The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It's not easy to get into Oxbridge whatever course.
Reply 2
Some firms seem to like the "broader" person you become by doing a different degree......also it makes the LPC much easier as you will have just studied all the relevant law the year before, rather than spread over the previous 3 years :biggrin:
Honestly I don't think it matters much as long as your CV is strong with extra curricular stuff and vac schemes. Doing a different degree does however give you an extra year to think about firms to apply to etc as you apply during your 3rd rather than 2nd year. That's if you need it though- you seem much more sorted than I ever was (or can hope to be! :smile:)
Reply 3
I think that if you know you want to practice law then you should just crack on with a Law degree rather than fannying around doing something that you'll 'enjoy' for 3 or 4 years, to be quite honest.

Oxbridge might statistically appear easier to get into [something like a 4:1 average] than some other courses at other universities but in reality it's more competitive because the quality of a lot of the applicants will be very high.
Aesop
Hey, I was just wondering....

If you wanted to work in top law firms would it be better to:

A: Go to Kings College London and do a normal Law Degree followed by all the other stuff etc, or;

B: Go to Oxford or Cambridge and do a course which is relevant in terms of skills aquired, like philosophy and which is also far easier to get into (less competitive). After this, go on and do the CPE and convert, go off to work in law blah blah blah..

What do you reckon the best option would be?

If you are sure that you want to pursue a legal career, as I think you are, then you should definitely go for the Law degree route. The conversion course is really made for people that find out that they want to pursue a legal career after they have already completed a non-law undergraduate degree, though of course it is open to fair exploitation.

Also wouldn't you want to be sure that you couldn't have studied Law at an Oxbridge university rather than have to do it over one year at an alternative instiution.

In short, if you are interested in Law and think you can be good at it and are certain as you can be that you want to practice Law, then take the Law degree route.
Reply 5
Aesop
Hey, I was just wondering....

If you wanted to work in top law firms would it be better to:

A: Go to Kings College London and do a normal Law Degree followed by all the other stuff etc, or;

B: Go to Oxford or Cambridge and do a course which is relevant in terms of skills aquired, like philosophy and which is also far easier to get into (less competitive). After this, go on and do the CPE and convert, go off to work in law blah blah blah..

What do you reckon the best option would be?

*splutters* You do know that Philosophy at Cambridge is one of the most competitive statistically to get into, by virtue of the fact that Oxford doesn't do a straight BA in Philosophy? The applicant ratio is 6:1, as opposed to the average of 3:1. At my college I fought off 11 other applicants for the sole place available. On top of which, the popularity of the course is increasing and Philosophy DoSes are keen to cut down the number of students?

Do a subject because you love it not because it's easier to get into a top law firm in the end. If you do that, then you might just find that by virtue of caring about something intellectually - this will take you further personally than any calculation on the basis of what the top law firms are looking for, will.
Reply 6
Reema
*splutters* You do know that Philosophy at Cambridge is one of the most competitive statistically to get into, by virtue of the fact that Oxford doesn't do a straight BA in Philosophy? The applicant ratio is 6:1, as opposed to the average of 3:1. At my college I fought off 11 other applicants for the sole place available. On top of which, the popularity of the course is increasing and Philosophy DoSes are keen to cut down the number of students?

Do a subject because you love it not because it's easier to get into a top law firm in the end. If you do that, then you might just find that by virtue of caring about something intellectually - this will take you further personally than any calculation on the basis of what the top law firms are looking for, will.

Some sound advice there, especially the 2nd paragraph!

Latest

Trending

Trending