The Student Room Group

John Lewis Retail Apprenticeship

Hi!

I applied a while ago for a "Retail Apprenticeship" at John Lewis (Newcastle branch). I had an e-mail recently to let me know that I had been shortlisted for an assessment day on June 16th.

From reading some threads about regular 'Selling Assistant' assessment days I have gathered that there are normally a fair amount of people attending, however I'm not sure what to expect at the assessment day given that this is an apprenticeship and not a normal job.

John Lewis have only run the Retail Apprenticeship for a few years so there is not a lot of information available. I have tried searching the Internet and these forums but haven't come across much. I am hoping that everyone who has applied can pool their knowledge about the apprenticeship here for everyone's benefit.

So far I only know that you have to answer a few essay-like questions online, complete a personality test and also a 'situational judgement' test. The next stage is the assessment day, which I have been invited to.

Does anyone who got onto the apprenticeship in previous years, or anyone who is further along in the process this year, have any more useful information to share about the recruitment process or about the apprenticeship in general?

Thanks!

Joseph. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just going to give this a little nudge as it's been a couple of days :smile:
Reply 2
Going to give this a little nudge as it's been lost among older threads and my assessment day is next Wednesday!! :eek:
I have a interview for an apprenticeship there too! But it's in the Cardiff branch ☺️What level did you apply for?!
Reply 4
Original post by Mollystanbury
I have a interview for an apprenticeship there too! But it's in the Cardiff branch ☺️What level did you apply for?!

Well, I wanted to do the advanced apprenticeship but by the time I got to apply it was closed, I've spoken to the store and they said they might be able to get me on the advanced course, otherwise I don't really mind doing the lower one as long as I can move on to the advanced one next year!

I was reading some other threads on here about the assessment day and it sounds a pretty hard, but surely it must be easier for apprentices? I hope!! When is your interview day?
I'm not too sure what to expect either haha! I've been reading online and think it's a group interview then an individual interview, but that's about all I have figured out :P! Mine is on Monday for 2hrs! Good luck for yours!☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Meant to type Wednesday!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Mollystanbury
I'm not too sure what to expect either haha! I've been reading online and think it's a group interview then an individual interview, but that's about all I have figured out :P! Mine is on Monday for 2hrs! Good luck for yours!☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! I was hoping to find people on here who'd applied last year but looks like it's all going to be a surprise!

Best of luck for yours, too! :smile:
Reply 8
Just going to bump this one last time as a final appeal to find TSR members who have been through the John Lewis Retail Apprenticeship recruitment process.

Judging by Molly's post, I'm assuming quite a few stores are holding their assessment days for Retail Apprentices tomorrow so I wish anyone reading this the best of luck - do post back if you are successful! :smile:
Hey guys,
I have also been looking for info about the John Lewis Retail apprentice assessment but found very little info about it.
I had a look at what others have said about what could be expected in the assessment but I wonder if anyone had any specific, up to date info on what happens in the process for apprentices. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I had my interview last week and it lasted for two hours ☺️ There was a quick power point explaining about the company, then you went with a team leader for an individual interview. They had a booklet and had to ask set questions, things like if you had any experience when you have been involved in organising a team of people and then examples of how you got them involved☺️ Then for a hour we had a group interview where we had 4 profiles of different customers and 5 home ware products and which would be suited to each customer, how to sell it and where would you position it in store. Such as, we gave the fondue set to the stay at home dad as he liked cooking, gadgets and it would entertain the kids☺️! Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks so much Molly for the info! I have my interview tomorrow and actually I feel less anxious now after hearing about your experience :-)
Glad I could help!☺️ which store have you applied for ?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,
Thanks for the info Molly! I've got an interview with Chichester on Tuesday and I'm really excited but also slightly worried as I've got no idea what I will be doing so you've set my mind at ease somewhat :smile: hope everyone's interviews have gone well and that you are all successful :biggrin: x
Hello All, Anyone heard anything yet about the John Lewis jobs? Both my daughters applied for the Level 3 Apprenticeships and got to the assessment stage but still waiting to hear.... not sure if they email or telephone.... be interested in your comments
Hiya, I had my interview today and was told it would be two weeks before we find out and we would find out by email :smile: hope that helps.
Good luck to you all! Have a look through these reviews of various school leaver programmes and apprenticeships to get a better understanding of apprenticeship programmes. Who knows the scheme better than it's apprentices hey? It'll give you a hugely valuable insight and employers may ask whether you've read them.

Good luck!!!
Reply 17
Hi i have my assessment for the apprenticeship next week. Any useful information i can help prepare would be great!!
Thanks xxx
Reply 18
Hi everyone, it's me, the OP.

Just wanted to check in again (sorry for neglecting the thread for a while!) to say that I was successful in my application to Newcastle and have been placed on the Technology department, Audio section.

FYI, my assessment day was almost identical to how Molly described - a one-to-one interview and a group activity which consisted of matching customer profiles to product descriptions using your team-working skills and justifying your choices.

We also had to do an individual sales pitch to the 4 assessors (think Dragon's Den).

Best of luck to you all!

Joseph.
Reply 19
Hello !
I am very interested in the level 3 John Lewis retail apprenticeship scheme, but I am a bit confused as to the way you apply for it. How does it work exacly ?
I would be very happy if someone could help me,
Thanks,
Cécile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending