The Student Room Group

I can't believe I didn't get a...

Hello, hello!

Bit of a funny one for current uni students here... I remember for the first 10+ weeks of uni, going to make a meal, getting half way through the cooking and just being like "Oh my GOD I cannot BELIEVE I didn't buy a sieve/cheese grater/spatula/bla bla".

What little luxuries/oddities/utensils/bits & bobs did you just not think to buy while mum & dad were whizzing round Asda with you on move-in day, that you could really have done with later on?

Awkward one from me.. I literally forgot cutlery. Made my first dinner, plated it up, realised I hadn't bought cutlery. Awkward knock on a flatmate's door.
and yet some students still live with their parents...
My brother left his pillow and since the halls didn't provide them, he spent the first term without one.:mmm: I think he actually forgot some kitchen stuff too like you and had to awkwardly knock on doors to borrow some.:colondollar:
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1

What's the problem with that? Weird.
Original post by shawn_o1

I still live at home. I'll never understand the assumption of living at home = not being able to do things for yourself. I've made all of my own meals since I was 12 years old because of dietary differences between myself and my parents (through choice, they didn't just decide they weren't going to cook for me anymore). I buy all of my own food (why shouldn't I?). I do all of my own washing, ironing, cleaning etc (again, why shouldn't I?). Put me in my own place and I guarantee I'd cope much better than most students in halls do. I won't be surviving on beans and noodles when I move out just because I didn't live in halls, just like living in halls doesn't automatically make you an adult. My friends in halls regularly ask me to show them how to do things. It isn't living at home that is the issue, it's the way you've been raised/your willingness to become independent.

Sorry, rant over. I'm sick of people making assumptions about people that live at home. It's like, "oh, sorry I have the opportunity to stay at home and save up for a deposit on a house rather than spend my money living in what I can only describe as my worst nightmare". I guess that means I'm still a toddler.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Thinedivine
My brother left his pillow and since the halls didn't provide them, he spent the first term without one.:mmm: I think he actually forgot some kitchen stuff too like you and had to awkwardly knock on doors to borrow some.:colondollar:

Why didnt he just buy one? Pillow isn't that expensive. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GoingToBurst
I still live at home. I'll never understand the assumption of living at home = not being able to do things for yourself. I've made all of my own meals since I was 12 years old because of dietary differences between myself and my parents (through choice, they didn't just decide they weren't going to cooke for me anymore). I buy all of my own food (why shouldn't I?). I do all of my own washing, ironing, cleaning etc (again, why shouldn't I?). Put me in my own place and I guarantee I'd cope much better than most students in halls do. I won't be surviving on beans and noodles when I move out just because I didn't live in halls, just like living in halls doesn't automatically make you an adult. My friends in halls regularly ask me to show them how to do things. It isn't living at home that is the issue, it's the way you've been raised/your willingness to become independent.

Sorry, rant over. I'm sick of people making assumptions about people that live at home. It's like, "oh, sorry I have the opportunity to stay at home and save up for a deposit on a house rather than spend my money living in what I can only describe as my worst nightmare". I guess that means I'm still a toddler.

That's very impressive, good on you :smile:
Original post by donutaud15
Why didnt he just buy one? Pillow isn't that expensive. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree...guess he was tight on money ha
I moved out without my phone charger :facepalm:

In terms of stuff I forgot to buy, it was pretty basic stuff like a cheese grater and an oven tray and stuff. Nothing I couldn't live without :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
I forgot to bring a clothes drying rack so I had to walk two miles from the city centre to my accommodation with a clothes rack under my arm. I also only brought one hand towel but only realised after two months when I finally washed it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending