The Student Room Group

im really panicking about my AS level choices

im going to do english lit, english lang, media studies and biology AS levels in sept
well im just panicking that im making the wrong choice. that maybe i have a stupid combination.

at GCSE i loved english lit, love reading and ended up getting an A in it. i ve read the english language revision book at waterstones and it sounds sooo interesting. (got a B at GCSE)

in media studies, i also got an A in it, but its not really respected though i loved it so so much at GCSE.

for biology, i really loved the subject got A's and A*s in my tests during yr10+11 but i was rubbish at chemistry and physics which brought my result down to a BB.

people are saying its too much of an english overlap and well im really really worried im making the wrong decision, espesh since my parents want me to go into medicine and go to uni in america and they are disappointed with my subject choices.. and me....and so i feel really bad..

please help :frown:
Reply 1
Firstly, Media Studies is included on both LSE and Cambridge's lists of subjects that provide "a less effective preparation" for their courses. I don't wish to suggest that other universities necessarily adopt the same viewpoint but I imagine that a fair few of the top ones perhaps prefer other subjects.

However, I believe that your other three subjects are considered academic so, as a fourth subject, Media Studies is fine. At the end of the day, you want to take subjects you enjoy and that you'll do well in. If you're applying for a very competitive course (i.e. Medicine), you may wish to consider taking a more traditional subject though.

Secondly, if you want to study Medicine, I'm fairly certain that you need to be taking Chemistry. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on this topic will comment further.

Furthermore, you cannot study Medicine as an undergraduate in the United States.

I also don't know how universities feel about people taking both English Literature and English Language. My school doesn't offer English Language (rather English Literature and a combined option) so I'm not too clued up on the ins and outs here.
Reply 2
Dr_Evil_666

people are saying its too much of an english overlap and well im really really worried im making the wrong decision, espesh since my parents want me to go into medicine and go to uni in america and they are disappointed with my subject choices.. and me....and so i feel really bad..

please help :frown:

what do you want to do? do you want to go into medicine, and go to uni in america if YOU do then i think you need to reconsider drop one of the english for another science, but i don't think you really want to do medicine or esle you would have probably picked another science. consider what you want to do. if you without the opinions or everyone else is happy with your options then keep them, if not and you do want to do medicine etc etc then perhaps reconsider a subject.
Reply 3
are they good subjects to do if i want to do an english degree and become an english teacher?
Reply 4
Dr_Evil_666
are they good subjects to do if i want to do an english degree and become an english teacher?

yeh totally i would say. you've got english which i'd say is prety much core lol
A-levels are very hard work and you have to do the subjects you want to do, not what your parents want you to do, otherwise you won't be motivated to put the work in. I'm sure you parents would prefer you to get good grades in your options and go on to do English at uni than fail the subjects they want you to do and drop out. Media studies isn't particularly respected, but it's fine to have one subject that isn't and it also ties in very nicely with English.
Reply 6
I agree with everyone else, do what you want to do. It's your life, not your parents'. You don't need to be a doctor to be happy and your parents will have to realise that eventually. You probably don't have what it takes to get onto a medicine course (as you said yourself that you're rubbish at chemistry and medicine is intensely competitive) and failing to get any uni offers is surely more disappointing than getting plenty for something you enjoy and want to study.

Latest