The Student Room Group

Pakistani Muslim moving to London for Uni

Hey guys, I kind of need some advice.

I am moving from my home in Pakistan to London to university. I was wondering if there was anything a Londoner could tell me which I might not know? Anything to bring? Places to go? Places to avoid? Any advice is appreciated :smile:

Also I'm Muslim so I'm not really interested in night clubs or discos :smile: I'm gonna be living in Islington, is the area good?

Scroll to see replies

Bring a lot of money.

Make friends and go places with them.
Reply 2
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Bring a lot of money.

Make friends and go places with them.

I intend to make friends :biggrin:

Are you a Londoner?
Original post by BismaKhan

I intend to make friends :biggrin:

Are you a Londoner?

Yup.. I shall be staying in London studying at City University.
Reply 4
You can buy all your groceries from Tesco or halal supermarkets.

London is pretty safe but avoid walking alone after midnight.

Btw you will start going to clubs by the end of your degree. Most muslims eventually end up going
Reply 5
Hey guys, I kind of need some advice.

I am moving from my home in Pakistan to London to university. I was wondering if there was anything a Londoner could tell me which I might not know? Anything to bring? Places to go? Places to avoid? Any advice is appreciated :smile:

Also I'm Muslim so I'm not really interested in night clubs or discos :smile: I'm gonna be living in Islington, is the area good?

You will be fine, depending on where you live it will be like coming home. Check out Southall
Reply 6
Money is the main thing

Tourist attractions would be trafalgar square, madame tussards or however you spell it you can zip wire across the thames i think? And the london eye is pretty good also the aquarium

Then just the normal buckingham palace, big ben etc
Avoid most British-Pakistanis, this is going to be the most helpful advice ever.
Goodluck with your degree!
Reply 9
Original post by James222

Btw you will start going to clubs by the end of your degree. Most muslims eventually end up going

I heard there was a lot of halal places :smile:

Thanks for the advice, hopefully I'll get my drivers licence :smile:

Yh you may think that but I'm not like that :smile: also considering how anti Islam this forum id rather not get into Muslim habits :smile: the isoc people seem pretty nice :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Yup.. I shall be staying in London studying at City University.

That's nice :smile: Cass? I was thinking about applying there but thought Geography would interest me more :smile:
Original post by AlligatorSky
Avoid most British-Pakistanis, this is going to be the most helpful advice ever.

This is not helpful.
Reply 12
Original post by MASTER265
You will be fine, depending on where you live it will be like coming home. Check out Southall

Haha "Coming home" :biggrin: I've heard about Southall, def gonna go there :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Dilsz
Money is the main thing

Tourist attractions would be trafalgar square, madame tussards or however you spell it you can zip wire across the thames i think? And the london eye is pretty good also the aquarium

Then just the normal buckingham palace, big ben etc

Thanks I'll google some of them :smile:

Original post by AlligatorSky

Believe it or not this is what my uncle said :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by LookForTheDots
Goodluck with your degree!

That's nice :smile: Cass? I was thinking about applying there but thought Geography would interest me more :smile:

Yeah Cass for Investment & Financial Risk Management. KCL's a great school, I'm sure you'll enjoy your time in London.
Reply 16
Original post by James222

My Muslim friend told me that Muslims are supposed to avoid Tesco lol.
Reply 17
I have lived in London almost my entire life, and walking around by yourself after midnight is not a problem at all. There is nowhere in London that I wouldn't go at any time of day.
Reply 18
Original post by Rosie786

My Facebook said the same :smile: Apparently they are heavily pro Israel :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by Rosie786

is this to do with the israeli thing?

Latest

Trending

Trending