The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
whether or not they can spell 'academic'
Dills

Because I am bored, Ill +rep you for that.
Reply 3
Dills

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Good shout
Why is it something you'd want to judge?
EffingKrazy
How can you judge whether someone is acadmic or not? what subjects would you say would be the best to test this? do you think philosophy is the most acedmic subject? opinions please.

They rarely ask meaningless questions replete with spelling errors.
Reply 6
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
If they use tapes to hold their glasses together in the middle, carry an inhaler, and are not too sexy for their shirts ;dots;
If they wear tweed
Reply 9
alfieatthelse
If they wear tweed

That's the one :smile:
Reply 10
See if they have ridiculously thick glasses and/or have an unnecessarily large and heavy schoolbag.
EffingKrazy
How can you judge whether someone is acadmic or not? what subjects would you say would be the best to test this? do you think philosophy is the most acedmic subject? opinions please.

An academic (noun) is someone occupying an academic position; a professor, for example. As such, you don't need a test. And obviously if you want to test whether someone is academically sucessful or not, you can just look at their exam scores. And you can't identify a "most academic" subject. If by "most academic" you actually mean "most abstract" or "least practical", then it would be pure mathematics.

smirf83
See if they have ridiculously thick glasses and/or have an unnecessarily large and heavy schoolbag.

No, that's how to tell if someone's nerdy, not academic. The two often coincide, but are not the same.
The dress sense that is opposite of Vickey Pollard from Little Britain.
Why do so many people's judgements of academia rely on clothing and appearance? Surely, given that academic study is concerned with non-practical theory, visual factors are the last thing you'd want to look at?
Reply 14
Chumbaniya
Why do so many people's judgements of academia rely on clothing and appearance? Surely, given that academic study is concerned with non-practical theory, visual factors are the last thing you'd want to look at?

Christ, it was a joke! :rolleyes:
smirf83
Christ, it was a joke! :rolleyes:

I didn't doubt that for a second; I don't think any individual case is intended seriously, but I think it's interesting that the focus on attire is a recurring thing. Given lots of joking references to clothes, it makes one wonder whether there's something underlying that, among people in general, not those who recognise it to be a non-serious indicator of being an academic. If you find a stereotype that a number of people joke about, it's pretty likely there's a sizeable group who take the stereotype more seriously.

And with TSR, you can never be too careful; some people on here are phenomenally stupid.
Reply 16
Their grades?
Reply 17
XxXmowgliXxX
Because I am bored, Ill +rep you for that.

Damn it! I was going to post exactly that but then thought it'd be too mean.

Curse my good nature!
Reply 18
There is one surefire way to judge whether or not someone is academic.

Run up to them whilst repeatedly screaming "cabbages" in a high pitched voice, and hopping on alternate legs. Then kick them between the legs as hard as you can. As they double up in pain and surprise, begin to dance around them in a circle, placing a pickled onion on the ground every 5 seconds. If they attack you, or question what you're doing, they are not academic.

If they complement you on the intricacy of the ritual, and begin to discuss potential improvements to it, they're academic alright.
I, for one, like tweed. :-P

Latest

Trending

Trending