The Student Room Group

BTEC Extended Diploma in music

So I'm gonna apply for a music BTEC next year and I'd like to hear some opinions about it from people who have studied/are studying it. I am more interested in music performance than music technology but I really don't care which one you are doing/have done. Every little piece of info matters, so if you have some experience of the music BTEC extended, please tell it to me.
I have heard from a lot of people that technology is more oriented on recording techniques and studio techniques, if this helps at all.

I haven't done the Music BTEC - but I am planning on studying a Music Tech course at University in September, so from my understanding a BTEC in Music is not required if you wish to study the subject at university. A lot of my friends said they found the BTEC Music Tech quite mundane, but I don't know anyone who studied performance.
Reply 2
It seems like the tech course is more popular than it's performance counterpart, or maybe people who study performance are too busy to write about it on the net. I think I will go with the performance thing cause studio thingies are not my greatest interest. I would still like to hear something from someone about anything related to music BTECs.
Original post by izzeeh
So I'm gonna apply for a music BTEC next year and I'd like to hear some opinions about it from people who have studied/are studying it. I am more interested in music performance than music technology but I really don't care which one you are doing/have done. Every little piece of info matters, so if you have some experience of the music BTEC extended, please tell it to me.

Just finished my Music Technology BTEC a couple of weeks ago. What would you like to know? :smile:
Reply 4
Anything goes. Was it hard to get to the course? Was the course rating very strict? Did you find the teaching interesting? And, last but not least, what college did you study in?
Original post by izzeeh
Anything goes. Was it hard to get to the course? Was the course rating very strict? Did you find the teaching interesting? And, last but not least, what college did you study in?

Wasn't too hard. They asked for a previous music qualification or experience in music alongside at least 5 A-C GCSEs I believe. A few people on my course had very minimal music experience and they got on to the course just fine. I would say, however, that this course in particular (not too sure about the Performance course) is becoming very very popular. We had 16 people in my class, the year below has 40.

By course rating I'm guessing you mean how the work is marked? I would definitely say it all depends on the type of tutors you get. Some are very relaxed and others will follow the grading scheme to the absolute max. Overall I would say they were laid-back and they try and get you the highest possible grade with the work that you give them.

The teachers were okay. The first years teaching was very interesting but it definitely got boring throughout the year. Year 2 was terrible, although there are various reasons why that were only specific to our class.

And I went to LeSoCo in London. Try and avoid it if possible.
Reply 6
Thank you :smile:

Is anyone here doing the Music Performance BTEC outside of London? Everything seems to be so expensive in London that I'll be going somewhere cheaper. Like Leeds or Birmingham.
Original post by izzeeh

Is anyone here doing the Music Performance BTEC outside of London? Everything seems to be so expensive in London that I'll be going somewhere cheaper. Like Leeds or Birmingham.

You have a choice for college? Most students just go to their local college for the course. Are you confusing college with university?
Reply 8
Original post by mynameisntdoug
You have a choice for college? Most students just go to their local college for the course. Are you confusing college with university?

I've got a choice :smile:
Reply 9
I hope you didn't enrol in this abomination course. I did it for a year and i realised what a ****ing disabled **** i was. The course is piss easy and its actually just an attendance game. Are you a chav/ghetto? If not then its advisable to steer away because these chavs/hood guys can make the course very uneasy. the reason why i got kicked out was because my anxiety couldn't tolerate the chavs/ghetto people. I was ****ing scared of them.

Do another course but just avoid arts subjects - its full of evil people
Reply 10
Original post by O.Ozz
I hope you didn't enrol in this abomination course. I did it for a year and i realised what a ****ing disabled **** i was. The course is piss easy and its actually just an attendance game. Are you a chav/ghetto? If not then its advisable to steer away because these chavs/hood guys can make the course very uneasy. the reason why i got kicked out was because my anxiety couldn't tolerate the chavs/ghetto people. I was ****ing scared of them.

Do another course but just avoid arts subjects - its full of evil people

In which college did you do the course?
I had a lot of fun in it, however I had a minimal and quite intimate class (less than ten people over the two years) and we all got on with each other. You don't neeeed huge amounts of musical experience, however for the practical units (if you class chooses them) you will need to do something. I managed to get a distinction star in music performance btec, and it was my 5th Subject over my A-level career, i'd recommend it if you are thinking about doing anything musical, or if you have a massive passion for music, otherwise it might just feel like a burden
Reply 12
Original post by PinkFreud23
I had a lot of fun in it, however I had a minimal and quite intimate class (less than ten people over the two years) and we all got on with each other. You don't neeeed huge amounts of musical experience, however for the practical units (if you class chooses them) you will need to do something. I managed to get a distinction star in music performance btec, and it was my 5th Subject over my A-level career, i'd recommend it if you are thinking about doing anything musical, or if you have a massive passion for music, otherwise it might just feel like a burden

Well if everything goes OK and I don't die before college I'll probably do something very musical for the rest of my life. And I do feel an absolutely massive passion towards music. So I guess it wouldn't feel too bad. What college were you in and how experienced where you at the beginning of the course?
Original post by izzeeh
Well if everything goes OK and I don't die before college I'll probably do something very musical for the rest of my life. And I do feel an absolutely massive passion towards music. So I guess it wouldn't feel too bad. What college were you in and how experienced where you at the beginning of the course?

I was in a sixth form center in Surrey, probably nothing like a London college, but I had grade 8 Piano and Bass guitar going into the course. But it's not entirely about the playing if we're talking about the same course, it's about the entire music industry and you can learn a load of things about performance and getting into the industry through this course
Reply 14
Original post by PinkFreud23
I was in a sixth form center in Surrey, probably nothing like a London college, but I had grade 8 Piano and Bass guitar going into the course. But it's not entirely about the playing if we're talking about the same course, it's about the entire music industry and you can learn a load of things about performance and getting into the industry through this course

Reply 15
Original post by izzeeh
In which college did you do the course?

I did it in south thames college in Wandsworth. In general BTECs will always include horrible people. If you have a strong personality then do the course but always be aware that not even the teachers would give a ****.
Reply 16
Does anyone have opinions on what's the best place in England in which to study music after CGSEs? I'm looking for people with positive experiences now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending