The Student Room Group

Mature Students GCSE

I have made this thread because I cannot find a similar one in the GCSE section. Furthermore, some of the questions that are being asked in the GCSE section are not really relevant to Mature Students. I have found that quite a few mature students are only taking or retaking one or two GCSE's.

I have managed to successfully retake GCSE English and GCSE Science. However, I have taken and retaken my GCSE Maths over number years unsuccessfully. I decided to have another go at the GCSE maths because I was doing the Access course and I had two conditional offers form Bournemouth University and Sparsholt College. I know that I have at least fulfilled part of the conditional offers. I have passed my Access course with Merit. However, I have now reached the grey area of what will happen after I receive my GCSE maths result.

I know that the first AQA GCSE Maths paper felt horrendous and it went very badly but the second maths paper felt a lot better.

I have decided that I will wait and see what my GCSE Maths result is like in August and then take it from there. If I am rejected because of my GCSE Maths result I am willing to take my GCSE maths again or try level 2 Maths instead.

Just for fun: I will answer one of the questions from the GCSE section:

Will you cry?

If by some miracle I get a C in GCSE maths this year I will scream and cry before throwing a party. :colone:
Does the University course you wish to do require maths? I did much worse than you when I did my maths GCSE many moons ago but I found that it wasn't required for the course I wanted to do (Law).
Im 26 when doing GCSEs, the best way of learning ive found is Youtube, supplemented by a textbook. If your learning just with a book it makes it incredibly hard. Same as with a Science GCSE, I did Biology GCSE, I didn't understand a thing just reading books. The internet helped so much.
Reply 3
Original post by NebulousBlue
Does the University course you wish to do require maths? I did much worse than you when I did my maths GCSE many moons ago but I found that it wasn't required for the course I wanted to do (Law).

Were you originally given a conditional offer that said that you needed a C in GCSE maths?

I have been told different things from different people. The email said that I do not need to do the maths if it is not mentioned in the requirements. I looked at the website and it did not mention anything about maths at all. I then went to an open day and I was told that I should try and get my GCSE maths but there is a level 2 course that could be taken there. However, when I looked at my conditional offer it said that I need a C in GCSE maths. :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Im waiting for my maths results too, its a requirement for the unis I'm applying for.

The answers of the exam were posted on here the next day and based on them I did rubbish but im hoping the grade boundaries will be lower than last year as the exam was definitely harder.

Not to worry though, if we haven't scraped a C there are retakes in November. Good Luck!
For maths I found the khan academy and m4ths website very good.
Can I ask, if gained level2 in maths would university take me on PGCE,
Reply 7
I have received my GCSE maths result. I have a D but that is a vast improvement for me. I have being battling to escape from the dreaded E grade for many years now. I am not sure what is going happen now.

I guess that it is a waiting game, as UCAS will not updated for at least 23 hours. I have a couple of contingency plans if I am rejected. I will be retaking my GCSE maths again this year regardless of what happens. I am getting so close to achieving my aim of a C in GCSE maths that I would be a fool to give up now. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
I finally worked out yesterday evening that I was supposed to phone up the College admissions to pass on my GCSE maths result. I phoned them up at about 9.00am this morning. Admissions did not make the decision themselves. They phoned up the tutors of my course and then they had a quick discussion before phoning me up a few minuets ago.

I am really excited to say that I have been ACCEPTED! :biggrin: :dance:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending