning) to Cambrdige, who make such threads, is far greater than the number for Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile

why are you calling them neurotics? Theyre only HOPING to get in and have a right to do so. If they want to discuss it, let them!

This thread is so dead compared to the Cambridge one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WriterOfWrongs

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know. And I might end up applying to Cambridge, anyway! :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know. And I might end up applying to Cambridge, anyway! :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No! :eek:
Original post by fluteflute
No! :eek:

I'M SO CONFUSED. I fell in love with Oxford when I went there, but I can't go to the college I want to because of the subject I am doing, plus I don't think I will do brilliantly in my GCSEs but I think I will be fine at A-Level . . . I know I have a year to think about it but I really can't decide! As I'm applying for an obscure-ish subject, I feel like I have a decent chance at either but Oxford looks more at GCSE results . . . Can you give me some advice, please? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WriterOfWrongs

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is a little :mmm:
Original post by Mr...
I'll just wait for the 2018 thread :tongue:

That's what I said! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'M SO CONFUSED. I fell in love with Oxford when I went there, but I can't go to the college I want to because of the subject I am doing, plus I don't think I will do brilliantly in my GCSEs but I think I will be fine at A-Level . . . I know I have a year to think about it but I really can't decide! As I'm applying for an obscure-ish subject (Japanese), I feel like I have a decent chance at either but Oxford looks more at GCSE results . . . Can you give me some advice, please? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is so misleading!!!! I "only" achieved 2A*'s and 6A's at GCSE and yet have a place to study at Oxford in October. There is NO USE applying to a university based upon rumours which suggest that they look more closely at GCSEs... bear in mind that Oxford have the benefit of additional admissions tests so they look at much more than your GCSEs which are surpassed in the main by your A-Level results / predictions. Sorry for my tone but I really wouldn't limit yourself because of what you have heard! Goodluck!
(edited 9 years ago)
I'M SO CONFUSED. I fell in love with Oxford when I went there, but I can't go to the college I want to because of the subject I am doing, plus I don't think I will do brilliantly in my GCSEs but I think I will be fine at A-Level . . . I know I have a year to think about it but I really can't decide! As I'm applying for an obscure-ish subject (Japanese), I feel like I have a decent chance at either but Oxford looks more at GCSE results . . . Can you give me some advice, please? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have to agree with colourtheory, the "Oxford looks lots at GCSE results" is a myth. There are a few cases where GCSEs are important, for very popular courses (particularly for Medicine). But Oriental Studies interviews 86% of candidates, in other words they interview practically everyone who makes a serious application. (I suspect many of the 14% they don't interview are people who have done badly on the aptitude test, for the courses that have an aptitude test, which Japanese currently doesn't.)

The key thing for you is to work out which universities have the courses best suited to you. The college thing is a bit sad, but it's not the end of the world - remember that 25% of Oxbridge students are at a college they didn't initially apply to (and near enough all love their college).
Original post by Mr...
Where?

On the Cambridge thread, I'm one of the first posts there if you look. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by fluteflute
I have to agree with colourtheory, the "Oxford looks lots at GCSE results" is a myth. There are a few cases where GCSEs are important, for very popular courses (particularly for Medicine). But Oriental Studies interviews 86% of candidates, in other words they interview practically everyone who makes a serious application. (I suspect many of the 14% they don't interview are people who have done badly on the aptitude test, for the courses that have an aptitude test, which Japanese currently doesn't.)

The key thing for you is to work out which universities have the courses best suited to you. The college thing is a bit sad, but it's not the end of the world - remember that 25% of Oxbridge students are at a college they didn't initially apply to (and near enough all love their college).

GCSEs are accurate evidence of academic achievement. The problem is that everybody's situation is slightly different - school attended, home environment, illnesses, etc - so they are not necessarily a foolproof measure of academic ability. In most cases the results need to be "interpreted".

Both Oxford and Cambridge run interviews. There is a reason for that. Both Oxford and Cambridge also run extra (but different) tests.

Astro has pointed out that it it is a myth that Cambridge does not look at GCSEs. Nulli tertius has pointed out that it is a competition and the sheer numbers of bright people will make it a lottery.

They look at as many as they have time for - about 3 interviewees per place. That's the first hurdle. If you don't make that one there is a problem with your application - they didn't notice you.

It has also been said many times that the colleges are more similar than they are different. It would be far better for you to investigate the tutors, because they are the ones who will really make a difference in a tutorial system. Not sure if they have a league table ...

I also wonder, Edminzodo, if it's a bit early to have set your heart on Oxbridge before your GCSE results are in. My son has results due in August and anything related to GCSEs is off-limits for discussion.

Latest