The Student Room Group

Access to Engineering.

Hi everyone

I am starting my access course at Manchester College in September. I was just wondering if anyone has been through this course or any like it because I'm starting to get nervous about how difficult it might be.

Thanks in advance!
Hi. I've just finished Access to Engineering (but not at Manchester). It is quite a tough course, but everybody on my course (the ones who didn't drop out anyway) ended up with university offers. If you're prepared to put the work in, it's manageable. Make sure you're well-prepared, if you have the time, before you start. I found it really helpful to work through GCSE text books in relevant subjects last August. Making a start on AS Level maths was also really useful. I only worked through the first 3 chapters of the book, but it made the first weeks much easier.
I've also just finished Access to Engineering (not at Manchester). It is difficult, but also very doable - if you do the work. A few people on our course didn't pass but guess what? They were the ones who skipped classes, were constantly late, and didn't submit assignments on time. All the students who showed up regularly and were consistent passed the course. Approach it with the right attitude and you will pass. Try to make some study friends as well, it helps a lot.

In addition to Schadenfreude65's suggestion about books, I recommend making good use of https://www.khanacademy.org/. I hadn't done any maths at all for 9 years so I'd pretty much forgotten everything, but that website helped me a lot.
Reply 3
Thanks for both replies. I feel a bit better now I have some perspective on the course. I recently re sat my GCSE Maths and English at college so hopefully that will help too. Thanks for the link I will take a look once I have finished work.

Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending