The Student Room Group

I want to be a diagnostic Radiographer....

I really want to be a diagnostic radiographer but I'm a bit worried about my options. I do Biology, Chemistry, Classics and Government and Politics.
I know I need at least one science which will be Biology but I don't know if I should carry on with Chemistry as it's not my best subject.
In terms of my work this year, I think I could get AAA-AAB with Biology, Classics and Gov and Pol as my options at A2 or get AAB, ABB or ABC with Chemistry (instead of Classics). I am also doing the EPQ which will be based around Radiography and Medical technology as a whole.

I would REALLY love to go to Exeter but I need some advice :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by oaidyl
I really want to be a diagnostic radiographer but I'm a bit worried about my options. I do Biology, Chemistry, Classics and Government and Politics.
I know I need at least one science which will be Biology but I don't know if I should carry on with Chemistry as it's not my best subject.
In terms of my work this year, I think I could get AAA-AAB with Biology, Classics and Gov and Pol as my options at A2 or get AAB, ABB or ABC with Chemistry (instead of Classics).

I would REALLY love to go to Exeter but I need some advice :smile:

Hey, I'm in year 12 also and want to become a diagnostic radiographer too. The grades you've listed are more than enough for most universities and I'm pretty sure Exeter wouldn't offer higher than ABB. If you search around you can probably find the 2014 applicants thread where you might get some more informed advice than I can give you. But generally it's 300 UCAS points, BBB, or ABB for the slightly higher ranked ones liked Leeds or Exeter. Btw have you got any work experience?
Reply 2
Original post by plasmaman
Hey, I'm in year 12 also and want to become a diagnostic radiographer too. The grades you've listed are more than enough for most universities and I'm pretty sure Exeter wouldn't offer higher than ABB. If you search around you can probably find the 2014 applicants thread where you might get some more informed advice than I can give you. But generally it's 300 UCAS points, BBB, or ABB for the slightly higher ranked ones liked Leeds or Exeter. Btw have you got any work experience?

Hi! I know the grades are enough but I'm just worried about whether Chemistry would be better as two sciences is better than one... but yeah, I've finally arranged work experience. I'm starting in August and I'm going to try and arrange at least one more. What about you?
Original post by oaidyl
Hi! I know the grades are enough but I'm just worried about whether Chemistry would be better as two sciences is better than one... but yeah, I've finally arranged work experience. I'm starting in August and I'm going to try and arrange at least one more. What about you?

Tbh you shouldn't be at a disadvantage only taking the one science, so if taking Bio and the two arts subjects is what will get you the best grades then I'd say go for it! Two sciences are generally for courses with high and complex scientific content. The course probably has very little Chemistry in it anyway (It's more anatomy from what I've seen so Bio is enough). Just best to really try and ace Bio next year as its the most relevant subject.
In terms of work experience, I've just sent off an application to my local hospital for an overview day, that's all I can find at the minute. Tbh I'm more nervous about the interview and getting the work experience than I am about the grades! :smile:
Reply 4
Tbh you shouldn't be at a disadvantage only taking the one science, so if taking Bio and the two arts subjects is what will get you the best grades then I'd say go for it! Two sciences are generally for courses with high and complex scientific content. The course probably has very little Chemistry in it anyway (It's more anatomy from what I've seen so Bio is enough). Just best to really try and ace Bio next year as its the most relevant subject.
In terms of work experience, I've just sent off an application to my local hospital for an overview day, that's all I can find at the minute. Tbh I'm more nervous about the interview and getting the work experience than I am about the grades! :smile:

So, what subjects do you do?

I found getting work experience really difficult. I had to call and email so many hospitals but I've finally found a 3 day placement. And yeah, I've heard that the interview is really difficult
Original post by oaidyl
So, what subjects do you do?

I found getting work experience really difficult. I had to call and email so many hospitals but I've finally found a 3 day placement. And yeah, I've heard that the interview is really difficult

Chem, Bio, History and Eng Lit.
I'll drop English most probably, simply because I enjoyed it the least. What other unis are you thinking of?
Reply 6
Chem, Bio, History and Eng Lit.
I'll drop English most probably, simply because I enjoyed it the least. What other unis are you thinking of?

Apart from Exeter, Cardiff, City University, Leeds and Liverpool. What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest