The Student Room Group

Grades for dentistry?!

Hi, it seems to be that every uni wants AAA for dentistry. I have one year left of A levels, so don't know my final grades yet. Do they ever give offers for lower than that? Thanks!
Original post by becky24601
Hi, it seems to be that every uni wants AAA for dentistry. I have one year left of A levels, so don't know my final grades yet. Do they ever give offers for lower than that? Thanks!

I got an offer for 2 A's. Hope that answers your question.
Reply 2
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
I got an offer for 2 A's. Hope that answers your question.

Yes thank you, where did you apply to if you don't mind me asking? I'm hoping to go to Cardiff but haven't spoken to many students there yet!
I imagine that they want high grades- maybe start self studying before next term
Yes thank you, where did you apply to if you don't mind me asking? I'm hoping to go to Cardiff but haven't spoken to many students there yet!

I applied to Kings College London, Queen Mary, Bristol, and Plymouth.

I chose to study at Plymouth.

To add to my previous response, my friend was offered AAA, he achieved AAB and got accepted.
Reply 6
Original post by sunnydespair
I imagine that they want high grades- maybe start self studying before next term

Thanks, I am hoping too, I got the textbooks for next term early to look at this summer.
Reply 7
To add to my previous response, my friend was offered AAA, he achieved AAB and got accepted.

Ah that's great for him! Thank you, I was nervous because I hadn't heard of many but that's a relief! Out of interest, what did you think of Bristol and what do you currently think of Plymouth? Bristol will probably be one of my choices but I haven't yet seen it as it's far to travel. Thanks again!
Ah that's great for him! Thank you, I was nervous because I hadn't heard of many but that's a relief! Out of interest, what did you think of Bristol and what do you currently think of Plymouth? Bristol will probably be one of my choices but I haven't yet seen it as it's far to travel. Thanks again!

Plymouth - Amazing course structure, amazing professors, amazing city. Really easy to learn here. They don't throw long lectures at you, infact, we barely have any lectures. Most sessions are class room based so you get to ask a lot of question if you don't understand something. Most of the learning is practical based and you start treating patients in year 1. You have tons more experience than all other dental schools in the UK in terms of using instruments in a dental clinic and actually performing things like fillings and other operations. As far as I know, all other schools don't even do any practical learning in year 1.

Bristol - Don't know, never been there, could be good, could be bad.
Plymouth - Amazing course structure, amazing professors, amazing city. Really easy to learn here. They don't throw long lectures at you, infact, we barely have any lectures. Most sessions are class room based so you get to ask a lot of question if you don't understand something. Most of the learning is practical based and you start treating patients in year 1. You have tons more experience than all other dental schools in the UK in terms of using instruments in a dental clinic and actually performing things like fillings and other operations. As far as I know, all other schools don't even do any practical learning in year 1.

Bristol - Don't know, never been there, could be good, could be bad.

I think a number of schools are starting to follow the trend at plymouth of first year practice. I know barts have started doing it and I think sheffield?
Bristol don't start until third year which is FAR FAR too late. Also, apparently manchester has had some real problems since they've changed the course structure?
Original post by alevelzzz
I think a number of schools are starting to follow the trend at plymouth of first year practice. I know barts have started doing it and I think sheffield?
Bristol don't start until third year which is FAR FAR too late. Also, apparently manchester has had some real problems since they've changed the course structure?

Barts haven't started to do it. But I think sheffield is the only other school that has.
Barts haven't started to do it. But I think sheffield is the only other school that has.

leeds also do that too :P
Reply 12

Yeah Bart's absolutely sucks, 2 years of full theory before you star doing practicals.
Original post by Blobar
Yeah Bart's absolutely sucks, 2 years of full theory before you star doing practicals.

Thats so **** IMO.
Theres a lot of complaints from young dentists and VT trainers saying that they don't have enough clinical skills to carry out procedures, they feel A LOT of stress when they go into the world of work.
Dentistry is more a skill, academics aren't going to teach you how to be a good dentist.

Quick Reply

Latest