The Student Room Group

I don't understand how they grade you in electrical engineering.

I'm having a real big trouble getting decent grades, I always get a pass. It seems as if no matter how hard I try I can never get anything better than a pass, I ask the teacher of how to get better than a pass, he says to me that I need to include pictures into my assignment which I did yet he still gave me an average grade.

Isn't that funny? Despite how hard I tried in my assignments I am constantly given a pass. I was given one credit but that was in the computer technology assignment and yes, I had taken a look at the specification to achieve a better grade, I followed this but still didn't get anything great.

This was a research based course which meant we had to study in our own time, at home, I had literally looked everywhere on the internet for the assignments but still scraped a pass. I really struggle to understand how anyone would achieve anything better than pass when they had exactly the same resources as me...

It makes me wonder if there's something that affects the grading of the course that they do not tell you about, they give you a specification and you follow it, which I did but still only achieved around %56.

I had to learn calculus within a week, it was so damn complicated, I just don't understand college. They give you a specification, I follow it and then I don't achieve it. I enjoy the course but don't understand what it is that I'm missing to achieve the grade.

I'm a bad listener I have to admit, I have a terrible attention span and in the classes I don't always take in everything. I can't keep up with the teacher, I'm usually the slowest in the class to write everything and I miss parts. Surely it would be easier if they had just gave you sheets rather than having you write everything out.

The main thing is the assignments though, I have no clue of what I exactly need to do to achieve the grade, I follow the assignment grading criteria but still nothing better than a pass.

I had literally compared my assignment to someone next to me, he seemed to write a basic assignment but he still got a credit.

I'm studying HNC Electrical Engineering by the way.
Reply 1
This was a research based course which meant we had to study in our own time, at home, I had literally looked everywhere on the internet for the assignments but still scraped a pass. I really struggle to understand how anyone would achieve anything better than pass when they had exactly the same resources as me...

You won't do very well at university if you strategy relies on finding work done by others and using it for your own assignment.
Reply 2
Original post by ahpadt
You won't do very well at university if you strategy relies on finding work done by others and using it for your own assignment.

I'm not bashing you or anything but I'm not sure what you want him/her to do. As far as I understand he has been given a project to research and hes gone on the internet to find information. If you are saying that he can't simply just compile a load of research and not expand or develop on it then yes I agree with you.
Reply 3
"I'm a bad listener I have to admit, I have a terrible attention span and in the classes I don't always take in everything. I can't keep up with the teacher, I'm usually the slowest in the class to write everything and I miss parts. Surely it would be easier if they had just gave you sheets rather than having you write everything out."

Well, don't take me wrong but maybe elec is not really your cup of tea...
Do you understand everything in class? If you struggle to keep up, ask a friend if you can borrow their notes. Perhaps ask if your uni runs any study-skills workshops as you may not be taking notes very efficiently. Keep an eye out for any books your lecturers mention - they may contain more information on these topics, which will help you get the best grades. Ask if they have a detailed specification or a summary of what topics you are due to cover each year - then use this to double check that you have learnt everything. If you are unsure on a particular topic, don't be afraid to ask your lecturers for help or suggestions of books to read.
Do you present your ideas clearly and concisely in your assignments? Do you hand your assignments in on time? Do you spell-check and grammar-check your assignments? Basics like this can sometimes make up as much as 20% of your marks! From your OP, I would guess that you struggle to present your ideas clearly and concisely and may benefit from asking a friend to proof-read your assignment to check for basic English errors.
Are you making the best use of resources - you may find the library a better place to look than just googling a few things? Remember, when doing a research-based assignment it is not just about regurgitating everyone elses ideas - you need to analyse their conclusions yourself and give your own opinions. Question the reliability of sources and mention any concerns you have in your assignment - e.g. if they carried out some research but it was funded by a profit-making company that would benefit from their conclusions, maybe they selectively picked results or experiments that gave the conclusions they wanted.
Also, think about how you would use their research - e.g. if they discovered some important new property of a material, how could that be applied to an actual application in electrical engineering. Maybe you looked up some maths equations - give an example of how they would be used in real life and do some calculations yourself to show that you understood what you read.
Have you asked for feedback on previous assignments? This will give you an idea of what exactly you need to work on to get better marks next time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NullDrone
I'm having a real big trouble getting decent grades, I always get a pass. It seems as if no matter how hard I try I can never get anything better than a pass, I ask the teacher of how to get better than a pass, he says to me that I need to include pictures into my assignment which I did yet he still gave me an average grade.

Isn't that funny? Despite how hard I tried in my assignments I am constantly given a pass. I was given one credit but that was in the computer technology assignment and yes, I had taken a look at the specification to achieve a better grade, I followed this but still didn't get anything great.

It makes me wonder if there's something that affects the grading of the course that they do not tell you about, they give you a specification and you follow it, which I did but still only achieved around %56.

I had to learn calculus within a week, it was so damn complicated, I just don't understand college. They give you a specification, I follow it and then I don't achieve it. I enjoy the course but don't understand what it is that I'm missing to achieve the grade.

I'm a bad listener I have to admit, I have a terrible attention span and in the classes I don't always take in everything. I can't keep up with the teacher, I'm usually the slowest in the class to write everything and I miss parts. Surely it would be easier if they had just gave you sheets rather than having you write everything out.

The main thing is the assignments though, I have no clue of what I exactly need to do to achieve the grade, I follow the assignment grading criteria but still nothing better than a pass.

I had literally compared my assignment to someone next to me, he seemed to write a basic assignment but he still got a credit.

I'm studying HNC Electrical Engineering by the way.

How are you structuring your assignments? Are you writing in a technical manner, using technical language? Are you making proper use of tables, graphs, figures etc. and referencing them?
Reply 6
Original post by ElChapo
I'm not bashing you or anything but I'm not sure what you want him/her to do. As far as I understand he has been given a project to research and hes gone on the internet to find information. If you are saying that he can't simply just compile a load of research and not expand or develop on it then yes I agree with you.

I read it as that he tried to find other peoples work who had done an identical assignment, then just hand that work in. Maybe I misunderstood. Regardless, there really is no reason to complain about not being able to find research material. A lecturer won't give you an assignment (or is atleast very unlikely to, as most lecturers tend to do the same assignments year after year, or rotate between two) that has no available research content. If so, then you should contact the lecturer/teacher directly.

To put emphasis on this; my friends or myself have not been given an assignment at university which has been impossible to research. Yes, some things have been really tough to crack at times, but not impossible with sufficient effort.
Reply 7
No, all my work was my own. We were told to research the information and I can imagine the other students had found information from the same sources, I didn't copy them but they probably had the same as me because we were looking on the same place - Google. There wasn't a great deal of information on the questions asked and I don't see why other students would be graded more for the same information, I took time to understand what the information was about and wrote it in my own way, I would say some of my assignments really went into detail and yet I was given a credit, one assignment I wrote about 12 pages whereas most people in the class had wrote around 4 pages.

It makes me wonder if the teacher is biased to those students who already have work places, he purposely gave those he thought were less experienced in the industry and then graded them how he wanted. I just don't understand what exactly I would have to do to achieve the grade, I looked at the question many times to understand the question fully, their was no other criteria that we could look at to grade it, they don't give you a sheet on how they mark the exams so why is it that they expect you to achieve the grade if you don't know exactly what you would do to achieve it? Surely at the end of the day they want you to learn as most as you can and achieve the best grade, but if they aren't giving you the grading sheet then how do you do this? Or are you supposed to achieve the criteria without knowing exactly what gets you the marks?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest