The Student Room Group

Bought an expired drink from ASDA, what can I do?

I bought 2 cranberry and raspberry juice drink on Saturday. Both 1 litre.

Unfortunately I finished one yesterday and today I realised that they were both out of date.March 2014!!!

i plan to take the half full cranberry drink to asda today. I doubt I'll get a refund but perhaps a replacement? I have my receipt.

I've never had to check the best before end date on drinks before but luckily my eye caught it today. I did have stomach aches in the weekend. I'm disappointed in asda for having an out of date drink on their shelves. Months!
Reply 1
Original post by OnionRing

Unfortunately I finished one yesterday and today I realised that they were both out of date.March 2014!!!

i plan to take the half full cranberry drink to asda today. I doubt I'll get a refund but perhaps a replacement? I have my receipt.

I've never had to check the best before end date on drinks before but luckily my eye caught it today. I did have stomach aches in the weekend. I'm disappointed in asda for having an out of date drink on their shelves. Months!

SUE!!!!!! get yo'self some greeeeeeen brah.
Reply 2
I doubt it will harm you. Shops are allowed to sell out of date drinks and sweets as long as its not dairy or meat, but usually they are at a reduced price.
First, check if it's a best before or a use by date. Best before is still fine to eat/drink afterwards, but if it's a use by date then I'd definitely take it back and complain. They should replace it with one that's in date, or offer a refund, at the very least.

Email them or take it back into store. They will refund you because the price of a carton of cranberry juice will be absolutely nothing to them
Reply 5
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
First, check if it's a best before or a use by date. Best before is still fine to eat/drink afterwards, but if it's a use by date then I'd definitely take it back and complain. They should replace it with one that's in date, or offer a refund, at the very least.

It says:

Best Before End: Mar14

So I guess it's fine? That's really strange, I never knew they could sell out of date products :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by iJess
I doubt it will harm you. Shops are allowed to sell out of date drinks and sweets as long as its not dairy or meat, but usually they are at a reduced price.

I see. But the colour was quite dodgy. It was very light compared to normal.
Reply 7
Yeah best before just means before that date it will be at its best 'quality' if you like, people often muddle best before and use before
It says:

Best Before End: Mar14

So I guess it's fine? That's really strange, I never knew they could sell out of date products :frown:

Yeah, best before isn't too bad. It's not technically out of date then. It just means what it says 'it's best before this date, but it'd fine after as well'. It usually just means there might be some loss of taste or the colour might change or something if you leave it after that date.

I might still be tempted to take it back anyway and see what they say if you're still feeling weird about it. I'd be fine with it, but if it's bothering you then go back and they'll probably replace it anyway.
Reply 9
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Yeah, best before isn't too bad. It's not technically out of date then. It just means what it says 'it's best before this date, but it'd fine after as well'. It usually just means there might be some loss of taste or the colour might change or something if you leave it after that date.

I might still be tempted to take it back anyway and see what they say if you're still feeling weird about it. I'd be fine with it, but if it's bothering you then go back and they'll probably replace it anyway.

That makes sense, the colour of the cranberry drink was different but I didn't acknowledge it at the time.
I'm not too bothered anymore. But I'll take it back today to see what they say.

Thanks everyone for the speedy replies:smile:
Run date 3 days ago chicken I bought from Asda and i asked the customer service they told me they have to go to The shelf store I want to complain did you have an idea Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by Adem2019
Run date 3 days ago chicken I bought from Asda and i asked the customer service they told me they have to go to The shelf store I want to complain did you have an idea Thanks

That sentence makes absolutely no sense. Try again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending