The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Are my GCSEs good enough for LSE economics

Hi, I was just wondering whether these GCSEs would be good enough for Economics at LSE, since I've heard from many that you need 7 or 8 or 10 A* etc. and I want to actually know whether my 'LSE Economics dream' is still realistic. Anyway, these are my targets for GCSEs which are realistic:

Maths Applications - A*
Maths Methods - A*
English Language - A*
English Literature - A
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A
German - A
Geography - A*
Economics - A*
Drama - A
(Plus A* in OCR linear Maths at Nov 2013)
Reply 1
You're one A* off so it's unlikely you should consider the LSE or any other institution for that matter.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Acidy
You're one A* off so it's unlikely you should consider the LSE or any other institution for that matter.

Okay thank you. I appreciate that LSE do take great notice to a candidate's quantity and proportion of A*.
Reply 3
Original post by Ecconomist
Okay thank you. I appreciate that LSE do take great notice to a candidate's quantity and proportion of A*.

I was being sarcastic. Your GCSE results are above if not the average for a competitive course such as Economics at the LSE. However this is only one important factor in the admissions process and as such you should continue to do well as you approach AS levels, etc.
Reply 4
Hi, I was just wondering whether these GCSEs would be good enough for Economics at LSE, since I've heard from many that you need 7 or 8 or 10 A* etc. and I want to actually know whether my 'LSE Economics dream' is still realistic. Anyway, these are my targets for GCSEs which are realistic:

Maths Applications - A*
Maths Methods - A*
English Language - A*
English Literature - A
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A
German - A
Geography - A*
Economics - A*
Drama - A

They're great GCSEs, LSE and the such don't pay major attention to GCSEs and I would definitely think that is above average GCSEs for LSE entry, just don't consider it a blanket. Ultimately it's your A-Levels that count and they're the ones you really want to be doing well in
Reply 5

Maths Applications - A*
Maths Methods - A*
English Language - A*
English Literature - A
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A
German - A
Geography - A*
Economics - A*
Drama - A

Hey,

I got an offer for LSE Economics a few months ago and I come from a very large college with a lot of people going to the same course as me - 6/7.

Firstly, congratulations on your GCSE score, it will serve you well in the future. Whilst the LSE can be absolute GCSE 'nazis' in many cases, as some of my friends found out the hard way, you have very little to worry about. I have seen a quite a lot of people get in with worse GCSE's than yours, and as long as your A level grades are spotless and your personal statement deluxe - that place is waiting for you!

The only time when I have seen the LSE act rather harshly is towards people who got excellent A level UMS grades, but a few C's and B's in their GCSE's in a really competitive course.
Reply 6
Original post by Mantown
Hey,

I got an offer for LSE Economics a few months ago and I come from a very large college with a lot of people going to the same course as me - 6/7.

Firstly, congratulations on your GCSE score, it will serve you well in the future. Whilst the LSE can be absolute GCSE 'nazis' in many cases, as some of my friends found out the hard way, you have very little to worry about. I have seen a quite a lot of people get in with worse GCSE's than yours, and as long as your A level grades are spotless and your personal statement deluxe - that place is waiting for you!

The only time when I have seen the LSE act rather harshly is towards people who got excellent A level UMS grades, but a few C's and B's in their GCSE's in a really competitive course.

Thank you very much for this constructive response; it's always very helpful when anecdotes are provided. Moreover, congratulations on your offer; it really is one of the most competitive courses in the country. I'm now not worried that these particular grades won't be a hindrance to my chances. Thanks again.
Reply 7
Of course they are good enough. But does that guarantee you a place? Absolutely not.
Reply 8
Original post by arminb
Of course they are good enough. But does that guarantee you a place? Absolutely not.

To be fair nothing is ever going to GUARANTEE a place at the Lse or any other university. The most important factor according to an Lse admissions tutor is the level of competition. If there are exceptionally strong candidates applying in a certain year then the average GCSEs for those accepted would generally shoot up.

Fortunately large shifts like those rarely tend to happen and therefore average GCSEs and other benchmarks for successfull candidates like the UMS tend to remain relatively stable.

Which is why the OP's grades can stand him in good stead if he continues to put in a lot of effort over the next year or so.

Maths Applications - A*
Maths Methods - A*
English Language - A*
English Literature - A
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A
German - A
Geography - A*
Economics - A*
Drama - A

About average, so you need to ensure your AS scores are high
I got an offer from LSE with 0A* 4A at gcse, but did well at AS. I'm probably a lucky one really

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending