The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

M.Sc. Computing Science (for Non-CS grads)

Hey guys,

I'm holding an unconditional offer for Imperial's CS master program (the one for non-CS majors), but I'm a bit worried about the pace and general difficulty of the whole course as I'm relatively unexperienced in programming (just done some basic C++ s far).
What were your experiences with the program, did you enjoy the course and was it quite doable? My background is business economics (so not very scientific). Really looking forward to hear back from you guys, thanks a lot!

Best,
Matthias
Hi Mattias,

I emailed the admissions tutors last year about the course (as I am thinking of applying for it) and they told me that I would find some elements easier as I have extensive programming knowledge. Of course, there will be other people who will be joining you with a lot of CS knowledge and experience, but it is not a prerequisite for the course and therefore will not be assumed; as long as you put the work in you shouldn't fall behind - it just might take you longer than someone else to pick up on things, and debug :P .
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by MattRaupa
Hey guys,

I'm holding an unconditional offer for Imperial's CS master program (the one for non-CS majors), but I'm a bit worried about the pace and general difficulty of the whole course as I'm relatively unexperienced in programming (just done some basic C++ s far).
What were your experiences with the program, did you enjoy the course and was it quite doable? My background is business economics (so not very scientific). Really looking forward to hear back from you guys, thanks a lot!

Best,
Matthias

Hey!

I will be doing the one for CS majors (advanced computing), and my background is nothing to do with CS either, though I do have quite a bit of programming experience.

Looking at the conversion course, it seems to be pretty standard 1st and 2nd year undergrad material, so you should be fine!

Original post by ViralRiver
Hi Mattias,

I emailed the admissions tutors last year about the course (as I am thinking of applying for it) and they told me that I would find some elements easier as I have extensive programming knowledge. Of course, there will be other people who will be joining you with a lot of CS knowledge and experience, but it is not a prerequisite for the course and therefore will not be assumed; as long as you put the work in you shouldn't fall behind - it just might take you longer than someone else to pick up on things, and debug :P .

If you have extensive programming knowledge already, why not do MSc Advanced Computing? It sounds a lot more varied and interesting. http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/computing/admissions/pg/mac

You also get much more freedom in selecting modules (almost everything is elective).

For the same price as the conversion course, too.
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
Hey!

I will be doing the one for CS majors (advanced computing), and my background is nothing to do with CS either, though I do have quite a bit of programming experience.

Looking at the conversion course, it seems to be pretty standard 1st and 2nd year undergrad material, so you should be fine!

If you have extensive programming knowledge already, why not do MSc Advanced Computing? It sounds a lot more varied and interesting. http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/computing/admissions/pg/mac

You also get much more freedom in selecting modules (almost everything is elective).

For the same price as the conversion course, too.

I was advised it was for CS majors only.
Reply 4
Isn't there anybody here that already absolved the aforementioned course? I'm also very interested about the exact length of the whole program, especially concerning the Individual Software Project at the end and whether it is necessary to stay in London during the project?
Original post by ViralRiver
I was advised it was for CS majors only.

It's designed for CS majors, but they don't require a CS degree, as long as you can show that you have roughly equivalent level of knowledge and experience as CS majors. I applied and was admitted.
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
It's designed for CS majors, but they don't require a CS degree, as long as you can show that you have roughly equivalent level of knowledge and experience as CS majors. I applied and was admitted.

Thanks for the reply; it will be something I consider if I can get the funding for the degree :smile: .
Reply 7
Probably it's too late but I can give you feedback on the course... to make it short, it is probably the most intense, exhausting and difficult time in my life so far. You need to work 24/7 to get at least a pass, for people that have no math background...good luck!
Reply 8
Okay, so I recently survived the course and wanted to share my insights with you. The course is hard, really hard, they keep you working like insane and the grading is tough.
Nevertheless, the master's degree is worth it. The learning curve is really steep since they maximized the content that can be put into a one-year program, basically you're learning 75% of the content covered in their undergraduate program + appropriate master electives. You will learn about C++, Java, Assembly Programming, Logic and AI Programming, Computer Architecture, Computer Systems, Logic Systems, Program Design, Algorithms etc. In the spring term you have to choose four electives that include interesting subjects like robotics, concurrent programming, networks, Artificial intelligence and much more.

You have to submit weekly assignments, group projects or papers, literally you are working continuously from the first week in October until the end of September. Your final master's projects can be really scientific or applied, this is dependent on the projects you choose. The professors are good and approachable. The brand name Imperial College helps a lot and the placement is excellent, many alumni either found their own startups, move into consulting or bulge bracket investment banks or go to one of the big tech companies like Palantir, Amazon, Google etc. The people you are studying with come from top universities in Europe (most from Oxbridge etc.) or American universities (like Ivy, Johns Hopkins, Wellesley etc.) and are smart and hard-working. All in all, the program is tough but prepares you well for whatever career you choose afterwards and provides you with an awesome brand name and excellent education.
(edited 8 years ago)
do you need maths A-level for the course ?
I go to a top 10 uni and I study politics BA
I will be taking A-level maths to help me during programming

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending